[net.lang.c] unix documentation

tps@sdchem.UUCP (Tom Stockfisch) (08/04/86)

In article <5733@sun.uucp> guy@sun.UUCP writes:
>> >Read the code, not the manual page!
>> This may come as a great surprise to you, but some of us don't HAVE source
>> code :-(
>This may come as a great surprise to you, but I'm at least as aware of that
>as you.  However, the person in question was talking about 4.3BSD, which
>means they almost certainly had source code...
>	Guy Harris

Biggest surprise:  of the more than 100 users on our system, only *4* are
allowed to look at UNIX software.  Are only local gurus supposed to use
library functions?

--Tom Stockfisch, UCSD Chemistry

guy@sun.UUCP (08/07/86)

> Biggest surprise:  of the more than 100 users on our system, only *4* are
> allowed to look at UNIX software.

The person in question worked at Bellcore, not UCSD, so UCSD's policies may
or may not be relevant.

> Are only local gurus supposed to use library functions?

No.  I never said that, and I'm getting tired of people inferring that I
believe that.  It *is*, however, the case that with many (if not most) UNIX
systems, anybody who *isn't* a local guru may end up getting caught by the
crappy UNIX documentation.  If you have source, you should check it if you
have any suspicion whatsoever that the UNIX documentation may not be
correct.  If you don't have source, either find somebody who does or test
the function yourself (if practical) before using it.  Asking the vendor may
or may not do any good; they may just read you the documentation.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)