[net.lang.c] RTFM vs RTFSC

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/27/86)

In article <5530@sun.uucp> guy@sun.UUCP writes:
[Regarding the 4.3 *and* Sys5 getopt(3) man pages being wrong]
> Read the code, not the manual page!

	That this should have to be the case is perhaps the strongest
reason why I wouldn't consider buying a system without source (when we
recently had to decide between Sun and Sequent, Sequent lost largely
because they wouldn't release source for a reasonable price).  This is also
on of the strongest reasons why I don't think Unix is really going to make
it as a commercial system (the current rash of commercial ports of Unix
notwithstanding).
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (08/09/86)

In article <2402@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In article <5530@sun.uucp> guy@sun.UUCP writes:
> [Regarding the 4.3 *and* Sys5 getopt(3) man pages being wrong]
>> Read the code, not the manual page!
> [this is why we demand source with a system] (when we recently had to
> decide between Sun and Sequent, Sequent lost largely because they
> wouldn't release source for a reasonable price).

Does Sun?

We are a university.  We bought source from Sun.  We were given the
impression that the tapes contained full source (it was a "university
package" or some such).  Second time I look at it, it's to fix a bug in
the pixrect library.  There's no source to the pixrect library!  Turns
out there's no source to dbx, cc, or pc as well.  It seems this is
barely a skeleton system!  They want to gouge us some $K ($1K-$10K, I
forget) for 7 "packages" (pixrect, cc, etc).  Suddenly a MicroVAX with
4.[23] looks much more attractive....

What I consider slimy is that we were given the impression (I don't
know whether we were told outright) that the first tape was full
source.  I just hope we *were* told so, in writing....

By the way, the bug in the pixrect library is that depth=1 pixrects
ignore the "reverse video" flag on a pr_put()....anybody got a fix?
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse@uw-beaver.arpa

"Come with me a few minutes, mortal, and we shall talk."
			- Thanatos (Piers Anthony's Bearing an Hourglass)