[net.lang.c] entry keyword?

corwin@hope.UUCP (John Kempf) (08/19/86)

Can anyone tell me what the entry keyword is supposed to do?
I have seen it mentioned in several C books, but all of them
say that it is supposed to be implimented later.
thanks,
-cory

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades
will seriously cramp his style."

VOICE:  (714) 788 0709
UUCP:   {ucbvax!ucdavis,sdcsvax,ucivax}!ucrmath!hope!corwin
ARPA:   ucrmath!hope!corwin@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
USNAIL: 3637 Canyon Crest apt G302
        Riverside Ca.  92507

--

In article <574@hope.UUCP> corwin@hope.UUCP (John Kempf) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what the entry keyword is supposed to do?
>I have seen it mentioned in several C books, but all of them
>say that it is supposed to be implimented later.
>thanks,

	It was "reserved" so that multiple entry points to a single
routine could be added to the language later, a la PL/I. For example:

void func1(a)
int a;
{
	int b;

	b = f(a);
	/* Do some stuff */
entry func2(a, b)
	/* Do some more stuff */
	return;
}

	Or anyway something like that. The idea is to allow related
routines to shre code more efficiently. The feature will probably
never be implemented though, so it is probably just of historical
interest.
---

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??

> ...probably never be implemented though, so [entry] is probably just
> of historical interest.

In fact, I believe X3J11 has officially dropped "entry" as a keyword.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology