[net.lang.c] curses replacement

guido@mcvax.uucp (Guido van Rossum) (10/21/86)

In an article over two weeks old, I mentioned that I had a "replacement
for curses" and was willing to offer the source.  Some replies arrived,
but I was not able to respond to all.  In reply to you all: I am going
to mail this to the mod.sources moderator, so (hoepfully) in two weeks
everybody will see this source.

NOTE: although this it is advertised as a curses replacement, it is not
a (PD or otherwise) curses re-implementation.  It is a package for
terminal-independent screen I/O, based on termcap, with an application
interface that is totally different from curses (the specs were posted
in the announcing article).

P.S.: the announcement was in the first place intended to start a
discussion about the ideal interface for such a package.  I received 0
(zero, nil, null, NO) reponses.  Is nobody here interested in improving
the world anymore, only in grabbing what they can?

	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@mcvax.uucp>

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (10/23/86)

In article <7114@boring.mcvax.UUCP> guido@boring.uucp (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>In an article over two weeks old, I mentioned that I had a "replacement
>for curses" and was willing to offer the source.  Some replies arrived,
>P.S.: the announcement was in the first place intended to start a
>discussion about the ideal interface for such a package.  I received 0
>(zero, nil, null, NO) reponses.  Is nobody here interested in improving
>the world anymore, only in grabbing what they can?

The latest issue of DATAMATION mentions ANSI, Sun, and DEC each pushing
window interfaces (which are a generalization of the 'curses' concept).
On the net side, the job control discussion in mod.std.unix has split
off a windowing discussion.  [Details submitted to mod.std.unix]

People ARE trying to improve the world.  But the windowers want it to
be perfect. :-)  Until it is, I appreciate practical tools such as yours.
(And I'll be updating some such tools on the real computer due soon, instead
of this Lisa XENIX without flexnames)
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon    Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dicome,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N  93 08 W (612)481-3507                  ihnp4!meccts!mecc!sewilco