[net.music] Dirge Music

7995pk13@sjuvax.UUCP (kirsch) (03/21/85)

I see that someone already mentioned The Cure as a good depressing band.
I saw them in NYC and they were incredible. Has anyone heard their new
live album "Concert"? It's only available as an import here in Phila. and
I'm reluctant to buy it until I get an idea of what it's like. If I were
going to reccommend a Cure album it would definitely be "Pornography". I think
100 years is their best song.
  As far as other depressing bands go I've never heard them but a band
called "Section 25" is supposed to sound like Joy Division. (They're on the
same label). Also a weirder but still somewhat depressing band is 'Bauhaus'.
A few more: Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths...
if you'd like more info send me mail.

--
Paul Kirsch                                             St. Joseph's Univ.
{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!7995pk13      Phila., Pa.

Where do birds go when it rains ?

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/25/85)

Someone already mentioned the album Howard Devoto did with the Cocteau
Twins and others (name forgotten), along with the Cure, Joy Division,
Siouxsie & the Banshees, and the Smiths (who offer JD-esque depression
with an almost happy-go-lucky sound; exception:  How Soon is Now?, which
is an incredible neo-psychedelic wash).

There is a new band called Red Lorry Yellow Lorry who are supposed to be
the heirs to JD's crown of ultimate angstmusik.  My friend saw them play
in NYC and liked them a lot (this is a person for whom angstmusik is
everything, from Robert Wyatt to Pere Ubu to Joy Division, thus I'd call
him an authority on the genre).  I don't know if they have a record out
yet, but they are worth looking for.
--
"Right now it's only a notion, but I'm hoping to turn it into an idea, and if
 I get enough money I can make it into a concept."       Rich Rosen pyuxd!rlr

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (03/27/85)

> There is a new band called Red Lorry Yellow Lorry who are supposed to be
> the heirs to JD's crown of ultimate angstmusik.  My friend saw them play
> in NYC and liked them a lot (this is a person for whom angstmusik is
> everything, from Robert Wyatt to Pere Ubu to Joy Division, thus I'd call
> him an authority on the genre).  I don't know if they have a record out
> yet, but they are worth looking for.
> --
    Rich Rosen pyuxd!rlr

RLYL has an EP titled "Hollow Eyes" and a new LP, "Monkeys on Juice"--
off the top of my head i think they're on cherry red but don't quote me.
there's also another EP somewhere.  get them all.

markb@druri.UUCP (BryantME) (03/27/85)

>  As far as other depressing bands go I've never heard them but a band
> called "Section 25" is supposed to sound like Joy Division. (They're on the
> same label).

Yes, Section 25 is on Factory records (as are Joy Division).  Their sound,
however, is much more like later New Order material (which is the band that
Joy Division evolved into).  With female lead vocals.  It is good music,
but I would not consider it Dirge music.

Another band with this kind of sound is "A Popular History of Signs".
Their album "Comrades" (on Wax Trax records) sounds a lot like
New Order "Power, Corruption and Lies".

I do find Echo and the Bunnymen and the Cure to be depressing at times,
but listening to The Smiths puts a smile on my face.  With lyrics like
"I'm not looking for a lover, I just want to be tied to the back of
your car" (from "You've Got Everything Now"), I can't help but smile.

Mark Bryant
AT&T Information Systems, Denver CO
ihnp4!druri!markb

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/28/85)

>> As far as other depressing bands go I've never heard them but a band
>>called "Section 25" is supposed to sound like Joy Division. (They're on the
>>same label).

> Yes, Section 25 is on Factory records (as are Joy Division).  Their sound,
> however, is much more like later New Order material (which is the band that
> Joy Division evolved into).  With female lead vocals.  It is good music,
> but I would not consider it Dirge music.  [MARK BRYANT]

Factory Records used to be a repository for dirge music bands, Section 25
and Stockholm Monsters among them.  The one man responsible for producing
most of these records is Martin Hannett.  Hannett has produced Joy
Division, Section 25, Stockholm Monsters, as well as early Psychedelic
Furs (I think Sister Europe and other songs from that first record), and
(under the name Martin Zero) OMD's classic ditty "Electricity".

> I do find Echo and the Bunnymen and the Cure to be depressing at times,
> but listening to The Smiths puts a smile on my face.  With lyrics like
> "I'm not looking for a lover, I just want to be tied to the back of
> your car" (from "You've Got Everything Now"), I can't help but smile.

There's something about the Smiths.  Though Morrissey's lyrics are oftimes
quite openly gay-oriented, he often comes through with statements that are
universally poignant ("I am human and I need to be loved, just like
everybody else does" from How Soon is Now?).  And the ever popular...
--
"Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?  I dunno."
				Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

bub@ames.UUCP (Bubbette McLeod) (03/29/85)

>  Also a weirder but still somewhat depressing band is 'Bauhaus'.

Have any of you gotten into Tones On Tail? Two guys from the now defunct
Bauhaus are in it. Performance is the song that's gotten the most
non-commercial radio station airplay around here (Northern Ca.).
As far as I know, they don't get ANY commercial airplay (like lots of the
good stuff).  I particularly  like Rain, the long song on the second side
of their album POP. Unfortunately, I got into them about 3 weeks after
they played S.F., and I DON'T thing they're a band that tours very often.

How about a review, Rosen? I know you're a recent convert.

Bub

{allegra, decwrl, dual, ihnp4,}!ames!bub or ames!bub@riacs

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/01/85)

> and Stockholm Monsters among them.  The one man responsible for producing
> most of these records is Martin Hannett.  Hannett has produced Joy
> Division, Section 25, Stockholm Monsters, as well as early Psychedelic
> Furs (I think Sister Europe and other songs from that first record), and
> 				Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

	Steve Lillywhite produced the first two P-furs albums. He produced
*all* the songs on the import version of the first album, and Hannet
produced two songs on the domestic version, which was released here about
five months later. The songs were "Soap Commercial" and "Susan's Strange"
(neither of which appears on the import, which features "Blacks/Radio"
instead).

	ps. refering to a previous message, could you be confusing
*Joe* Morrissey with *Paul* Morley at NME ?
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (04/03/85)

>>  Also a weirder but still somewhat depressing band is 'Bauhaus'.
>
>Have any of you gotten into Tones On Tail? Two guys from the now defunct
>Bauhaus are in it. Performance is the song that's gotten the most
>non-commercial radio station airplay around here (Northern Ca.).

	Yeah, I bought a 45 by Tones On Tail. The A side has a wispy song
called Lions (which I listened to only 2 or 3 times). The B side is
instantly likeable, its called GO! Its got a heavy synth bass, its
rougher than the A side, and its highly danceable. The only other song
of theirs I've heard is "OK This is the Pops" which I like. I couldn't
find it as a single, is it on an album?

abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A.Hudson) (04/08/85)

> >>  Also a weirder but still somewhat depressing band is 'Bauhaus'.
> >
> >Have any of you gotten into Tones On Tail? Two guys from the now defunct
> >Bauhaus are in it. Performance is the song that's gotten the most
> >non-commercial radio station airplay around here (Northern Ca.).

Tones on Tail have an album, "POP!".  The album is hardly pop
and I liken it very much to certain older aspects of Bauhaus.
It has some pretty intense interludes. These guys toured the US
earlier this year.

Another former member of Bauhaus is singing for Dali's Car.
This is an amalgamation of Japan and him and sounds like Japan
but with a Bauhaus singer. I always thought Japan was a little too
slick but some feel it has pop appeal.

The third and possibly best spinter of Bauhaus is Davis J.
He currently has a 45 out, "I Can't Shake This Shadow of Fear".
The song and songwriting reflect the genius that once was Bauhaus.
One can only hope that he will follow with an album of equal
intensity.

Rumor dept: Bauhaus may be reforming.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/09/85)

>>  Also a weirder but still somewhat depressing band is 'Bauhaus'.
>
> Have any of you gotten into Tones On Tail? Two guys from the now defunct
> Bauhaus are in it. Performance is the song that's gotten the most
> non-commercial radio station airplay around here (Northern Ca.).
> As far as I know, they don't get ANY commercial airplay (like lots of the
> good stuff).  I particularly  like Rain, the long song on the second side
> of their album POP. Unfortunately, I got into them about 3 weeks after
> they played S.F., and I DON'T thing they're a band that tours very often.
>
> How about a review, Rosen? I know you're a recent convert.
>
> Bub {allegra, decwrl, dual, ihnp4,}!ames!bub or ames!bub@riacs

Well, I never really thought of Tones on Tail as "dirge music" in the
pure sense.  They're very "atmosphery", and the atmosphere they produce
varies from slow repetitive drones (with an admittedly dirgey edge) to
biting hard driving sounds like "Performance" (from POP) and "Go" (the B-side
of their latest single).  I tried classifying them as a combination of
Violent Femmes (or at least what I had expected VF to be like after hearing
"Gone Daddy Gone"), Siouxsie & the Banshees, the "kinky" arrangements of
the Residents, and who knows what else, but as with all really good new
sounds classifying them was a fruitless effort.  Suffice to say that they
are both very interesting and very exciting to listen to.  I have the album
"POP" on tape (Thanks, Bubbette!) and I've heard "GO" and I'm anxious to get
the chance to hear some more.
--
"When you believe in things that you don't understand, you'll suffer.
 Superstition ain't the way."		- Stevie Wonder ("Superstition")

hall@beta.DEC (DAN HALL DTN 264-5879) (04/12/85)

> >Another former member of Bauhaus is singing for Dali's Car.
> >This is an amalgamation of Japan and him and sounds like Japan
> >but with a Bauhaus singer. I always thought Japan was a little too
> >slick but some feel it has pop appeal.

Dalis Car is vocalist Peter Murphy from Bauhaus and bassist Mick Karn
from Japan.  Karn plays most of the instruments on their debut album
"The Waking Hour".  I don't think it sounds like Bauhaus or Japan.
Listen to Karn's new album "Titles":  it sounds like that without
Murphy's vocals.  Also ex-Japan members Steve Jansen and Richard
Barbieri play on "Titles", but it still doesn't sound like Japan
without David Sylvian's vocals.

Someone mentioned "Soul Awakening" by The The as good dirge music.
Actually, the music is fairly upbeat but the lyrics are depressing.
Matt Johnson, who is The The, released an album before that on 4AD
records called "Burning Blue Soul" that sounds much more dismal,
closer to what Bauhaus was doing.

Dan Hall
decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-beta!hall

How can anyone know me when I don't even know myself? - The The

hall@beta.DEC (DAN HALL DTN 264-5879) (04/15/85)

...from my posting 12-Apr-85,

>  Also, someone mentioned "Soul Awakening" by The The

Sorry, that's "Soul Mining".

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (04/16/85)

In article <> hall@beta.DEC (DAN HALL   DTN 264-5879) writes:

>Dalis Car is vocalist Peter Murphy from Bauhaus and bassist Mick Karn
>from Japan.  Karn plays most of the instruments on their debut album
>"The Waking Hour".  I don't think it sounds like Bauhaus or Japan.
>Listen to Karn's new album "Titles":  it sounds like that without
>Murphy's vocals.  Also ex-Japan members Steve Jansen and Richard
>Barbieri play on "Titles", but it still doesn't sound like Japan
>without David Sylvian's vocals.

Let's get more specific here. Mick Karn's solo album is composed of
one side of pretty Japan-esque sounding stuff (that is, lot of woody
and bell-like timbres from the Prophet over an open rhythmic vamp that
winds up as a four against some ethnic sounding syncopation) with Karn's
fretless bass mixed forward. It's pretty nice for what it is: fourth-wave
ethno pop in search of a singer. The second side is the stuff that might
remind you the Peter Murphy stuff-longer, dronier pieces of Bauhausish
stuff. Unfortunately for Karn's solo album, the vocalists (and Karn does
a bit of it himself) are miserable-a kind of reedy whine that only works
on the Near-Eastern flavoured cover of that old religious chestnut "Savior,
are you with me?" Dan's right though-the thing that really marks Dali's car is
Peter's voice, in the same sense that Sylvian's voice marks the Japan
stuff. Mick Karn has a single out with Midge Ure of Ultravox as well.

I picked up the Karn in the cutout bin, so keep thine eyes peeled. While
you're at it, check out David Sylvian's solo "Brilliant Trees" w/Jon Hassel
and Riuchi Sakamoto and Holger Czukay.
Once I was young:once I was smart:now I'm living on the edge of my nerves:-Japan
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet

bub@ames.UUCP (Bubbette McLeod) (04/17/85)

> 	Yeah, I bought a 45 by Tones On Tail.  ........  The only other song
> of theirs I've heard is "OK This is the Pops" which I like. I couldn't
> find it as a single, is it on an album?

The song is on an import album called There's Only One Tones On Tail
which appears to be a collection of singles and/or EPs since different
songs are credited to different recording companies on different dates.
I found it at Palo Alto Tower Records, so other Towers probably carry
it.

Bub