[net.games.video] New games...

li63sfm@sdcc7.UUCP (stephen lau) (05/12/85)

Well, here is a list of some new games that I have seen
    around lately, any one care to comment on the games or add to
    the list?

	    Pac-land : A renegade from Sat. morn. cartoons
	    Timber : A Tapper look a like but this time
		     with trees.
	    The Empire Strikes Back : Third of the Star Wars
				      games
	    Kung Fu Fighter : You are Thomas, you must save
			      Sylvia by going up 6 flights.
			      A lot of kicking and punching.
	    Marble Madness : A neat game, but ends too quickly.

   Those are all the latest ones that are around the San Diego
area.

	  Stephen Lau
	     UCSD Academic Computing Center
	     sdcc7!mnt!li63s!li63sfm

		    "Does Borf know I'm here?"
			  - Dexter a.k.a. Space Ace

ralphw@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ralph W. Hyre) (05/13/85)

I, Robot (ATARI), has real-time 3-d polygon displays with hidden lines and
shading.  The game's not that great, but the graphics are a first (they claim)
(You can change your perspective at any time during the game, from looking
from the robots eyes to any arbitrary angle on the playfield.)

					- Ralph Hyre

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (05/21/85)

In article <1452@sdcc7.UUCP>, li63sfm@sdcc7.UUCP (stephen lau) writes:
> Well, here is a list of some new games that I have seen
>     around lately, any one care to comment on the games or add to
>     the list?
>
> 	    Pac-land : A renegade from Sat. morn. cartoons
This game has a very simple plot. Run and jump over obstacles while
avoiding the ghost who may run, or fly around in saucers,,etc. Eat
a yellow dot and eat dem ghost.

> 	    Timber : A Tapper look a like but this time
> 		     with trees.
A bit simpler then Tapper since controls are easier to use.

> 	    The Empire Strikes Back : Third of the Star Wars
> 				      games
Haven't seen yet. What's the goals in this one?

> 	    Kung Fu Fighter : You are Thomas, you must save
> 			      Sylvia by going up 6 flights.
> 			      A lot of kicking and punching.
Have'nt seen. Anything like the other Kung Fu games?

> 	    Marble Madness : A neat game, but ends too quickly.

I enjoyed a lot, but I'm only a begginer.

>    Those are all the latest ones that are around the San Diego
> area.
>
> 	  Stephen Lau

Does anyone know the name of the space battle game where you need to
strap yourself into the seat because the cockpit moves as you move the
joystick. And when you get hit, you feel the explosion. Boy, the next
best thing to being there.

					Scott A. Stewart

zarth@drutx.UUCP (CovartDL) (05/24/85)

I too liked Marble Madness when it first came out. Now that I can get through
95 % of the time and rarely see any scores above my best(146,00+), it has
lost its two appeals. 1) finally macking it to the next level and try to get
that high score. I anxiouslly await Marble Madness II or whatever they will
call it. Haven't heard that one will be coming out but it's bound too.

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (05/28/85)

> > 	    The Empire Strikes Back : Third of the Star Wars
> > 				      games
> Haven't seen yet. What's the goals in this one?

First part you try to shoot recon droids on the surface of "Thoth"
(sp?) to prevent Vader from finding you. Second you attack imperial
walkers and ack-ack "tanks" with lasers and tow cables. Fourth, you
fight off tie fighters like the first version, and lastly you navigate
an asteroid belt. Still looking for one with the sound turned up so
that I can hear what they are saying.

> > 	    Kung Fu Fighter : You are Thomas, you must save
> > 			      Sylvia by going up 6 flights.
> > 			      A lot of kicking and punching.
> Have'nt seen. Anything like the other Kung Fu games?
Simpler, with a lot fewer moves than Karate Master.

> Does anyone know the name of the space battle game where you need to
> strap yourself into the seat because the cockpit moves as you move the
> joystick. And when you get hit, you feel the explosion. Boy, the next
> best thing to being there.

Finally go the stats on this one, it is called Vertigo and is put out by
Exidy. The play is somewhat simplistic, along the lines of time pilot,
where you shoot x number of "enemies" and then go for the mother ship.
Basically, the only thing going for it is the fact that it moves in
three axes of tilt. But that is quite enough to make it interesting.
There is one in the Galactican II arcade on the corner of Stelling
and Homestead in Sunnyvale CA, if you are local to the S.F. bay area
you could check it out.

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my