[net.games.video] High Scores in general

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (10/19/85)

>  At the risk of starting something that already been done before,
>how about compiling a list of the all-time best scores in a number
>of video games?
>Michael Richmond			Princeton University, Astrophysics

how about first listing all of the games and dates to be included
in this potentially monsterous file ?
game		name			score
Robotron	Michael Richmond	3.5 million
Astron Belt	Dragonpup		21 k (one quarter)

dragonpup
uucp: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,noscvax}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!{bi50xrs}
arpa: sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs@{Berkeley,Nosc}
decnet: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs%DECWRL
bitnet: sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs%{UCBUNIXG,WISCVM}
cs-net: gatech!akgua!sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

agb@reed.UUCP (Alexander G. Burchell) (10/20/85)

- EAT THIS -

	Sorry to dissapoint the poster who scored 4.5 million on robotron,
but once (while wearing my walkman, I believe that is the key) scored ~9
million.  After a while, it just *can't* get any harder, and the main
thing that lets you score high (real high) is stamina.

					Alexander G. Burchell

UUCP:	..!{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,zehntel}!tektronix!reed!agb
MAIL:	Box 172, Reed College, 3203 SE Woodstock Dr., Portland OR 97202

Funny Graphics have been deleted at the insistance of the USENET Police.

matt@srs.UUCP (Matt Goheen) (10/21/85)

> ...Alas, my only hope for personal inclusion is a
> score of 3.5 million in Robotron.

I used to be a REAL quarter killer.  I've gotten some pretty high
scores in quite a few games....some are:

Robotron: ~2,000,000
Tempest:  ~690,000
Asteroids: forever
Monaco GP: ~12,000

Incidently, I'm not sure if this has been posted but Atari's Tempest
has some real neat "features".  If you get over 180,000 and end in
17 (maybe it's 13, been a long time) and then kill yourself and then
wait until the game begins it's demo, you'll get 40 free games.
MOST games have been fixed but there are still quite a few with the
door.  There are lot's of other doorways into Tempest, some other
magic numbers are (all >180,000) 00, 48, 13.  There is a way to
skip all the way to the green lavel but I never figured out how (hell,
with 40 free games I learned how to get there by myself!).

					oh well,
					     Matt G.

lip@gcc-milo.ARPA (Seth Lipkin) (10/23/85)

In article <171@srs.UUCP> matt@srs.UUCP (Matt Goheen) writes:
>> ...Alas, my only hope for personal inclusion is a
>> score of 3.5 million in Robotron.

Scores from Robotron (along with Joust, Defender, and Stargate) are really
not worth mentioning unless you know at which difficulty level you were
playing.  Robotron difficulty ranges from Level 0 ("Extra Liberal") to
Level 10 ("Extra Conservative").  Level 5 ("Recommended") is the usual setting
of arcade machines.

As an example of how the difficulty increases, I used to be able to get
EITHER 1.2 million on Level 7 or 2.5 million on Level 5.  Level 10 is
definitely *much* tougher than Level 5.

Our current high score (Level *10*, 25000 per man) is 4,236,000.  The all-time
record (Level 5, I strongly believe) is somewhere in the HUNDRED millions (I
can look this up if anyone wants - there used to be a high score table in
one of the game magazines).

Seth Lipkin
General Computer Company
harvard!gcc-milo!lip

cs2551ao@unmc.UUCP (10/26/85)

In article <> bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) writes:
>>  At the risk of starting something that already been done before,
>>how about compiling a list of the all-time best scores in a number
>>of video games?
>>Michael Richmond			Princeton University, Astrophysics
>
>how about first listing all of the games and dates to be included
>in this potentially monsterous file ?
>game		name			score
>Robotron	Michael Richmond	3.5 million

How about 16.? million on Robotron, played for 4 hours and got too hungry to
continue.  So I killed over 200 men (something like 214).  I only had the want
to beat a friends 10M score...

I also scored 1.5 million on defender before I had to go.  Arg! I never get to
finish my best games!

                            dave

rhw9906@wucec2.UUCP (Richard Hill Wyatt Jr) (10/30/85)

  I don't think a high score list is a good idea because of differing
skill level settings on various machines. But has anyone seen a score
higher than 155,000 on Marble Madness? Just wondering.

                       -- Rick Wyatt

greg@harvard.ARPA (Greg) (10/31/85)

In article <502@unmc.UUCP> cs2551ao@unmc.UUCP (Dave North) writes:
>How about 16.? million on Robotron, played for 4 hours and got too hungry to
>continue.  So I killed over 200 men (something like 214).  I only had the want
>to beat a friends 10M score...

Alas, my high score in Robotron is only 8M, and that was on a 20,000
machine...

A friend of mine who could play Robotron forever described how he and two of
his friends went to the local arcade one morning and played ONE game of
Robotron until that evening.  Total score:  ~37M.  The game with a nasty
surprise:  One of the players made a sacrifice play for the 256th man, and
alas!  The extra-man counter rolled over to zero and he sacrificed what
suddenly became the last man.
--
gregregreg

timp@gcc-milo.ARPA (Tim Peacock) (11/02/85)

In article <1144@wucec2.UUCP> rhw9906@wucec2.UUCP (Richard Hill Wyatt Jr) writes:

>  I don't think a high score list is a good idea because of differing
>skill level settings on various machines. But has anyone seen a score
>higher than 155,000 on Marble Madness? Just wondering.
>
>                       -- Rick Wyatt

The high score on Marble Madness here is 196,420 by Seth Lipkin.

47631718@sdcc13.UUCP (47631718) (11/02/85)

But has anyone seen a score higher than 155,000 on Marble Madness? Just wondering.

 	Yes, 250,000+ is possible. You need two
players to do this.
		One player has to follow close behind
the other one.
		It takes good timing and good
trac-balls...

				Steve Lau
				UCSD Academic
Computing Center
				...!sdcsvax!lau

kato@utcsri.UUCP (John Kitamura) (11/04/85)

>   I don't think a high score list is a good idea because of differing
> skill level settings on various machines. But has anyone seen a score
> higher than 155,000 on Marble Madness? Just wondering.
>
>                        -- Rick Wyatt
   A person named `LAW' consistently got scores in the 200,000 - 260,000
range at a fairly easy game in Toronto. He did this by playing with both men,
in order to get the bonus time at the end of each screen (i.e., it required
3 quarters at a quarter a man, since the second man would run out of time and
have to be started up again).
    Unfortnately, the game has since dissapeared from the arcade.

			J Kitamura/University of Toronto

nomura@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/17/85)

I used to follow the national high scores on Robotron back when Joystick
magazine published them.  I remember it being somewhere around 350 million
when Joystick stopped coming out.  Now that is a truly incredible score:
10M takes from 2.5-3.5 hours depending on how efficient you are, and once
I played a 38M game with 2 other people at space port that lasted from
9am-7pm (we died because the count of extra men wrapped to 0...)

350M would take 87 hours by this reckoning, or 3.6 days of solid play.
The credit was given to one person, though I find this hard to believe.
Also I wish they had given the game parameters - it doesn't mean quite
as much to roll a 20K/level 2 machine (old space port style) as it would
to roll 30K/level 8 (impossible).