[net.games.video] BattleZone etc.

andy@lasspvax.UUCP (Andy Pfiffer) (11/19/85)

In article <2146@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:

>That was a truly fun vector game!
>

>P.S. -- How much is one of those worth right now?  Is it in the
>purchaseable range yet?  Are they hard to maintain?

I recently bought one from a local arcade -- $200.  It was in pretty good
shape, considering the coin counters had close to 100000 on them.  The
left stick is a little sticky so I'm planning on replacing it.

Points of interest:

    o	It will play in four languages -- English, French, German,
	and Spainish.

    o	It uses a 6502A as the processor and has 12K of ROM address space
	devoted to the game program.  It has a hardware display vector
	board.  Not counting power transformers and speakers, the game is
	on two boards of mostly discrete logic.

    o	Depending on the DIP switches, the game gives extra tanks at
	15,000 - 25,000 and 100,000.  Short of a bug or rollover, there
	is no way to get extra tanks after 100,000

    o	The vector board provides a resolution of 1024x768 points from
	which to start or end a vector. (I'm hazy on this as I don't have
	the manual handy...)

While having a rather ominous presence in my living room, it looks really
nice when I turn down the room lights.

I'm looking hard at a Crazy Climber...

    -- Andy

USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!andy%devvax
ARPA:	andy%devvax@Cornell.arpa
MAIL:	Theory Center/265 Olin Hall   "What do you mean
	Cornell University             I watch too much
	Ithaca, NY  14853              TV?"
PHONE:	(607) 256-8686

ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) (12/03/85)

In article <694@lasspvax.UUCP>, andy@lasspvax.UUCP (Andy Pfiffer) writes:
> In article <2146@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:
> >
> >That was a truly fun vector game!
> >

> >P.S. -- How much is one of those worth right now?  Is it in the
> >purchaseable range yet?  Are they hard to maintain?
>
> I recently bought one from a local arcade -- $200.  It was in pretty good
> shape, considering the coin counters had close to 100000 on them.  The
> left stick is a little sticky so I'm planning on replacing it.
>

> I'm looking hard at a Crazy Climber...
>
>     -- Andy

I recently sold my BattleZone game for $200.  It was a lot of fun
but after a while ,when you turned, all of the lines were double images.
This wasn't really a problem, though.  I sold it because I was sick
of playing it and was ready for a new game.

About replacement handles for Battlezone:  They loosen up after
awhile and the replacement parts to stiffen them up were about
$20 - $30.
Parts aren't hard to find, but you pay for them.  I bought my spare
handles from an Atari dealer in Los Angeles.

Does anyone know how much a Star Wars game costs nowadays?

		   Harry