[net.games.video] Gauntlet

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/28/85)

   Well, I finally saw GAUNTLET the other day.  Something about the
game, though, left me scratching my head in recognition. Then I had it!
This is just a very jazzed-up version of a game that Atari released under
their Atari Program Exchange (APX) program - a game for the Atari 800 and
400 computers - called DANDY.  Excellent game, and costs a lot less than
you'll probably end up spending on GAUNTLET (even if you have to BUY an
Atari 400 or 800!). Check with ANTIC magazine if you're interested, I think
they are still selling it....

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) (01/16/86)

	Recently I've been playing a lot of Gauntlet.  A couple if times
I have run into a level that the lower section of the entire level is
filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods and mabey ten
potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by monsters
or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
Gauntlet?

...wanginst!ulowell!ross

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (Bill Bulko) (01/17/86)

In article <160@ulowell.UUCP> ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) writes:

>A couple if times I have run into a level that the lower section of the
>entire level is filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods
>and mabey ten potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by
>monsters or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
>There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
>Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
>Gauntlet?

Yes, we play Gauntlet here.  No, we haven't figured out how to get into that
section.  Everyone I know has concluded that it's just a "practical joke"
by the game authors:  it's so tempting, they want you to waste a lot of
time and effort trying to get to it all.  Or so it seems.

	  "In the knowledge lies the power." -- Edward A. Feigenbaum
		       "Knowledge is good." -- Emil Faber
Bill Bulko					Department of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas         {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!sally!bulko

barnes@vger.UUCP (Steve Barnes) (01/17/86)

> I have run into a level that the lower section of the entire level is
> filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods and mabey ten
> potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by monsters
> or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
> There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
> Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
> Gauntlet?
>
> ...wanginst!ulowell!ro

My theory is that they make levels like these to taunt players.
I've seen that level, and other things, such as food placed on
the other side of an exit, out of reach.

		ucbvax!ucscc!vger!barnes

dml@bu-cs.UUCP (david matthew lyle) (01/18/86)

In article <160@ulowell.UUCP> ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) writes:

>	Recently I've been playing a lot of Gauntlet.  A couple if times
>I have run into a level that the lower section of the entire level is
>filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods and mabey ten
>potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by monsters
>or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
>There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
>Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
>Gauntlet?
>
>...wanginst!ulowell!ross

I've played quite a bit, and have yet to find a way in.

David Matthew Lyle                               Boston University

BITNET: cdstdt1@bostonu
            dml@buenga
ARPA:      matt@mit-mc
CSNET:      dml@bostonu

on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) (01/18/86)

In article <160@ulowell.UUCP> ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) writes:
>	Recently I've been playing a lot of Gauntlet.  A couple if times
>I have run into a level that the lower section of the entire level is
>filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods and mabey ten
>potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by monsters
>or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
>There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
>Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
>Gauntlet?
>...wanginst!ulowell!ross

I don't have the cash flow to play as much gauntlet as I would like :-)
but I've joined in some games with some advanced player types.
I like playing the Valkyrie, she has a lot of versatility... I suspect that
the designers figured that game players would balk at playing a "girl"
so made her to be a ringer.

anyway  I noticed that in some lower levels there are areas of wall that
have a slightly different color to them .. you have to shoot (or whack)
at them a few times and they open up a single space doorway.
Is this the kind of thing that you are talking about..

Also the instructions tell you that you can't kill death by anything but magic
but if you shoot him enough times he will die!

I think that Atari has come up with one hell of a winner in this game.
There hasn't been a video game in the last two years that stirred my
urges to convert my cash holdings to quarters like this one does.
I had gone back to pinball's (check out "Comet" by willliams..
probably the BEST pinball ever!!!
If atari puts Gauntlet out on the 520 (or its clones) that will settle
it for me. I would pay big bucks to have this game at home...
LUX .. on
Owen Rowley
hplabs!hpda!on

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/19/86)

In article <1295@hpda.UUCP>, on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) writes:
> If atari puts Gauntlet out on the 520 (or its clones) that will settle
> it for me. I would pay big bucks to have this game at home...

   As I noted before, Gauntlet is based on a game for the 800 series
Ataris called "DANDY".  Great game, even more so since you could build
your own levels!  Anyhow, the Atari that makes the 520ST is NOT the
same as the Atari that makes arcade games.  Witness Marble Madness,
which will be released first for the Amiga - Atari's not even involved.
   Back to DANDY - I think this game is good enough to justify the
purchase of an Atari 800 by itself - 'specially since they are only
$50 or so on the surplus market!

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP (Nathan Glasser) (01/20/86)

In article <507@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>...Anyhow, the Atari that makes the 520ST is NOT the
>same as the Atari that makes arcade games.  Witness Marble Madness,
>which will be released first for the Amiga - Atari's not even involved.

What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
there is only one Atari company.

			Nathan Glasser
			nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP
			nathan@mit-xx.arpa

mahar@fear.UUCP (mahar) (01/20/86)

In article <1295@hpda.UUCP>, on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) writes:
> If atari puts Gauntlet out on the 520 (or its clones) that will settle
> it for me. I would pay big bucks to have this game at home...
Don't hold your breath. Atari the coin-op game manufacturer is now a
totally different company then the home computer company. Warner
Communications sold the home computer division to Jack Trammiel and
sold the Coin-op division to Namco of Japan.
  There is still hope, however, There is a game available for the Atari
800/400/etc  called Dandy (D&D) which is very similar to Gauntlet.
It comes with a play field editor so you can make your own adventures.
			Mike Mahar

smithson@calma.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (01/21/86)

In article <1005@mit-eddie.UUCP> nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP (Nathan Glasser) writes:
>In article <507@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>>...Anyhow, the Atari that makes the 520ST is NOT the
>>same as the Atari that makes arcade games.  Witness Marble Madness,
>>which will be released first for the Amiga - Atari's not even involved.
>
>What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
>what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
>there is only one Atari company.

There *are* two Atari's now.  Warner Communications sold the divisions
to different interests.  The arcade folks are "Atari Games, Inc.", owned
by Namco (yup, Pole Position, Pac-Man, etc.).  The home computer folks
are "Atari Corp.", owned by (I think) the guy who founded Commodore (?).

Regarding the seemingly unreachable areas in Gauntlet, I'll see what I can
find out.  My wife works at Atari Games, and they just recently moved into
the building next door!  They may or may not tell me, though.  I'll post it
if they do.

mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) (01/21/86)

In article <299@vger.UUCP>, barnes@vger.UUCP (Steve Barnes) writes:

> > I have run into a level that the lower section of the entire level is
> > filled with food and potions, by filled I mean 20 foods and mabey ten
> > potions.  These foods and potions are not even protected by monsters
> > or generators.  The problem is the section is completly walled off.
> > There are no traps on the level to trip and make the walls disappear.
> > Has anybody figured out how to get to this section?  Does anybody play
> > Gauntlet?

    I just saw the game 2 days ago and have already poured over 50$ into
    the damned thing.  I havn't yet seen what you are talking about, but
    I have a couple theories.

	1. Try to attack the walls.  Some can be knocked down or destroyed.
	2. It could be a glitch in the game.  I've noticed that items are
	   randomly placed each game.  Maybe it's not checking to see if the
	   location of an item is accessible to a player.

      This is one of the most awesome video games since the laser disk games.
      I hope to see more hints and info before I go broke.

--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  May the Quest for the ElfSword be
  your ultimate goal in life...
					  Mark Smith
      -|=======-   	GM          	  "Game Master of a Higher Order"
					  ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!mark

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) (01/21/86)

In article <1005@mit-eddie.UUCP> nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP (Nathan Glasser) writes:
>In article <507@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>>...Anyhow, the Atari that makes the 520ST is NOT the
>>same as the Atari that makes arcade games.  Witness Marble Madness,
>>which will be released first for the Amiga - Atari's not even involved.
>
>What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
>what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
>there is only one Atari company.

I used to do a lot of bussiness with Atari, and I KNOW that
the home computer division and the Video Games divisions were indeed
boththe same company... but with seperate managemant. I guess both points
are correct in their own way. Of course a LOT has happened since
then (about two years) and I cannot say for sure that they have not split even
further.
Some of this discussion came about because I assumed that Atari would make
an attempt to put Gauntlet on its 520ST .. This probably just reflects the fact that I have been favorably impressed by the 520 and would really just
like an excuse to buy one. I also agree with a previous note that the
Atari 800 is a great buy these days
LUX .. on
Owen Rowley

tom@gcc-milo.ARPA (Tom Westberg) (01/21/86)

In article <1005@mit-eddie.UUCP> nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP (Nathan Glasser) writes:

>What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
>what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
>there is only one Atari company.

The Atari which built Gauntlet and Marble Madness is named Atari Games.
The computer company which produces the 800 and the 520 ST is named
Atari Inc.

They USED to be the same company. When Jack Tramiel bought Atari he didn't
want to do games. He wanted to beat Commodore in home computers. He took the
computer and consumer games assets from Atari (owned by Warner Communications)
and left Warner the video game assets (which they renamed Atari Games).

There is probably some relationship at the companies' high levels (since
Warner still has some interest in both companies), but not much.

The old Atari would NEVER have supported a Commodore computer (with
Marble Madness) before their own.

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/22/86)

There definately are 2 Atari companies!  Tramiel bought the home computer
division, while the Coin-op division was not sold.  It seems that the
coin-op division was actually profitable at the time.  If Tramiel bought
the coin-op division, you would NOT see an Atari games on the Amiga.

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/22/86)

To which, Nathan Glasser (nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP) replied:
> What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
> what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
> there is only one Atari company.

     This is the BEST of your knowledge? :-)
     When Warner Communications sold Atari to Jack Tramiel, the only thing
they sold was the home computer division.  The coin-op division is still
owned by Warner.  I can't recall what it is, but there is some small
difference in the names of the two Ataris.

--

smithson@calma.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (01/23/86)

In article <534@well.UUCP> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>In article <507@well.UUCP> I wrote:
>>...Anyhow, the Atari that makes the 520ST is NOT the
>>same as the Atari that makes arcade games.  Witness Marble Madness,
>>which will be released first for the Amiga - Atari's not even involved.
>
>To which, Nathan Glasser (nathan@mit-eddie.UUCP) replied:
>> What makes you think that they are not the same Atari? Because of
>> what you heard about Marble Madness? To the best of my knowledge
>> there is only one Atari company.
>
>     This is the BEST of your knowledge? :-)
>     When Warner Communications sold Atari to Jack Tramiel, the only thing
>they sold was the home computer division.  The coin-op division is still
>owned by Warner.  I can't recall what it is, but there is some small
>difference in the names of the two Ataris.

I hope that this isn't the best of *your* knowledge, either.  Warner sold
both divisions, perhaps not at the same time.  The coin-op division is owned
by Namco.

OK, anyone want to suggest that there are *three* Atari companies? :-)

kucharsk@puff.UUCP (William Kucharski) (01/24/86)

The name of the coin-op division is "Atari Games."

okamoto@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Doctor Who) (01/24/86)

Does anyone have maps of the different levels showing the location
of food, potions, generators, etc?

The New Number Who,	okamoto@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Jeff Okamoto		..!ucbvax!okamoto

Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfernspledenschlittcrasscrenbonfriedigger-
dingledangledongleburesteinvonkanckerthrasherapplebangerhorowitzicol-
ensicgranderknottspelltinklegrandlichgrumblemeyerspeltorwasserkurst-
lichimmleeisenbahnwagengutenabendbitteeinneurnburgerbratwurstlegger-
spurtenmitzweimacherluberhundsfutgumberabeshonenedankerkablsfleich-
mittleraucher von Hauptkof ap Rabinski of Ulm.

wasaunders@watdragon.UUCP (Alec Saunders) (01/27/86)

One thing which I have seen a lot of people doing recently to deal with death
is to lure him close to a transporter, then transport through. If four people
transport at once there is a good chance that one will land smack dab on top
of death - at which point he DISAPPEARS (death that is). This can be very
effective in situations where a single death is guarding food, potions etc.
I saw one guy take out four that were stuck in a one wide hallway this way,
to pick up 2 potions, 3 foods and 2 chests. You don't get points for them
this way though, so it's only useful when you have no potions, or wish to
conserve your remaining potions.