[net.lang.pascal] Pascal to C translator.

abbasb@orstcs.UUCP (12/31/83)

#N:orstcs:39300003:000:139
orstcs!abbasb    Dec 30 10:16:00 1983

Does anyone know of a translator for translating Pascal programs
to C.  I would appreciate any info. in this subject
Thanks a lot-- Abbas

bobk@hcradm.UUCP (Bob Kyryliuk) (03/13/85)

> Has anyone out there heard of a translator that will do a decent job of
> translating J&W pascal into human readable C.  That is the resultant
> output should be able to be used, conveniently, as the source for
> further updates of the program i.e. be able to discard the pascal source.

HCR sells a product called HCR/PASCAL.

HCR/PASCAL is a Pascal compiler that uses C as an intermediate
language. It first performs a direct translation from
J&W/ANSI/ISO (level 0) Pascal to C, and then invokes the system's C
compiler to complete the compilation.

It can be used to translate Pascal into C if you want to throw away
the Pascal source. However, HCR/PASCAL's numerous UNIX-style features
(its ability to call and be called by C routines, its ability to
integrate Pascal and C routines into runtime libraries, its ability to
perform system calls, its file-handling capabilities, etc) as well as
its Lazy I/O and its UCSD-style string package will probably convince
you that Pascal is the way to go!

HCR/PASCAL is available on a wide range of hardware that runs UNIX since
it is written in C and since the compiler's code-generator never needs to be
rewritten for new machines.

For further information, you can contact me at the following
address/phone number/net address:

Bob A. Kyryliuk
HCR/PASCAL Product Manager
Human Computing Resources Corporation
10 St. Mary Street
Toronto, Ontario, M4Y 1P9
Canada

416-922-1937 ext.25

...{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|watmath}!hcr!hcradm!bobk

stock@yale.ARPA (06/13/85)

I am looking for a Pascal to C translator, or any tools that might help
in translating Pascal source code to C source code.  Please sent me
any suggestions, sources, or information that you might have to make
this task easier.

Adam Stock at Yale Comix

sm@cadre.ARPA (Sean McLinden) (06/15/85)

In article <415@yale.ARPA> stock@yale.ARPA writes:
>I am looking for a Pascal to C translator, or any tools that might help
>in translating Pascal source code to C source code.  Please sent me
>any suggestions, sources, or information that you might have to make
>this task easier.
>
>Adam Stock at Yale Comix

The CMU Andrew System which is a product of the IBM-sponsored Information
Technology Center at Carnegie-Mellon University includes, among other
things, a Pascal-to-C translator called "ptc". The system (which is a
prototype of the user interface intended for IBM academic workstation),
can be licensed to universities for $100.00 (I don't know about commercial
interests) from CMU. The phone number is (412)-578-6700.

For anyone with a Sun Workstation, this system is WELL worth the investment
as it offers an efficient and clean working environment for interacting
between networked Suns. (This in comparison to Sun Unix 4.2 Release 1.1,
I haven't seen later releases, yet).

To return to the Pascal-to-C issue, for a moment, it is worth stressing
the fact that the large number of Pascal dialects makes it difficult to
develop a general purpose translator, and some post-processing may be
required with the translator, however, it has made life a lot easier for
me since I rarely use Pascal enough to make it worth my while to delve
into the syntax.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory

ted@cdp.UUCP (02/08/86)

Whitesmiths, Ltd. in Concord Mass.,  sells ptc a pascal to c translator.
Price varies.

rob@nitrex.UUCP (rob robertson) (02/11/86)

Dr. James Peterson developed a VERY good Pascal->C translator while
at CMU for the Andrew Project.  The translator is mentioned in a
past issue of IEEE Software.  The Andrew System is a collection of
software for Suns, of which the translator is a very small part.
The translator (and maybe the entire Andrew System) is owned by IBM.
Educational institutions can get the System for about $100.  Anyone
else, well your probably out of luck.

--

			rob robertson		decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rob.UUCP
	 		(216) 791-0922			 cbosgd!nitrex!rob.UUCP

kadie@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/12/86)

The January issue of Computer Language magazine has this
ad in the back (p. 111):
---------------

        TRANSLATOR
        (Pascal to C)