[net.lang.pascal] PASCAL The one and only....

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham) (02/26/86)

> From: manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis)
> >The average introductory student has no longterm commitment to computer
> >science, so one ought to teach him/her a directly usable skill; that means
> >teaching a language s/he has heard of.
>
> from:	-Barry Shein, Boston University
> This is the attitude I object to that leaves us nowhere in Computer Science
> Education. I believe one has to abandon the job training mentality and just
> teach their subject on the sole assumption that everyone in the room is there
> to build a foundation for computer science. If that necessitates opening
> a different course for 'programming', so be it.

APPLAUSE!!!
	I have to agree with this as a crucial point in this discussion!

	If you are teaching PROGRAMMING:
		use COBOL or FORTRAN they are still in use and are
		a direct benifit to anyone who wants to get into the
		job market FAST! teach C, ADA, or some other widespread
		or "up-and-coming" language as well, later.

	If you are teaching Computer Science :
		by all means use PASCAL!  (my reasons later)

> ... a bunch of CS students who end up believing that CS is a process of
> getting the syntax errors out (shuffling the semi-colons, I like to call it.)

( I used to call it "shuffling the cards" :-) )
( anyone out there remember paper tape! )

> It is my firm belief that:
>
> 	a) College is not job-training ....
>
> 	b) Computer Science is not programming, nor is it not not
> 	programming.  Programming is simply a critical lab skill
>       that may take more than one intro course to develop properly ...

( Doning Flame-Retardant Suit )

It is my ernest opinion that Computer "Science" is still an ART yearning
to be a fulfledged science.  The reason I say this is that algorithms
are not much use (flame sheild up) unless they can be programmed into
a Computer (aaaaa... duhhhhh).  Seriously.... the "science of logical
problem solving" and the "art of programming" are two inseparable parts of
Computer Science. ( or should those be reversed :-) )

(sheild down ... suit off )

My apologies to you Barry for cutting out so much of the good stuff!

Ah yes.... PASCAL....

Why PASCAL ....?

	Strong type checking

	    I have had three separate chances at being a beginning
	    student in Programming101 et. al.

	    Once with Basic ... lots of fun, easy to learn
		but NO FORM and poor type checking (poor types really)!

	    Once with PL/I .... pretty good ... a little too much
		provided for you ( what the hell does he mean by that!).
		It had too many builtin niceties for I/O ... so many
		of the good complexity level examples are little I/O
		programs with string processing.  Type checking OK.
		( Not a BAD choice just not very widespread )

	    Lastly with .. you guessed it ... PASCAL!

	The error mesaages were clear and concise (most of the time)
	as is required by the standard, if I remember correctly.

	Strong Type checking ... How many times must I say this!
		My lord, what relief it is to have the compiler
		tell you exactly what you CAN'T do.

	I think this is the real point ... The compiler has to be
	so strict as to not let the student get too inventive ...
	like C ...  The objective is to learn Algoritmic Representation
	not the language.

	Even though the language keeps a tight reigh it also has a
	sufficient array of types ( structures, pointers, sets, etc.)
	and an expressive enough syntax and semantics to do just about
	anything.

	AND don't forget to give them some other language assigments as
	well ( I suggest LISP or even C ). Small assignments but meaningful,
	something to let them know ( or let them know they didn't know :-> )
	what they were actually taking the course for.

		There I admit I am a C programmer (and Computer Scientist)
		that actually LIKES PASCAL!!!

	Is that my carrer's end looming on the horizon, oh my god, what
	 have I just said, I take it back, I didn't mean it ..... noooooo!

		O     \
		  ---  >
		O     /

			Ken Latham, AT&T-IS (via AGS Inc.), Orlando , FL

			uucp: ihnp4!bsdpkh!latham