[net.lang.pascal] Reposting of: Turbo Pascal Questions

hartsoug@usc-oberon.UUCP (06/06/86)

I posted a message similar to the following about a week ago. Since I
have received no responses, I'm assuming that it didn't get out of our machine.
Sorry if you've already seen it.

Is it possible to save a graphics screen (graphmode) into an array (and from
there into a file for later use)? I can do this with the text screen, but get
gibberish when I try the same technique with graphmode.

How do I turn the cursor off from my program? Disable it? Set cursor color to
background color? Better yet, how about a cursor-on/cursor-off pair?

I have version 2.0, and have heard that version 3.0 has something called
variable-constants. I would love to be able to use the results of MemAvail
to determine the value to give a constant, i.e. the more available memory,
the more records I can bring in at once, which means fewer disk accesses
and a faster program. Is 3.0 worth the my going out and getting it?

Is there some way to read the color of a pixel? Turbo Graphics has no fill
routine which I think was a little short sighted of Borland. I have a fill
routine which I wrote in Microsoft Pascal for the EGA, but I have to know
how to get the pixel color.

Thanx in advance,
--
	Michael J. Hartsough
	hartsoug@oberon.UUCP

It is to the interest of the commonwealth of mankind that there should
be someone who is unconquered, someone against whom fortune has no power.
			---- Seneca
That's why I'm here.

v1b@mhuxi.UUCP (davis) (06/09/86)

> I posted a message similar to the following about a week ago. Since I
> have received no responses, I'm assuming that it didn't get out of our machine.
> Sorry if you've already seen it.
>
> Is it possible to save a graphics screen (graphmode) into an array (and from
> there into a file for later use)? I can do this with the text screen, but get
> gibberish when I try the same technique with graphmode.
>
> How do I turn the cursor off from my program? Disable it? Set cursor color to
> background color? Better yet, how about a cursor-on/cursor-off pair?
>
> I have version 2.0, and have heard that version 3.0 has something called
> variable-constants. I would love to be able to use the results of MemAvail
> to determine the value to give a constant, i.e. the more available memory,
> the more records I can bring in at once, which means fewer disk accesses
> and a faster program. Is 3.0 worth the my going out and getting it?
>
> Is there some way to read the color of a pixel? Turbo Graphics has no fill
> routine which I think was a little short sighted of Borland. I have a fill
> routine which I wrote in Microsoft Pascal for the EGA, but I have to know
> how to get the pixel color.
>
> Thanx in advance,
> --
> 	Michael J. Hartsough
> 	hartsoug@oberon.UUCP
>
> It is to the interest of the commonwealth of mankind that there should
> be someone who is unconquered, someone against whom fortune has no power.
> 			---- Seneca
> That's why I'm here.

Michael,

I was unable to mail to you directly so i hope the following is helpful:

            Vern Bradner

From vxb Sun Jun  8 18:03 EDT 1986
To: oberon!hartsoug vxb
Subject: reply to your turbo pascal question

A fellow who works for me gave me the following information
about your turbo pascal problem. He is going out of town
for a while, but if you have any more questions, I will
give them to him when he returns.

                Vern Bradner
                ihnp4!mhuxi!v1b

Annotation by Byrne, Dick P.:

Since  I'm a novice with this language, I can
only suggest solutions to  2  of  this  guy's
questions:

   1).  To turn the curson on/off, the guy
        should use some "In-Line" assembler
        code to make a call to the BIOS
        video routines.  I'll need my
        reference books to give you the
        specifics, so see me when I get back
        from Michigan.

   2).  Saving a graphics screen for future
        use should be exactly the same as
        saving a text screen except that
        you should save a full 16Kb (or
        32Kb for high res. stuff) rather
        than the 4Kb needed for a text mode
        screen image.

                                       RPB

frankg@nikhefk.uucp (Frank Geerling) (06/11/86)

Hallo I'm interested in all the known bug's in Turbo-Pascal version
1.0 and of course the fixes of them.
Please mail them to me at frankg@nikhefk.uucp.

		Thanks in advance
--