[net.lang.pascal] Turbo Pascal - The Next Version! What? How much? When?

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (06/03/86)

["Oh, give me a home where the line eaters roam!]

   Here's a question to all you "insiders" out there in netland:

   I am interested in finding out any information anyone knows
   regarding the upcoming release of Borland's Turbo Pascal V4.0.
   I recently wrote to the Technical Support people at Borland
   officially through my software/consulting company: AVSD, Ltd.
   Unfortunately, either the mail has been lost or the folks at
   Borland are busier than Santa's Elves for I have not received
   any kind of reply (yet). I am going to write them again soon but
   I thought I'd increase my chances by asking out on the net.

   I am looking for information regarding the new version's possible
   capabilities, such as large-memory (>64K) addressing for both
   data and code, possible optimization option for the compiler,
   linkable .OBJ code generation similar to Turbo Prolog, handling
   of extremely large disk files (>= 16M), and other related topics.
   In other words, is Borland going to turn Turbo Pascal into a
   full-blown Pascal compiler?  I think they've proven the speed
   so let's see the capabilities!  Also, when are they going to
   release it?

   I am looking for this information due to the need of developing
   several large systems and software packages that excede the
   current capabilities of Turbo Pascal.  I also need to modify
   and change current software to adapt to the larger resource
   requirements.  I happen to personally like Turbo Pascal and its
   capabilities and would prefer not to have to rewrite everything
   I've already done.  If Version 4.0 will not be supporting at
   least the larger memory feature, I will be forced to proceed
   with development under "C" (a good choice) or, possibly, FORTRAN
   (arrg!).

   As always, thanks are appreciated in advance,

   Alan

   Please send E-Mail to the following node address:

   lost in a synthetic sea of musical waters:  alan i. vymetalik
   bitnet:                                       aiv1974@ritvaxd
   uucp:                {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917

ear@duke.UUCP (Eric A. Raymond) (06/05/86)

In article <9779@ritcv.UUCP> iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:

>   I am interested in finding out any information anyone knows
>   regarding the upcoming release of Borland's Turbo Pascal V4.0.

    I've heard rumors that Borland was developing new compilers for C,
    and Modula-II as well as Pascal.  I first heard this about the end
    last summer.  More recently, (with the announcement of Turbo Prolog)
    I've heard that these compilers were put on the backburner to allow
    the release of the Prolog system.  (I'm not sure whether this was due
    a reorganization of manpower or (more likely) a marketing ploy to
    prevent oversaturation of the market (too many products introduced
    at one time) - I've heard rumors that release of a new sidekick was
    put off for exactly this latter reason)

    As far as I can remember, the new compilers should cover most of
    your wishes (i.e. optimization, OBJ files, large memory models -
    not sure about large file I/O but if there is .OBJ support you can
    build your own routines and link them in.)  It seems that all of
    the new compilers share the same core program (i.e. the interface
    used in Prolog with the multiple windows).

    What I would like to know is:

      Have the people at Borland included a program developmenmt
      environment to their compilers OR at least allow compilation
      to be invoked at the DOS command prompt level like most other
      compilers (i.e. A> turbo program1)?

       |----> Read this paragraph as allows a "MAKE" facility

    Also, can anyone backup (or refute) these rumors?

--
Eric A. Raymond                                   UUCP: ...decvax!mcnc!duke!ear

bcn@mtuni.UUCP (Bernice Neuman) (06/17/86)