[net.lang.pascal] Recommendations for a Pascal Compiler?

cam@drutx.UUCP (Curtis Miller) (10/16/86)

	Anybody got any recommendations for a pascal compiler for an IBM
	PC-AT? Must not be limited to traditional 64K size! Thanks in
	advance.

				Curtis Miller

daveb@oresoft.UUCP (10/25/86)

In article <1679@drutx.UUCP> cam@drutx.UUCP (Curtis Miller) writes:

>	Anybody got any recommendations for a pascal compiler for an IBM
>	PC-AT? Must not be limited to traditional 64K size! Thanks in
>	advance.
>
>				Curtis Miller

We (Oregon Software) recently re-hosted our Pascal-2 compiler for the AT
and its ilk.  Features include:

o medium- and large-memory model support
o separate compilation of modules
o GREAT executable code - up to 10 times faster than TURBO code on
  some benchmarks
o object files can be linked with objects from other languages, including
  assembly, C, and FORTRAN
o math library and 8087 co-processor support
o "standard" option flags non-standard code as an aid to portability
o compatible with other Pascal-2 installations, including VAX/VMS, VAX/ULTRIX,
  68000/UNIX, 68000/VERSAdos, PDP-11, etc.

Cost is $350.  Inquiries or orders can go to:

          Oregon Software
          6915 SW Macadam
          Portland, OR  97219
          USA
          (503) 245-2202

I hope you'll check it out -- we're really proud of this compiler.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (10/28/86)

In article <26@oresoft.UUCP> daveb@oresoft.UUCP (David Barnes) writes:

>We (Oregon Software) recently re-hosted our Pascal-2 compiler for the AT
>and its ilk.  Features include:

   So, just to ensure that USENET remains a "free" forum, and doesn't just
become a commercial quagmire:

>I hope you'll check it out -- we're really proud of this compiler.

   Unless I've got the wrong company, I sure hope it's less buggy than your
RSTS Pascal compiler, and that your support has gotten better.  Students
taking a first course in computer programming were continually running into
bugs in the RSTS Pascal compiler.  Example: trying to use a constant outside
the machine-imposed limits caused the compiler to croak with *NO* diagnostics.
Just a "BOOM!  Fizzle-fizzle...."  Imagine yourself as the poor freshman in
CS, ignorant of compiler construction, facing something like that.
  However, if you've actually written a good compiler, congratulations.  I
have provided support for a Pascal compiler, and I know how complex they can
be.
--
 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

The above opinions represent those of myself, and no other.  All experiences
related herein are true, or I at least *dreamed* them...

daveb@oresoft.UUCP (10/28/86)

Regarding your comments about our RSTS compiler:  Did you have Pascal-1
or the later (and far superior) Pascal-2?  I'm pleased to report that
our customer support has been VASTLY improved over the last year and
a half (try it, you'll like it!).

In any event, we'd be happy to provide you with a free demo copy of the
MS-DOS Pascal.  We think you'll be pleased at the quality level.

rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) (10/29/86)

In article <27@oresoft.UUCP> daveb@oresoft.UUCP (David Barnes) writes:
->Regarding your comments about our RSTS compiler:  Did you have Pascal-1
->or the later (and far superior) Pascal-2?  I'm pleased to report that
->our customer support has been VASTLY improved over the last year and
->a half (try it, you'll like it!).
->

More specifically, I found significant problems with the Oregon Pascal
version prior to 1.2. Version 1.2 I found to be quite acceptable, not
suffering at all from the problems alluded to. Pascal-2 was a significant
further improvement.

Dikc Pierce

ron@A60.UUCP (Ron Burns) (10/30/86)

In article <27@oresoft.UUCP> daveb@oresoft.UUCP (David Barnes) writes:
>In any event, we'd be happy to provide you with a free demo copy of the
>MS-DOS Pascal.  We think you'll be pleased at the quality level.

oooooh! free goodies!!!!!   I'll take some!! Me, me!!!

I assume this is an offer to everyone on the net, since you chose to post your
response to the net rather than mail a reply... Hope you have lots of those
free demo copies!!!

BTW, when did this become a forum for vendors to hawk their (soft) wares????

well, at any rate, David, I'm waiting for my christmas-in-november compiler!!
Perhaps you will convert a Turbo fan. (pun intended)

ron burns  ms4091
Sperry
2276 highcrest rd
roseville, mn 55113
--
Ron Burns
UUCP: ...ihnp|{rosevax,dayton,meccts}|ems!A60!ron