[net.lang.pascal] Recommendations for Pascal Compiler, Revisted.....

rs4u@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (11/02/86)

I've just recently subscribed to this board, and I see a lot of discussion
about MS-DOS Pascal compilers. But what about the Pascal systems for the
Macintosh? I know of three compilers and an interpreter.... I'll reserve my
personal comments until I see some response...

Anyone out there used Pascal on a Macintosh and care to comment on it? Note
that we're talking about the Pascal features, and >not< the
machine-specifics.

		--Rich

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (11/04/86)

In article <MS.V3.14.rs4u.-2147349490.springdale.ibm032.1185.3@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>I've just recently subscribed to this board, and I see a lot of discussion
>about MS-DOS Pascal compilers. But what about the Pascal systems for the
>Macintosh? I know of three compilers and an interpreter.... I'll reserve my
>personal comments until I see some response...
>
>Anyone out there used Pascal on a Macintosh and care to comment on it? Note
>that we're talking about the Pascal features, and >not< the
>machine-specifics.
>
>		--Rich

   While I have not used Pascal on the Macintosh yet, I have noticed the
   advertisements for Turbo Mac Pascal (or something like that) from
   Borland.  Interesting features including separate unit compilation,
   large memory model, integration into the HFS, integration into the
   windowing/graphics kernel toolbox, and fast compilation speed (a la
   Turbo V3.0 for the PC world).  While some of this is machine specific,
   having the separate module compiling, library linking, and large
   memory modelling is a marvelous extension to a good programming
   language for personal computers.  Please, no comments about the
   good and bad points about Turbo Pascal.  I've read enough and n-ed
   a lot more.  Turbo works for me and it does what I need to get done.

   This brings me to another point.  Borland has been TERRIBLY mute
   in regards to new products for PCs.  The fabled Turbo Pascal V4.0
   (which sounds SURPRISINGLY like Turbo Mac Pascal) is rumored to
   be exhibited during the COMDEX show as well as a "previously
   committed-to project" which may be Turbo C.  I guess we will have
   to wait for the news releases.  However, is anyone out there who
   knows what the new Borland offerings will encompass?

   Enjoy,
   Alan

   "Opinions!  If I had opinions, someone, somewhere,
   would find a way to tax them!"
                                   alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917