[net.mail] header mania

honey (04/05/83)

i'll pay a quarter to the first person who can tell me the author of
the following note:

	From floyd!burl!amd70!decwrl!uucp Tue Apr  5 14:39:49 1983
	Date:  5 Apr 83  10:52:32 EST  (Tue)
	Date:  4 Apr 1983 14:41:12-??? (Mon)
	From: ucbvax!hpfcld!hpfclaajs
	To: decwrl!amd70!burl!mhuxv!mhuxj!mhuxi!mhuxt!eagle!allegra!honey
		id AA22402; 5 Apr 83 09:06:26 PST (Tue)
	To: ucbvax!decvax!decwrl!amd70!burl!mhuxv!mhuxj!mhuxi!mhuxt!eagle!allegra!honey
	Via: uucp host hpfcld;  4 Apr 1983 16:42:48-??? (Mon)
	Via: uucp host hpfcla;  4 Apr 1983 14:41:12-??? (Mon)

(text of mesasage deleted)
	peter honeyman

jim (04/06/83)

That's nothing.  I've seen messages on Arpanet where the header filled
the first 24 line screen and continued onto the next.  Pile up two or
three of these on top of each other by having your mail daemon return
undeliverable mail to someone else's mail daemon and you have a real
mess.

Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency for news to go the same way.
What do I care what the Posting-Version is?  We're up to three dates now,
two of them the same date in two different formats.  Maybe these are
all necessary, but it makes it hard to tell at a glance what the
subject is and who sent it.

pn (04/07/83)

It wasn't my mailer that created that interesting header, but I know who
some of the responsible parties are. UCBVAX has a passion for putting
in extra information. DECWRL's mail does not conform to UUCP, /bin/mail
standards. It looks like HP's mailer may also be doing something funny.
Anyway, based on all the mail I've seen go through UCBVAX and DECWRL,
I would guess your letter came from HPLABS somewhere.

DECWRL keeps promising to fix their mailer. I keep waiting. I won't name
any names, this time...

faunt (04/07/83)

I believe that it came from js at hplabsb through hplabs.
I also believe that hpfcld is a perversion of hplabs,
and that hpfclaa is a perversion of hplabsb.
HP-VENUS is also hplabs, and we are doing lots of munging of
the mail systems here to get CSnet, uucp, the DEC20's and the
VAXen running unix, (and someday HPMAIL) to all talk to each other.
I had seen the case of the mail dropping the bang betwwen site and user,
and reported it to Ken Greer who's working on the mail system here.

ld (04/09/83)

Why...that's Alan Silverstein of Ft. Collins, CO.  Doesn't everybody know?

		Larry Dwyer
		twilight!zone!ld

alb (04/10/83)

There is a reason for listing (for example) two dates,
both of which the same but in different formats.  It is
all in the effort to make 2.10 B news software upwardly
compatible with previous versions (of both B and A news)
while at the same time having it support the new standard.
In time, I foresee that we will be back to one date, but
there has to be a middle ground somewhere, and we are on
it now.