[net.mail] UNIX mail handler: feature or bug?

ag5@pucc-i (Henry C. Mensch) (10/09/84)

<<bozo bozo bozo bozo bozo!!>>

	Some unusual behavior I've noted while using mail handler
commands:  when 'comp' (compose) is used to prepare a message, the
working directory doesn't change.  When 'repl' (reply) is used to
reply to a message, the directory changes (temporarily) to the
folder where the message being replied to resides.  Is this
a bug or a feature, and how can I disable it?

Henry C. Mensch                 | Purdue University Computing Center
{decvax|ucbvax|sequent|icalqa|inuxc|uiucdcs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
            " . . You'd better smile when they watch you,
                  smile like you're in control. . ."
                                 -- *Smile*, Was (Not Was)

israel@umcp-cs.UUCP (Bruce Israel) (10/14/84)

In article <> ag5@pucc-i (Henry C. Mensch) writes:

>	Some unusual behavior I've noted while using mail handler
>commands:  when 'comp' (compose) is used to prepare a message, the
>working directory doesn't change.  When 'repl' (reply) is used to
>reply to a message, the directory changes (temporarily) to the
>folder where the message being replied to resides.  Is this
>a bug or a feature, and how can I disable it?

That is a feature.  When you reply to a message, the message that
you are replying to is linked in the same folder to a file named '@'.
You can read it in in your editor, then, so that you can reply by
annotating.  In fact, some people here have written editor shell
scripts that precede each line by a tab and then append the message
automatically to the draft file before editing, also stripping out
unwanted header lines.  I also have an emacs mlisp function that
makes use of being in this directory by effectively acting like the
standard mail '~m' command; i.e. it takes the numbers of the messages
you want included, and adds them, indented by a tab with irrelevant
headers stripped off.

It wouldn't make any sense to 'cd' to a folder directory on 'comp',
since the composed message isn't related to any particular folder.
I don't know if it's possible to disable the change-directory during
a 'repl', but I wouldn't want to anyway.
--

Bruce Israel

University of Maryland, Computer Science
{rlgvax,seismo}!umcp-cs!israel (Usenet)    israel@Maryland (Arpanet)