	From: SE7@PSUVM
	To: (see syntax below)
	Subject: Test of a note file

	this is a test

The "To:" line may look like:
1) site!site!site!uucphost!user (you do the routing)
2) user@host.uucp (we do the routing -- won't ALWAYS work as our autorouting
	doesn't know about all uucp sites)

get this file to MAILER@PSUVAX1 CLASS M with a filetype of MAIL.

From a VM/CMS Site, the following sequence of commands will do it:

CP SPOOL PUNCH TO RSCS CLASS M
TAG DEV PUN PSUVAX1 MAILER
PUNCH filename filetype filemode
CP SPOOL PUNCH CLOSE

Note: filetype in PUNCH statement above MUST be MAIL.

If there are any questions, contact me, I will attempt to answer them.

-------------------
Mark Starner
Computer Science Department		(814) 863-0392
303 Whitmore Lab			{akgua,allegra,ihnp4}!psuvax1!starner
The Pennsylvania State University	starner@penn-state   (csnet)
University Park, PA 16802		starner@psuvax1      (bitnet)
--
Mark Starner
Computer Science Department		(814) 863-0392
303 Whitmore Lab			{akgua,allegra,ihnp4}!psuvax1!starner
The Pennsylvania State University	starner@penn-state   (csnet)
University Park, PA 16802		starner@psuvax1      (bitnet)

hokey@gang.UUCP (Hokey) (01/07/85)

Mark Starner tells us:

> After seeing all the discussion of gateways, etc.... I thought
> I would set the record straight on how to use the gateway onto
> BITNET at Psuvax1.
>
> The address is as follows: site!site!site!psuvax1!user@bitnethost.bitnet
> also: site!site!site!psuvax1!user%bitnethost.bitnet
> altenatively: @psuvax1.uucp:user@bitnethost.bitnet will also work.

There is a potential problem when using a hybrid route (site!user@place).
Specifically, the route is ambiguous.  Some sites bang-parse, while others
822 parse.  If any of the sites before psuvax1 decide to 822 parse, mail
will be messed up.  If sites along the way have a decent path parser which
uses an edge database to determine parsing, there is a significantly reduced
chance of error.

psuvax1 *should* allow mail to be sent like this:

	...!psuvax1!bitnethost.bitnet!user

which avoids the ambiguity.  The second example, which uses a % instead of
a @, may also be screwed up by sites along the way who use the % as a
delimiter for Other Things.

[Please forgive the inclusion of the first few lines of the referenced
article; I know it isn't the Fun thing to do!]
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492

ag5@pucc-k (Henry Mensch) (01/08/85)

<<>>

	Unfortunately, that's the risk you take by using this
funny stuff with the !'s ... If we all did BITNET or ARPA, not
only would this problem not exist, but the whole world would
do it's business much faster..

	Sigh!

Henry C. Mensch |  User Confuser  | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|purdue|uiucdcs|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
BITNET: HCMENSCH@SUVM                   CSNET: hcmensch@syr-cis-aos
      ". . . he wasn't festive but was probably ambidextrous"