[net.music] X-ST-Return-Receipt-Requested:

news@brl-tgr.ARPA (The News System <news>) (04/17/85)

Date:     Tue, 16 Apr 85 21:50:19 PST
From:     dmh%xhmeia@CIT-HAMLET.ARPA
Subject:  We are the World
To:       info-music@BRL-VGR.ARPA

The April 1985 issue of LIFE magazine is a good source for
answers to who sings when, and who is standing where in the
We are the World taping. There are some interesting tidbits
in the story, as well.

For one thing, Stevie Wonder had to show Bob Dylan how to do
a good ``Dylan'' version.

There is also a picture of Michael Jackson with a Budweiser.
(Isn't that a scandal?)

Dan Ackroyd is in the middle of the back row of the group picture,
wearing regular glasses. At the side back wearing dark glasses is
a member from Huey Lewis' group, Mario Cipollina, which may or may
not answer a reader's question.

Besides pictures there is what looks like the original(?) hand-
written music, with each artist's solo parts indicated. I think
they didn't exactly follow it as published, though. For instance,
when Prince didn't show up, Huey Lewis got the part.
Diane Hood, Caltech

news@brl-tgr.ARPA (The News System <news>) (04/17/85)

Date:     Tue, 16 Apr 85 21:52:43 PST
From:     dmh%xhmeia@CIT-HAMLET.ARPA
Subject:  Ancient history
To:       info-music@BRL-VGR.ARPA

A true story....

   The other day I was looking around in a Wherehouse Records store,
and I couldn't quite recognize the song that was playing.  I thought
it was "In the Beginning" by ELP, but I tend to get it mixed up with
other early 70's music.

Any way, I went over to the counter and asked the guy who worked there,

"Excuse me, is this (what's playing) ELP?"

His response: "No, its the radio."

Diane Hood, Caltech