[net.mail] Want all paths from uucp -> ARPA

joe@petsd.UUCP (Joe Orost) (03/22/85)

Now that we have wonderful software to optimize mail paths, I need to know
all the various ways to get from uucp to ARPA.  Currently I use:
	ucbvax!user@SITE.ARPA

I think there is another path through brl-tgr, and possibly one through
harvard, but I am not sure of these.

Therefore, please MAIL me any uucp -> ARPA connections that you have used
and you know work.  I will summarize to the net.

					regards,
					joe

--
Full-Name:  Joseph M. Orost
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!joe

hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) (03/26/85)

The Arpanet is a Dept. of Defense resource.  There is an authorization
process needed to use it.  For someone wanting to send mail to an Arpanet
site, the best way to handle it is to talk to the system manager of the
system you want to talk to, telling him who you want to talk to and what
project you are working on.  They should be able to arrange a route for you.
I would be happy to forward such a request to the system manager of any of
the Arpanet systems.  You will no doubt find holes in the network access
controls that allow you to send mail onto the net from UUCP.  But you should
know that using any of those holes without permission is effectively
breaking somebody's security.  I.e. it is an unfriendly act.

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (03/27/85)

> From: hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick)

> The Arpanet is a Dept. of Defense resource.  There is an authorization
> process needed to use it.

I think it's time, before an all-out flame war starts on who and what is
allowed to send mail to the ARPA Internet, for someone in authority (ie.
someone who works at DARPA, or for the DCA, or something to that effect)
to state the policies of the ARPA Internet in reference to mail access
through the gateways.  The gateways exist, they are no secret, and there is
no official authorization process that I know of to send mail through them.
In other words, if you know what they are, you can use them, and you shouldn't
expect messages from the known gateways indicating that you cannot reach the
ARPA Internet from them.

> You will no doubt find holes in the network access controls that allow you to
> send mail onto the net from UUCP.  But you should know that using any of
> those holes without permission is effectively breaking somebody's security.
> I.e. it is an unfriendly act.

I must disagree (see above).  How is it an unfriendly act, or a breaking of
security?  Where are the holes?  ARPA<->UUCP gatewaying is a known procedure.
Like I said above, there are known gateways which do forward mail, and every-
one on the gateway site who is in a staff position knows of the gateway's
existence (i.e. you don't need to do something which the staff doesn't know
about).

I hope someone in authority reads this newsgroup, or someone can forward this
posting to someone in authority (I'd do it, but I don't have a DDN Directory
so I don't remember to whom questions can be directed.)  I suppose if you have
a real important question, it can be addressed to NIC@SRI-NIC, accessible
through the known gateways.
--
			... hey, we've gotta get out of this place,
    			    there's got to be something better than this ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
gregbo%houxm.uucp@harvard.arpa

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (03/27/85)

> I think it's time ... for someone in authority ... to state the policies
> [regarding access to the ARPAnet].

Maybe the original question (from Joe Orost, viz., "what are the valid
ARPA<->UUCP gateways") should be generalized, if you are going to do that,
to "What are the valid gateways between UUCP and the other e-mail
networks?" Presently most of the e-mail networks (Mailnet and CSnet in
particular) are accessible via ARPAnet gateways.  If the response to the
question posed to the ARPA authorities says "no you can't use it," we will
have to find ways to communicate with those other networks, or the UUCP net
will have lost some of its connectivity: some sites are only on Mailnet or
CSnet or BITNET.  Does anyone know of UUCP gateways directly to CSNET-RELAY
and MIT-MULTICS? (Gateways from UUCP to DEC's networks, and to BITNET, have
recently been posted here.) It would obviously be preferable to use such
direct connections where possible, but it appears people have relied up
till now on the universality of the ARPAnet to insure connectivity between
the other networks.
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

"Not that the story need be long; but that it will take a long time
 to make it short."  -- H. D. Thoreau

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/27/85)

I am not a "person of authority" on the ARPANET, but I can shed some light.

The official ARPANET policy is that anyone who causes a packet to be
sent over the ARPANET is "using the ARPANET" and better be doing so
only to fulfill a DOD contract.  Any other use of the ARPANET is illegal.

While there has never been an official statement of what this means for
mail bridges (sometimes incorrectly called "gateways"), most people in
the know think that if an official interpretation were to be asked for
the interpretation would be "if a person on UUCP send a message, via
a bridge, to a person on the ARPANET, and that UUCP person has not
been officially granted permission to use the ARPANET, this person is
using the ARPANET, and the bridge is violating ARPANET policy by serving
as an unauthorized gateway."

If this issue were to be pursued, it is possible that the sites serving
as bridges (as a courtesy to both communities) might be pressured into
terminating the bridge service.  So we have not pursued it.

Practical reality is another matter.  Even within the ARPANET itself,
there has always been lots of non DOD related traffic.  Any university
that is on the ARPANET views the entire university (or at least the
parts of it that the ARPA contact trusts) is "on the net", and allowed
to use it for whatever they like.  There is lots of traffic by legitimate
researchers talking to other legitimate researchers about research they
are doing that is not funded by DARPA.  There is lots of personal traffic.
(Not unlike UUCP.)  There are even big mailing lists, like SF-LOVERS,
that clearly are not DOD related.  It got to the point where people would
list their ARPANET mailing address in their publications and talks, since
they knew that most people who were doing related work were also on the
ARPANET.  (Look in any issue of SIGART, for example.)

Now that TCP/IP is the norm, there are lots of local nets at the various
universities.  People on the local net are also allowed to use the ARPANET
as though they were directly on it, but they are not on it and are subject
only to the requirements of the local net itself.

I have made the analogy that if a DOD person has a terminal on the ARPANET
in his office, it's not unlike having a telephone or a paper mailbox on
his desk.  If I want to send this person paper mail, I'll send it via
US mail and the local delivery person will carry it down the hall and
drop it in the mailbox.  I don't get arrested because I caused this
delivery person (a DOD resource) to carry my letter down the hall.  Ditto
for the phone, assuming the PBX system the DOD organization has is
reachable via the public network.  I don't see why electronic mail should
be treated any differently.

Now, we look at the current situation, as it has evolved in practice.
The UUCP community has grown to the point where it is larger than the
ARPA Internet.  There are a few mail bridges who are willing to pass
mail between the two (without official permission.)  People depend one
these bridges to get their jobs done.  It doesn't cause anybody any
problems to forward mail from one net to the other.  In fact, it's more
likely to cause a problem when an ARPA person sends mail to UUCP, since
they caused some UUCP machine to place a phone call and run up their
phone bill.  The ARPANET uses leased lines with a fixed cost, so additional
traffic (as long as it doesn't overload the network) doesn't cost anything
extra.

I am told that the people who run the ARPANET are aware of UUCP and other
networks, and are not unhappy with the status quo.  They realize that
people are getting useful work done and do not want to clamp down.  They
are worried, however, that someone might someday do something nasty to
some machine on the ARPANET.  They want to be able to invoke their official
policy if this happens, shutting off the bridge and preventing such access
from happening again.

The one major thing that ARPA does not want to have happen is the rest of
the world using them as a forwarding mechanism or transport mechanism
between two outside networks.  If I am on UUCP and I want to send mail to
CSNET, right now there is no CSNET-UUCP mail bridge (that I know of) so
I have to send my mail via either the ARPANET or BITNET.  If I send it via
the ARPANET, I'm violating both official policy and unofficial policy,
e.g. this is a Bad Thing.  If I'm in California and I place a local phone
call to my nearby ARPA-UUCP bridge, which sends the mail to New York,
which places a local call to the destination, what I've basically done is
to use the ARPANET to avoid a phone bill.  I am told that this is not
supposed to be allowed to happen.

Since some networks only seem to be attached to the ARPANET, there is no
other way to get to people on them, and I don't feel guilty about going
via the ARPANET.  This especially applies to LAN's at universities on the
ARPANET, but also applies to MailNet.  In practice, it may apply to
CSNET as well, I don't know of a way to get to them except over the ARPANET.
(I would prefer, however, to see CSNET-UUCP bridges set up.  Since there
are UNIX machines on both, there is no reason for this not to happen.)

However, it is bad form to use the ARPANET to go between UUCP and BITNET
(there is an official gateway at Penn State) or UUCP and DEC (there is
a gateway at DECWRL) or worse yet, between UUCP and UUCP.

My reading says that as long as one of the two people involved in the
mail transaction is on the ARPANET, it's OK.  However, I must disclaim
authority on this - I cannot speak for the ARPANET.

	Mark Horton

dw@rocksvax.UUCP (Don Wegeng) (03/29/85)

In article <1044@topaz.ARPA> hedrick@topaz.UUCP (Chuck hedrick) writes:
>You will no doubt find holes in the network access
>controls that allow you to send mail onto the net from UUCP.  But you should
>know that using any of those holes without permission is effectively
>breaking somebody's security.  I.e. it is an unfriendly act.

Here's an excerpt from Defense Data Network (DDN) Management Bulletin
#28, dated March 14, 1985.  The Arpanet and the DDN are both managed by
Defense Communications Agency, but administration and policy the Arpanet
is handled by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA).

 "The purpose of the ARPANET experimental packet-switched network is to
 provide an experimental facility for research into advanced
 packet-switched communication technologies, and provide an advanced
 experimental communication facility in support of government sponsored
 university computer science research.  As such, it is not intended for
 use in lieu of other operational networks. Such operational facilities
 are provided for the Defense Department by the Defense Data Network
 (DDN) and in general by public and private packet-switched networks.

 "The Arpanet is for Official Use Only, i.e.for government sponsored
 activities or related supporting activities. The Arpanet may not be
 used for private gain (e.g. strictly commercial use such as advertising
 or recruiting)."

It is important that anyone who desires to send mail via the Arpanet
be aware of the above, for it explains why UUCP-Arpanet gateways are
not, in general, for public access.

[Please, no flames.  I don't make the rules.]

/Don
--

"Ah yeees, when the ships were wood, and the men were steel."

arpa:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
csnet:	Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
ns:	Wegeng:Henr801C:Xerox
uucp:	dw@rocksvax.UUCP
uucp:	{allegra,amd,decvax!rochester,princeton}!rocksvax!dw
uucp:	ihnp4!tropix!ritcv!rocksvax!dw