[net.mail] how send mail onto ARPAnet?

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (03/12/85)

[]
How does a site on Usenet send mail to a site on ARPAnet?  I've thought
the right way was something like:
     sys1!sys2!gateway!person@arpasite.ARPA

However, when I attempt to reply to an article whose sender is on ARPAnet
I invariably get back a message:  "user unknown".  Now, the "To" line has
been constructed out of article contents, so if the article came to me on
a certain path, why can it not go back along the same path?  I suspect it
has something to do with "earlier" sites in the path also being gateways,
but I have been unable to confirm this.

Email responses are appropriate.  Thanks in advance.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen, Motorola Microsystems         {ihnp4,allegra}!sftig!mot!fred

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (03/20/85)

In article <122@mot.UUCP> fred@mot.UUCP writes:

>How does a site on Usenet send mail to a site on ARPAnet?
>
>Email responses are appropriate.  Thanks in advance.
>--
>Fred Christiansen, Motorola Microsystems         {ihnp4,allegra}!sftig!mot!fred
>{ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!fred         {ihnp4,amdahl}!drivax!mot!fred

          I think that this might be of general interest to the net
(myself included) so would the answerer either post to net.mail or
send the answer to me also?   A general explanation of inter-net mail
for UUCP, ARPA, CSnet, BITNET, etc. might be helpful. Thanks.
--
Dave Iannucci                             ihnp4!allegra \
St. Joseph's University                 psuvax1!burdvax - !sjuvax!iannucci

"A witty saying proves nothing. "    --Voltaire

ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) (03/23/85)

In article <977@sjuvax.UUCP> iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) writes:
>                ..... A general explanation of inter-net mail
>for UUCP, ARPA, CSnet, BITNET, etc. might be helpful. Thanks.
>--

For nets like BITNET, MAILNET etc it would also be useful to know how to
reach people whos login name is unknown. I guess one cann't send mail
to 'root' in these cases.

--
	Bjorn Eriksen
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP: {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!ber
	ARPA:  decvax!mcvax!enea!ber@Berkeley

esa@kvvax4.UUCP (Esa K Viitala) (03/25/85)

In article <sjuvax.977> iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) writes:

  >          I think that this might be of general interest to the net
  >(myself included) so would the answerer either post to net.mail or
  >send the answer to me also?   A general explanation of inter-net mail
  >for UUCP, ARPA, CSnet, BITNET, etc. might be helpful. Thanks.

Yes, indeed. How about a uucp map of gateways?
--

---ekv,  {seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!{kvvax4,kvvax9}!esa

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (03/28/85)

	>(mcvax!piet) has already figured out all the details how the
	>routing should be done (right Piet?)....
*all* the details? Wish I could.....

Actually the general form is: [...!]backbone!user@site.domain

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) (04/02/85)

About routing to other nets. Here in Europe it's very simple.
Piet Beertema (mcvax!piet) has already figured out all the
details how the routing should be done (right Piet?) and with
the help of the rerouting done by most of the european backbones
one just has to write user@site.net, where net is ARPA, CSNET,
BITNET, MAILNET, DEC or SUN.

Until we have the world split into domains and all the software
that goes with it, this scheme is very handy. I site needs only
to know in what direction to send a mail. Using absolute paths
or rerouting at the root is useless as the rerouting information
very quickly goes out of date. Sites in US ought to think about
this.

--
	Bjorn Eriksen
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!{mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!ber
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!ber@berkeley.arpa
		mcvax!enea!ber@seismo.arpa