[net.mail] of maps and blood and Peters...

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (09/10/85)

In article <167@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Wrong. Decisions in routing can be made down the line that are much smarter
>> than your bloody map...
>
>OK. You want to replace his bloody map with your bloody map. Where did all
>this blood come from?

Well, by "your map" I meant the map that is used in pathalias, which
is, except for his own local additions, the ENTIRE map (blood is drawn
when transfering all 900K of it to ALL news sites via net.map <or
whatever Mark calls it these days>). See, the only "smart" thing that
pathalias does is correctly guess the first host to go to -- why should
it decide anything more?

Why can't it just take an address like "user@host7" and instead of
generating host1!host2!host3!host4!host5!host6!host7!user, just
use the same reasoning power that it uses now, and hand "user@host7"
to host1 ? Hmmm... sounds like the plague or communism, or worse
yet, a good idea... That's probably why we don't do it that way.

By the way, then we wouldn't need all that much information and we
also wouldn't need the expensive (cpu time, disk space) software
like pathalias. Just inteligent domains.

------------
Jordan Hayes        jordan@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
UC Berkeley                       ucbvax!jordan
+1 (415) 835-8767    37' 52.29" N 122' 15.41" W

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/11/85)

We already discussed this a couple of weeks ago, but to summarize:

> See, the only "smart" thing that pathalias does is correctly guess the
> first host to go to -- why should it decide anything more?

Because to guess correctly it needs to know the full path, either to the
destination site, or to the domain nameserver.  The latter is fine -- I'll
agree with that.  I disagree with the idea that you can just "guess" the
next adjacent site to send to, though.  The latter case uses pathalias,
both to find the paths to the nameservers, and from the nameservers to the
name the server is resolving the path for.

Instead of just going over and over this, why don't you explain the
algorithm you recommend for guessing the next site to choose?  That would
help in furthering the discussion.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	"Nalgvzr gbzbeebj, gur cubar'yy evat, naq lbh'yy or ba lbhe jnl.
	 Onpx ubzr va Buvb, gurl jba'g oryvrir lbh..."