[net.mail] Standardising the "postmaster" concept

isaac@mungunni.OZ (Isaac Balbin) (09/05/85)

I wonder if there is sufficient support for organising a standard user
like the existing "postmaster" on some Unix Systems, which will enable people
to find out the login id of others. I have often sighed when asked "how can I
find out so ans so's login id when he is on an (for example) IBM machine on
the BITNET". This is especially hard when you are not on such a network
directly. Is there already a special user for VMS, MVS, VM systems?
Who are they? Does *everyone* use them? If not, and we all agree that such
a concept is desirable (given that many sites don't even return invalid mail)
How can we effectively enforce such a standard?

On another point, how often have you wished there was a way to find out that
your mail actually got to where you wanted it too - this is especially
desirable when trying out a new path initially. Can such a "notification"
option exist so that one realises that the only reason no reply has been
received is that the receipient is away or uninterested or trying to avoid
answering you!
PS Many smart sendmails wont let you put in specific loops - whatsmore this
isn't always possible anyway.

Any thoughts? ( I apologise if these have been discussed before - I have
not seen it.)
				Isaac Balbin
				{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!munnari!isaac
				munnari!isaac@seismo.ARPA
				isaac@munnari.oz.CSNET

"If I knew him, I would be him"

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (09/07/85)

This idea has been in the netnews documentation for a long time. Most
properly set up USENET sites have an address `usenet' which is
supposedly read by the person who administrates netnews (I know that
the sites that I have had anything to do with are set up this way, and
most of the sites that I have had occasion to contact at one time or
another in the last three years are similarly equipped). `Postmaster'
as a valid mail address is required by the ARPA Internet Mail Standard,
RFC822, so all ARPA Internet sites will have a `postmaster', regardless
of whether they have netnews or not. I am also told by various reliable
sources that much of the BITNET has standardized on `POSTMAST' as a
contact ID.

Unfortunately for this idea, all of the versions of UNIX, other than
the ones that come from Berkeley (2 & 4 BSD), have the most bletcherous
mailers that it would ever be your misfortune to encounter, which,
without exception, do not support the concept of an `alias' (e.g.
ucbvax!usenet, ucbvax!erik, and a few other things, can all point to
ucbvax!fair, without existing as entries in /etc/passwd).

So until AT&T and its imitators discover what *real* electronic mailing
systems are like (and what they do), we're stuck with the world as it is...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (09/08/85)

> `Postmaster' as a valid mail address is required by the ARPA Internet Mail
> Standard, RFC822, so all ARPA Internet sites will have a `postmaster',
> regardless of whether they have netnews or not.

4.xBSD sites (x >= 2) also have "postmaster" as an alias in their
/usr/lib/aliases file, whether they're on the internet or not, unless
they've deleted it (which they shouldn't do).  Sites running a UNIX which
comes with "sendmail" may also have "postmaster" in their /usr/lib/aliases
file.

> Unfortunately for this idea, all of the versions of UNIX, other than
> the ones that come from Berkeley (2 & 4 BSD), have the most bletcherous
> mailers that it would ever be your misfortune to encounter, which,
> without exception, do not support the concept of an `alias' (e.g.
> ucbvax!usenet, ucbvax!erik, and a few other things, can all point to
> ucbvax!fair, without existing as entries in /etc/passwd).

To clarify a little: "mailer" here doesn't refer to the program you use to
read and send mail messages (System V has a better mailer called "mailx";
the reason it's better is that it's a hacked-up version of the Berkeley
"Mail", although they only mention this fact in comments in the source code -
no credit where credit is due...), but to the program which does mail
delivery and routing.  "Sendmail" and the earlier "delivermail" have an
aliasing capability like this.  Without getting into the endless debate as
to whether "sendmail" is the answer to a maiden's prayer or the horror of
the century, having the ability to do such aliasing is extremely useful once
your Email system gets above a certain level of complexity.

One place where it's *very* useful is if you have a large network of
machines and one machine which acts as a gateway to a large mail network,
like UUCP or the Internet.  You can have everybody mail to, say, "user@sun"
and use the alias mechanism to route mail to the user's own machine.  This
hides the details of your internal network from the rest of the world, who
probably doesn't want to know those details.  Using "sendmail", you can also
rewrite the "From" addresses of outgoing mail so that it looks like it comes
from "user@sun" or whatever, thus completely hiding your internal machines
from the outside world.  (Yes, I know Sun doesn't do that.)

	Guy Harris

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (09/08/85)

I did once write a sendmail.cf at DUAL to hide the internal network,
and had aliases for each user on the network on the main machine.
Once I finished, I was freed from any constraints or worries about the
names of the machines on the internal network. Also, since these
aliases existed on all the machines, all I had to remember to mail a
note to someone was their username. I didn't have to remember which
machine they happened to be reading their mail on this week...

The big difference between DUAL and SUN is that DUAL had only 6
machines on the internal ethernet, which made the administrative
problem tractable by manual procedures. SUN has hundreds of machines on
their multiple ethernets, and thus the mechanics of maintaining such a
table of aliases becomes a lot messier. It is at that scale that some
type of name service becomes important to implement.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (09/09/85)

> The big difference between DUAL and SUN is that DUAL had only 6
> machines on the internal ethernet, which made the administrative
> problem tractable by manual procedures. SUN has hundreds of machines on
> their multiple ethernets, and thus the mechanics of maintaining such a
> table of aliases becomes a lot messier. It is at that scale that some
> type of name service becomes important to implement.

Actually, the part I was referring to when I said "Yes, I know Sun doesn't
do that" is hiding the name of internal machines on outgoing mail.  We *do*
have a huge alias list that forwards all "user@sun" mail to the appropriate
machine.  That was done using the /usr/lib/aliases file, not with a name
server.

	Guy Harris

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/09/85)

Re: sendmail and SYSV

The lit I recently got on AT&T's UNIX SYSV for VM/370 (really Amdahl's
port I believe) lists sendmail among the utilities (I would cheer here
but I have this nagging love/hate relationship with sendmail, tho it
does do the job after some work.) Maybe, just maybe this is a harbinger
of things to come. ATTIS?

It would certainly solve a lot of problems for us, esp on the 3081.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/09/85)

In article <426@mungunni.OZ>, isaac@mungunni.OZ (Isaac Balbin) writes:
> I wonder if there is sufficient support for organising a standard user
> like the existing "postmaster" on some Unix Systems, which will enable people
> to find out the login id of others.
For VM/370 systems [BITNET], the equivalent of "root" is "operator".  You
could try mailing to there.

If each site that connects a new site would ensure that "postmaster" and
"usenet" aliases exist on the new site, this would help.  (One is for
trouble with mail, the other for trouble with netnews.)

It isn't in general possible to answer questions like "how to I send mail
to Joe Blow at Harvard" without calling him up or sending him a postcard,
or finding someone already in electronic touch with him.

>                                                 Can ... a "notification"
> option exist so that one realises that the only reason no reply has been
> received is that the receipient is away or uninterested or trying to avoid
> answering you!
This exists for sites running sendmail or other Arpa-compatible mailers.
Add a header line "Return-receipt-to: XXX" where XXX is your address,
*relative to the receiving site*.  In other words, it's the address your
friend would have to send to, to get the message to you.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/09/85)

> I wonder if there is sufficient support for organising a standard user
> like the existing "postmaster" on some Unix Systems, which will enable people
> to find out the login id of others.
> Any thoughts?

We currently use the name "ns" for that purpose. "postmaster" goes to a
human user. "ns" goes to a program that reads the message (it assumes that
the message consists simply of the name of the person who the user ID is
being requested for) and composes a reply consisting of the output from the
"finger" command given the message line as an argument with the "short"
switch to prevent other information from being supplied (project, etc).  It
would be better to have a program like the CSnet nameserver to which you
can choose to post or not post your personal information; our program
currently restricts the number of queries a person can make, and logs all
its activity, to detect abuse.

PS - "ns" = "Name Server".  It is not particularly mnemonic; my main point
was that a separate name from "postmaster" should be used.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

isaac@mungunni.OZ (Isaac Balbin) (09/10/85)

In article <82@l5.uucp> gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
! In article <426@mungunni.OZ>, isaac@mungunni.OZ (Isaac Balbin) writes:
! > I wonder if there is sufficient support for organising a standard user
! > like the existing "postmaster" on some Unix Systems, which will enable people
! > to find out the login id of others.
! For VM/370 systems [BITNET], the equivalent of "root" is "operator".  You
! could try mailing to there.
!
Thanks for your advice, but it only serves to show how disorganised things are.
A previous news item <10298@ucbvax.ARPA> from Erik Fair quotes reliable sources
as saying they have standardised to POSTMAST!
I don't really care *how* (viz sendmail) one achieves the aliasing - the point
is that there is no uniform way (in practice) as yet to address the
"postmaster" on any machine. There should be; and everyone should conform.
Can/Will it happen? Will everyone keep RFC822 religiously?

! >                                                 Can ... a "notification"
! > option exist so that one realises that the only reason no reply has been
! > received is that the receipient is away or uninterested or trying to avoid
! > answering you!
! This exists for sites running sendmail or other Arpa-compatible mailers.
! Add a header line "Return-receipt-to: XXX" where XXX is your address,
! *relative to the receiving site*.  In other words, it's the address your
! friend would have to send to, to get the message to you.
Thats nice to know. Is there any chance for this to be standardised too?
					Isaac Balbin
					munnari!isaac@seismo.ARPA

In article <428@mungunni.OZ> isaac@mungunni.OZ (Isaac Balbin) writes:
> In article <82@l5.uucp> gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> ! For VM/370 systems [BITNET], the equivalent of "root" is "operator".
> ! You could try mailing to there.
> !
> Thanks for your advice, but it only serves to show how disorganised
> things are.  A previous news item <10298@ucbvax.ARPA> from Erik Fair

(Look, Erik, he spelled it right! :-) )

> quotes reliable sources as saying they have standardised to POSTMAST!

I do not know what standards are in use on BITNET; however, the
two articles Isaac Balbin quotes make orthogonal points.  All ARPA
Unix sites will have both a ``root'' and a ``postmaster''.  If you
are trying to reach someone on such a machine, either address will
suffice.  (Postmaster is, of course, better for mail queries.)  It
is not unreasonable that BITNET would have both ``operator'' and
``postmast''.

> I don't really care *how* (viz sendmail) one achieves the aliasing
> - the point is that there is no uniform way (in practice) as yet
> to address the "postmaster" on any machine. There should be; and
> everyone should conform.  Can/Will it happen? Will everyone keep
> RFC822 religiously?

The nature of the UUCP network implies that the answer is ``no''.
I do believe, however, that the majority of sites can and will
adopt any reasonable standard, as long as the standard is well
known.  (Definitions of ``reasonable'' may vary, but I think
``postmaster'' will fit into most.)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

davecl@orca.UUCP (Dave Clemans) (09/11/85)

Just a short note...

There are at least a couple of other Unix mailers (other than
sendmail/delivermail) that support aliasing and that have seen
wide distribution.  These are MH (from Rand & UCI) and MMDF
(from CSNET, etc.)

dgc

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (09/12/85)

In article <1722@orca.UUCP> davecl@orca.UUCP (Dave Clemans) writes:
>Just a short note...
>
>There are at least a couple of other Unix mailers (other than
>sendmail/delivermail) that support aliasing and that have seen
>wide distribution.  These are MH (from Rand & UCI) and MMDF
>(from CSNET, etc.)

My understanding is that while MMDF supports the sort of aliases that I
meant, MH does not, as it is a user agent, rather than a system wide
mailer ala delivermail or sendmail. Marshall Rose, if you're reading
this, please feel free to correct me.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (09/14/85)

> From: fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair)

> Unfortunately for this idea, all of the versions of UNIX, other than
> the ones that come from Berkeley (2 & 4 BSD), have the most bletcherous
> mailers that it would ever be your misfortune to encounter, which,
> without exception, do not support the concept of an `alias' (e.g.
> ucbvax!usenet, ucbvax!erik, and a few other things, can all point to
> ucbvax!fair, without existing as entries in /etc/passwd).

Ahem.

In Unix System V, /bin/mail allows aliasing without passwd entries by
placing in /usr/mail/user the line

Forward to path!someone

so that mail addressed to "usenet" can be forwarded to someone who can
answer the questions.  Unfortunately, it can't expand to more than one
address.

> So until AT&T and its imitators discover what *real* electronic mailing
> systems are like (and what they do), we're stuck with the world as it is...

Some machines in AT&T have sendmails running -- typically they're on the
Datakit network.

Don't malign AT&T mailers too much, they're not totally losing.

One other thing, mailx(1) is a user agent, not a mailer.
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (09/20/85)

In article <5307@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>Ahem.
>
>In Unix System V, /bin/mail allows aliasing without passwd entries by
>placing in /usr/mail/user the line
>
>Forward to path!someone
>
>so that mail addressed to "usenet" can be forwarded to someone who can
>answer the questions.  Unfortunately, it can't expand to more than one
>address.

Ahem.  Ahem.  Cough Cough.

1%% cat /usr/mail/bogus
Forward to stv
2%% mail bogus
Subject: test
this is a test
test. test. test.
EOT
Can't send to bogus
"/q7/stv/dead.letter" 2/32
3%%

This would only work if there was a line in my /etc/passwd file
that started with "bogus".

Also, you're right, there is no way to say
	"Forward to curly, larry, moe"
or anything like that, let alone
	"Forward to ~/mailarchive" or
	"Forward to |lp".
This limits the value of the "Forward to" feature, in my opinion.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,ihnp4}!qantel!stv