We send out mail conforming to the standard, looking like this:

	From: mark@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP (Mark Horton)

It's received by other systems, which feed it through sendmail.
Sendmail has a production that recognizes

	user@host.UUCP

and translates it into

	host!uucp

Unfortunately, due to a bug in their sendmail.cf, if "host" is a
dotted subdomain like "cbosgd.ATT" it still does the translation,
and gets

	cbosgd.ATT!mark

This in itself might be OK if it translated it back later.  However,
what it seems to do is pass it in this bang notation along to subsequent
hosts in the route, or drop it in local mailboxes looking like either

	From: cbosgd.ATT!mark
or rarely
	From: mark@cbosgd.ATT

In the meantime, I suspect that due to the widespread distribution
of this bug, and since (I think) it's in 4.3BSD and in Sun 2.0, both
of which are very recent major releases, it seems like it would be
very difficult to get the fix to this widely installed.  Unless someone
has a better idea, I think we may be forced to avoid the name UUCP as
a top level domain, and fit into the name space somewhere else.
Possibilities include:

(1) renaming UUCP, calling it, say, UU or SMAIL or something else.
    This would leave the name UUCP for the explicit purpose of
    indicating a call to uux.  (Suggestions for the name, should
    we do this, are welcome.)

(2) do nothing.  We essentially depend on the fact that the name UUCP
    is built into the smail software as a default, so that cbosgd.ATT
    is treated the same as cbosgd.ATT.UUCP.

(3) fit into the ARPA organizational space, with names like cbosgd.ATT.COM
    and ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU.  This might not be hard, given the facilities
    of smail and pathalias, but we do not have official permission from
    ARPA to do this, and they have not been moving quickly to
    resolve the problem.  (Since they keep the registries for EDU,
    COM, GOV, MIL, and ORG, we would have to register with them.)

(4) fit into the MHS (X.400) name space, or some reasonable mapping of it.
    This means that the top level is always a two letter country code,
    and the level under that would be somewhat ad-hoc (they seem to be
    moving in the direction of the organization at the next level, but
    they don't require org names to be unique, and this isn't really
    standardized yet.)  This seems to be very close to what the parts
    of UUCP outside the USA and Canada want to do anyway.  We might have
    subdivisions under US and/or Canada, those subdivisions might be
    EDU, COM, and GOV, or they might be 8 or so geographic subdivisions,
    or they might be the organizations themselves (if we can convince
    ourselves we're really capable of handling that,) or they might be
    the Administration Management Domain required by X.400 (this is
    basically the name of the common carrier, e.g. telco, through which
    the domain can be reached.) We would also have to share this name
    space, each country would have to work it out with their appropriate
    administration domain (this usually means the phone company, but in
    the US it isn't clear who it means, perhaps the State Dept in the
    Federal Government.)

We're very close to having the software ready to send out, but this may
slow us up.

	Mark Horton

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (09/12/85)

In article <1469@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>Possibilities include:
>
>(1) renaming UUCP, calling it, say, UU or SMAIL or something else.
>    This would leave the name UUCP for the explicit purpose of
>    indicating a call to uux.  (Suggestions for the name, should
>    we do this, are welcome.)

How about FUN ...?

>(2) do nothing.  We essentially depend on the fact that the name UUCP
>    is built into the smail software as a default, so that cbosgd.ATT
>    is treated the same as cbosgd.ATT.UUCP.

Nope. No good.

>(3) fit into the ARPA organizational space,

EEK. What a nightmare.

>(4) fit into the MHS (X.400) name space, or some reasonable mapping of it.

Are you serious? No one UNDERSTANDS X.400... I see the only reasonable
solution is to remove the .UUCP bug in 4.3 sendmail.cf, and rename the
top level domain. Perhaps as a consolation (pronounced "boobie")
to Peter, I suggest we make it the FUN domain, 'cause it just be
soooo fun...

/jordan

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/12/85)

Well, for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

(1) renaming UUCP ...

I think this is best.  You have to bear in mind that other mailers out
there exist that use the domain name UUCP in the same way we (some of
us) use the domain names .COM, .GOV, etc.  I.e., it says "forward it
to our UUCP gateway, who will figure out how to get it there".  CSnet
did this back when I was a CSnet user, for example.  The name UUCP doesn't
mean much to us since we are within the domain, but outside it has more
significance.  Maybe something like UUMAIL would be good; it's always
been theoretically bothersome to me that UUCP transports both the mail and
the news, but the domain denotes the mail.

(2) do nothing. ...

No, this wouldn't work because then when someone outside gets a message,
if I understand you correctly, it would end up saying

	From: jer@jerpc.PE

and they would have no idea what .PE meant: was it on CSnet? Bitnet? Mailnet?
PE's internal network? or what?

(3) fit into the ARPA organizational space, with names like cbosgd.ATT.COM

I think this would be worst of all, since it brings on the problems
inherent in insisting on the "domains are not routes" approach.  I.e., if
we fit into the ARPA organizational space, it becomes hard in practice to
do the mail routing from the less privileged mail networks (those that
don't have access to the registry information).  Presently they can blindly
forward the mail with .UUCP on the end to a site with pathalias, and let it
resolve it.  If it says ATT.COM, they have to keep up with what the UUCP
subdomains of COM are, in some sense, in order to decide how to deliver it.

(4) fit into the MHS (X.400) name space, or some reasonable mapping of it.

The only problem with this is it's so hard to find out what X.400 is...
could you summarize, possibly, how X.400 works?
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (09/13/85)

In article <1469@cbosgd.UUCP>, mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
> Possibilities include:
>
> (4) fit into the MHS (X.400) name space, or some reasonable mapping of it.
>     This means that the top level is always a two letter country code,
>     and the level under that would be somewhat ad-hoc (they seem to be
>     moving in the direction of the organization at the next level, but
>     they don't require org names to be unique, and this isn't really
>     standardized yet.)  This seems to be very close to what the parts
>     of UUCP outside the USA and Canada want to do anyway.  We might have
>     subdivisions under US and/or Canada, those subdivisions might be
>     EDU, COM, and GOV, or they might be 8 or so geographic subdivisions,
>     or they might be the organizations themselves (if we can convince
>     ourselves we're really capable of handling that,)

I vote for this.  Besides being a proposed(?) standard, ".US", ".UK",
and so on do have some real-world significance, rather than becoming
a historical artifcat to justify to our grandchildren.

I don't understand the politics of the name space control
issue.  Given the diversity of this country, I feel that
breaking the ".US" domain up into pieces is a necessity.  And
what if there are two "Westech" companies (there are)?  Who
arbites it?  One national, all powerful-registry?  Or regional
registries.

Incidentally, California is about 10% of the US population, but
more of the non-AT&T net.  It should probably be a separate
region.

Perhaps we could follow the territory of Local Operating Companies,
e.g., Pacific Bell, Bell South, US West, and so on.  Judge Green
had some sort of balance in mind. :-)

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal (c/o UC San Diego)
	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (09/16/85)

In article <10361@ucbvax.ARPA> jordan@ucbvax.UUCP (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Perhaps as a consolation (pronounced "boobie")
>to Peter, I suggest we make it the FUN domain, 'cause it just be
>soooo fun...

Oh?  I thought it stood for F***ed Up Network :-!
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"The difference between reality and unreality is that reality has

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (09/17/85)

In article <1469@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
> . . .   Unless someone
> has a better idea, I think we may be forced to avoid the name UUCP as
> a top level domain, and fit into the name space somewhere else.
> Possibilities include:
>
> . . .
> (3) fit into the ARPA organizational space, with names like cbosgd.ATT.COM
>     and ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU.  This might not be hard, given the facilities
>     of smail and pathalias, but we do not have official permission from
>     ARPA to do this, and they have not been moving quickly to
>     resolve the problem.  (Since they keep the registries for EDU,
>     COM, GOV, MIL, and ORG, we would have to register with them.)

This alternative looks like a clear winner to me.  Note, for
example, that the second name, ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU, already exists.
The idea of uniting the domain and name spaces of North America's two
most visible electronic mail internets (DDN and UUCP) is tremendously
attractive, even though it might mean giving up some measure of domain
identity to the people who will eventually administer the entire
domain name scheme for DOD.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

[Warning:  Human (and Elvish of course :-) ), not software, issues
discussed herein.  If you are not interested in such, do not read on.]

In article <12532@styx.UUCP> mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> In article <1469@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>> [possibilities include trying to] fit into the ARPA organizational
>> space, with names like cbosgd.ATT.COM and ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU.

> This alternative looks like a clear winner to me. ...  The idea of
> uniting the domain and name spaces of North America's two most
> visible electronic mail internets (DDN and UUCP) is tremendously
> attractive, even though it might mean giving up some measure of
> domain identity to the people who will eventually administer the
> entire domain name scheme for DOD.

That is indeed the problem, as Mark points out:

>> This might not be hard, given the facilities of smail and pathalias,
>> but we do not have official permission from ARPA to do this, and
>> they have not been moving quickly to resolve the problem.  (Since
>> they keep the registries for EDU, COM, GOV, MIL, and ORG, we would
>> have to register with them.)

It would not actually be necessary to register with them; however,
this would likely create an administrative disaster.  The key
feature of domains, as far as DARPA is concerned, is that administrivia
is moved out of one central region, yet is still clearly defined:
it is somewhere written that UMD.EDU shall be the responsibility
of the University of Maryland.

While we could simply ``take over'' the name space so thoughtfully
provided us, it would create a great deal of confusion among many
sites.  No longer would ``*.COM'' be found in the COM registry on
the ARPAnet, for ATT.COM would exist only in the UUCP world.  I do
not believe that the NIC would be happy about this situation; ARPA
sites that receive UUCP mail and are unable to reply (as they are
not running the UUCP routing software so cannot understand why the
COM registry does not know about ATT) would likely bombard them
with queries.

This, then, is the problem:  How can we adopt an existing namespace
without hurting those already using it?  The answer, I think, is
that we cannot.  The UUCP routing system is sufficiently different
from the ARPA system that it will not simply ``plug in''.  From a
user's viewpoint, however, merging the namespaces is very attractive.
If we do this, we must decide which naming scheme we shall use.
I think that, in terms of software, it actually matters not whether
we use ATT.UUCP or ATT.COM; the software will handle either, an it
becomes common usage.  It is true that a single special case is,
at least, more obvious, and for this reason we should choose
ATT.UUCP.  But a UUCP domain has no real administrative implications,
unlike other domains, so this is perhaps misleading, and we should
then choose ATT.COM.

				* * *

Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous
gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.
But if you demand advice, I will for friendship's sake give it.
 . . .  Oh, sorry, that was a different conversation.

I personally believe that we should adopt the existing namespace
wholeheartedly.  d.osg.cb.att.com, ucbvax.berkeley.edu, and the
like are at least consistent with their ARPA-world counterparts.
But I have not invested as much time in studying these matters as
others have, and I think we should hear their viewpoints before we
commit ourselves to any one course of action.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

jim@hwcs.UUCP (Jim Crammond) (09/22/85)

> (1) Renaming UUCP

Well since most/all other communication based domains seem to have
the obligatory word "NET" in them (e.g. csnet, bitnet, mailnet),
how about "UUNET" ?
--
-Jim Crammond		JANET:	jim@UK.AC.hw.cs