From: jim@mit-athena (Jim Fulton)
Subject: For your enjoyment about mailer configurations.

Below is a copy of piece of mail that was sent to me.  Ironically, it
managed to actually get to the right place.  As far as I can figure, the
following happened:

	1.  a letter to me was addressed on MIT-XX to "jim@eddie" by mistake
		(it should have been addressed to "fulton@mit-eddie" or
		"jim@athena").

	2.  the mailer at MIT-XX parsed that into jim@uw-eddie.arpa
		instead of jim@mit-eddie.arpa.

	3.  the person with the account "jim" at UW-EDDIE has his
		mail forwarded to "jim@apollo".

	4.  the mailer at UW-EDDIE then parsed APOLLO into MIT-APOLLO
		and sent the mail back to MIT.

	5.  I then managed to receive the mail through MIT-APOLLO and
		everything worked out okay.  I know that mailers don't always
		take the most optimal route, but....

 **** the mail message as I got it ****

Date: Mon 26 Aug 85 14:09:13-EDT
From: James D. McNamara <MERLIN@mit-xx.arpa>
Subject: line busy
To: jim@uw-eddie.arpa
Cc: fulton@uw-eddie.arpa

	message....

 **** and then, the result of saying finger jim@uw-eddie.arpa ****

% finger jim@uw-eddie.arpa

[UW-EDDIE.ARPA]
*** Mail automatically forwarded to jim@apollo ***
executing a local finger:
Login name: jim       			In real life: Jim Rees
Office: 408 Sieg,  x5-0912		Home phone: 523-9058
Directory: /u1/jim                  	Shell: /bin/csh
Group: eden
Never logged in
No Plan.
[jim@mit-apollo.arpa]

...	**** does a finger of jim@mit-apollo.arpa

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (10/14/85)

At one time, we had aliases on uw-eddie for all the users of mit-eddie.
That way they still got their mail even if it was sent to our eddie
(UW's, that is) by mistake.

I wonder what other mail is going to the wrong place because of the
conflict between the arpa apollo and the uucp apollo.  So far I haven't
seen any mail intended for Jim McNamara (the MIT jim@apollo).

Another potential screw-up:  My brother works for MIT.  I'm apollo!rees,
and he can probably get mail at rees@apollo.arpa.