From uucp Wed Nov  6 18:55 EST 1985
>From uucp  Wed Nov  6 13:18:02 1985 remote from ihnp4
From: ihnp4!uucp
Full-Name: UUCP Admin
Subject: Warning From uucp
Apparently-To: drutx!jca

We have been unable to contact machine 'osu-eddie' since you queued
your job.

	osu-eddie!mail arnson   (Date 11/04)
The job will be deleted in several days if the problem is not corrected.
If you care to kill the job, execute the following command:

	uustat -kosu-eddN1210

	Sincerely,
	ihnp4!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
From: ihnp4!drutx!jca
To: ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-eddie!arnson
Subject: test

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*\
This is the mail header, etc. that I receive FROM osu-eddie:

From news Tue Dec  3 08:12 EST 1985
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85 23:05:20 est
From: ihnp4!osu-eddie!arnson (Jill C. Arnson)
To: cbosgd!ihnp4!drutx!jca
Subject: test1

this is a test of Mail
9:05 MST

--
		jill c. arnson
		ihnp4!drutx!jca

Lily Tomlin says that the key element in power dressing is "...sort
of like a scarf, sort of like a tie, sort of like a ruffle, and it
doesn't threaten anyone because you don't look good in it." From
@u(The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe) (-:

glc@akgua.UUCP (G.L. Cleveland [Lindsay]) (12/13/85)

More than once has a site connected to "akgua" been cursed with the
problem of mail only flowing in one direction.  It usually turns
out that:

  1. It is a new site that is using the UUCP control tables
       "USERFILE" or "Permissions" as received on the release tape.
  2. It is a site that has just upgraded their UUCP to the
       Honey-Danbur version (changing from "USERFILE" to "Permissions")
  3. Somebody decided to "tighten up security" and started mucking
       around with "USERFILE" or "Permissions".

By manipulation of the above-mentioned control table, it is quite
possible to create a set of permissions that only allow mail to be
sent but never received.  The message from the "refused" site that
gets sent to the mailer ("...unable to contact machine...") is
misleading.

I suggest that the UUCP maintainers of both sites involved get on
the phone, run some tests with the "debug mode" on, i.e.

  /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -x8 -scbosgd &

and watch what happens.  Of course, a review of the permission
table might also reveal the problem, but that's not as much fun as
watching "uucico" run!

(Of course this could all be some other problem, like one site having
their telephones turned off during the holidays because "nobody
will be using them".)

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland  (akgua!glc) (404) 447-3909   Cornet 583-3909
AT&T Technologies/Bell Laboratories ... Atlanta, Ga

gjm@packard.UUCP (Gary J. Murakami) (12/15/85)

While I am no longer officially supporting ihnp4, I check on its status
occationally.  In this case, a test to osu-eddie resulted in "login
failed."  Somehow ihnp4!action didn't get (or maybe install) an update
for login/password changes at osu-eddie.

FYI, ihnp4 has over 1500 connections and over 200 (13%) of the
connections are broken!

Some of these "broken" connections are new and ihnp4 just hasn't been
able to get around to testing them.  Some of the problems (1-2 dozen)
are due to the REMOTE REJECT YOU ARE UNKNOWN TO ME problem that comes as
the default "secure" configuration for HDB UUCP as mentioned by Lindsay.

But by far, most of the problems are due to poor administration, e.g.
administrators that dont send in updates for changes and dont return
phone calls ( - note that ihnp4 hasn't changed its public access
connection information in years).

I used to make/answer a many dozens of phone calls and mail messages a
week to try to fix broken connections.   Even with that effort, there
were over 100 bad connections at any given time. Currently, Kathy
Andrews <ihnp4!action> juggles a multiple person job just handling the
phone and mail updates from administrators.

Entropy?  If that is a term applicable to a small mail/UUCP site, how do
you describe a major mail/UUCP gateway?  A paradox?  A singularity?

... More like a cross between a star and a black hole ... :-)

-Gary