[net.mail] AT&T Rate Increase will affect your phone bill

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (03/05/86)

In article <885@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> If you want to accomplish something with your phone bill, I suggest that
> instead of complaining about the 5% changes in the discount rate, you
> instead ask the FCC to let AT&T *CUT* their long distance rates in the
> way they've proposed many times in the past.

Come on, Lauren.  I have immense respect for you and your opinions and
knowledge about communication related subjects.  But you just *must*
explain this one to me.

When I received the notice of proposed rate increase in the mail, I was
furious.  For quite some time now, I have remained loyal to AT&T, even
though the quality of the ALDC's is getting better and better.  I think
that AT&T got screwed almost as badly as the consumer did in the breakup.
I have been waiting patiently for the FCC to allow AT&T to lower their
rates to become more competitive.

Now, AT&T wants to raise their rates?  They're already the most expensive
carrier and got into the business without the immense initial investment
that most of the other companies had.

Lauren, please explain this rate increase.  You suggest that I ask
the FCC to allow AT&T to lower their rates?  Why is AT&T asking for a
rate increase?  Out of spite for the FCC?  "The FCC won't allow us to lower
our rates, so let's raise them, instead."  I just don't understand.

Sorry for the flame, I'm really just re-directing some anger.
I really would like a sensible explanation.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin            allyn@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu    or
                          UCSD EMU/Pascal Project  {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

 "Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."