[net.mail] Bizarre message from cbosgd

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (05/01/86)

I sent an updated map entry to cbosgd!postmap via ihnp4, and received
the appended message. It is completely incomprehensible, since I don't
know whether

	1. The map people at cbosgd got & processed the map entry;
	2. What seismo has to do with this;
	3. Why cbosgd is putting out a diagnostic message referring
	   mysteriously to mail involving seismo.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

By the way, has anyone received the mod.map postings more recently
than the Dawn of Man? We haven't seen any in a long while...

Michael C. Berch
News/mail - styx
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!mcb

---------
From ihnp4!cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.COM!uucp Wed Apr 30 14:11:03 1986
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 86 00:04:40 edt
From: ihnp4!cbosgd!uucp (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy)
To: mcb

Subject: Undeliverable Mail
This mail message is undeliverable.
(Probably to or from system 'seismo')
It was sent to you or by you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

	Sincerely,
	cbosgd!uucp

##### Data File: ############################
Date: Mon Apr 21 09:30:16 1986
>From: ihnp4!styx!mcb (Michael C. Berch)
Subject: New map entry for styx
To: cbosgd!postmap
Cc: postmaster

[body of msg deleted...]

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (05/01/86)

In article <20618@styx.UUCP> mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>I sent an updated map entry to cbosgd!postmap via ihnp4, and received
>the appended message. It is completely incomprehensible, since I don't
>know whether
>
>	1. The map people at cbosgd got & processed the map entry;
>	2. What seismo has to do with this;
>	3. Why cbosgd is putting out a diagnostic message referring
>	   mysteriously to mail involving seismo.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
>By the way, has anyone received the mod.map postings more recently
>than the Dawn of Man? We haven't seen any in a long while...

Boy, you run into a few problems one month and people get testy...

As I said in a posting to net.news.config, cbosgd's dialers are broken,
due to strangeness in the telco's phone lines.  We are unable to dial
out to anybody, although others can dial us.  Furthermore, I'm getting
various indications that others are having trouble dialing us.  For
example, seismo, which normally dials us frequently, isn't picking up
mail on cbosgd for periods of over a week.  cbosgd runs HDB UUCP, which
cleans out /usr/spool/uucp after a week and returns mail to the sender.
Mail to seismo is getting bounced, as is mail to most places cbosgd can
normally dial.

When someone mails to cbosgd!uucpmap, it gets logged on cbosgd and forwarded
to Mel Pleasant at Rutgers.  The path from cbosgd to Rutgers goes via seismo,
or at least, went via seismo until a few days ago when I redid the tables
for the umpteenth time to try to get our outgoing mail to go through datakit,
which we can still call out on.

Your particular message came into cbosgd, got forwarded to Mel via seismo,
and sat in our outgoing UUCP spool directory waiting for seismo to call us.
For some reason, seismo hasn't called and after a week it's still there,
so it was returned to you.  The HDB UUCP level software that returns the
mail doesn't know about RFC 822, it just looks at the UUCP level sender
of the message and returns it there, so there's no way to redirect the failure
to me for this case, or to get a higher level error message that doesn't
mention the word "seismo" so as not to confuse you.

I guess the Dawn of Man took place in March.  There was no April posting,
because Mel has been reorganizing the map, and because of cbosgd's problems.
We expect to make a posting in May, one way or another.

If your mail to cbosgd!uucpmap got bounced, please resend it, with a
carbon copy to caip!uucpmap if you like.  I believe the routing tables
will now route via a longer, but working, route.

We're working on the phone line problem, and on ways around it, but since
it's been nearly 6 weeks with no fix, I'm not holding my breath.

If anyone out there is having trouble dialing INTO cbosgd, please let me
know, in lots of details, what's going wrong.  If you're logging in as luucp,
or dialing 4700, that's the problem, please contact me for more recent
UUCP info.  The phone numbers were phased into a new rotary over a year ago,
and luucp was changed around then too, and it was announced, but some people
are still using luucp.

	Mark Horton
	ihnp4!cbosgd!mark	(ihnp4 works in both directions via datakit)
	(614) 860-4276