[net.mail] Reading other peoples' mail

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (04/11/86)

Sooo...pretty interesting topic we're all talking about here.

I'm rather disgusted by the attitude John Gilmore has towards the whole
issue though.

I can just imagine sending someone encrypted mail because I DON'T WANT
ANYONE along the way reading it and getting a message back from
john_gilmore@hoptoad saying "You were using my machine for your mail and
I couldn't ascertain if it was legit or not so I removed it.  If you
don't like it, USE ANOTHER MAIL ROUTE!"

Such a friendly attitude.  So willing to help.

As one of the local mail "folks" here in HP, I've actually been known to
propose built-in encryption routines that would be part of SENDMAIL or
some other ``second level'' transport mechanism that would know the
public encryption keys for specific machines.  The mail packet going off
of the local machine would then be encrypted as it left (regardless of
the protocol - SMTP/UUCP/ACSnet/??) and then decrypted as it was received
on the destination machine.

While nosy twits (no names needed) could still go through the pain of
decrypting, it would in reality be such a hassle that they'd just find
themselves out of a source of amusement.

By the same token, that's why my mailer, Msg, has a built-in encryption
facility that's so incredibly easy to use...

------------------

	On the other hand, it seems we're all dealing with this in an
  adversarial sort of way...

  That is, if John wants to limit the mail that goes through his system to
  small packets only, or whatever, then what we need to do is to modify the
  SYSTEM to support that.  For example, let's have mailers that use
  different routes according to the size of the message...think of it -
  machines that could perhaps direct connect long-distance phone line type
  connections NOW if the message is small (under 2K, say) or queue any
  larger messages for that evening (or a different route even).

	This is, from what I understand, somewhat akin to the ACSnet bit
  about prioritized message packets...

	If I had a machine of my own I'd make my uucp map entry something
  that made calling to my machine reasonably cheap, but calling OUT of
  my machine, even if to a local host, incredibly expensive.  This would
  mean that my machine would be a 'last resort' route if absolutely needed,
  but otherwise I'd never see mail.

	You can't have it both ways - you can't be a "mini-hub" and still
  ask not to have too much mail go through your system...

-------------

	In a ramblin' sort of way, this afternoon,

					-- Dave Taylor

					taylor@hplabs

bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (04/21/86)

In article <168@dione.rice.EDU> salex@iapetus.rice.edu (Scott Alexander) writes:

>If you rely on any utility of mail being private, especially if it
>goes through machines not controlled by sender or recipient, you are
>fooling yourself.

I don't rely on it being private.  I do rely on it being unmolested by
other Systems Administrators.  Mail's utility is predicated on it being
as reliable as the network will allow.

> It has been my observation that
>all mail administrators that I have dealt with have very few qualms
>about reading others mail.  Perhaps, it shouldn't be that way, but
>it's not going to change any more quickly than any of the other
>problems which result from a system of decentralized control of the
>network.

I'm sorry that's the case.  *I* figure my users have some right to
privacy.  For those SAs that go out of their way to read mail, I hope
they read something about themselves.
--

  	  Byron Howes
     Systems Manager -- NCECS

In article <105@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>Perhaps the best course is to look at a parallel service - handling third party
>traffic in radio service.
>
>The essence is that you may read the messages, but may not divulge them, or use
>the information for your own benefit.  You are also responsible for checking
>that the messages you retransmit do not violate appropriate regulations - i.e.
>obscenity or illegal content.

>As a system/mail administrator it is perfectly reasonable to monitor the mail
>through your site, however one should do so in the role of a dispassionate
>observer.  You are not interested in who the messages are from or why the were
>sent - just that the content is allowable and that the use of your system is not
>abusive.

I both agree and have problems with this.  I agree that the role of the
systems administrator with respect to others' mail that must be read should
be that of a dispassionate observer.  I think also, however, that one should
*avoid* reading others' mail unless it is unavoidable.  With respect to
abuse of the system, it would take considerable probable cause for me to
want to regularly monitor mail (yuck -- distasteful!)  Obscenity is
somthing I'm not qualified to judge on.
--

  	  Byron Howes
     Systems Manager -- NCECS
usenet/bitnet address:  bch@ecsvax

andrew@stc.UUCP (04/22/86)

First, let me go on record: I have neither the time, nor the
inclination to read any mail not addressed to me, and not causing
a snarl-up in stc's e-mail system.

On the other hand I think one has to regard e-mail much as a picture
postcard, ie as published material, and any defamatory comments in
an e-mail message as libel  - it is easy to apply any sort of encryption
to secure your message from casual snooping (Rot13 for instance
would, I believe, suffice to change it to a private communication)

Hmm yes I think this picture-postcard is a good analogy, since there is
the text right alongside the address... comments?
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew@tcom.stc.co.uk>

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (04/22/86)

--
> Even if csuh only connects to lll-crg, you have no right to tell other
> sites what to do with your mail. I don't make a practice of reading
> mail going through my site but that's no promise I won't. UUCP is
> always leaving little turds around for me to clean up. Sometimes I
> look at them to figure out what they are. And my users have access
> also. (I run uucp 777 mode, to keep things simple.)
>
> If you don't like it, set up your own connection. I have no
> responsibility for your traffic.
> --
>  Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720

You have a moral responsibility, Phil.  The very concept of mail
assumes privacy between sender and receiver.  You know that.
I can't stop you from reading my mail (if it happens to blow by
in the night), but if you do snoop you are doing something wrong.
I'm glad you "don't make a practice" of reading mail.  You should,
as a generic upstanding human being, promise that you won't.

I'm flabbergasted at how many system administrators feel it's
permissible to snoop simply because they own or maintain the computer
resource.  It's sad what happens when people are well trained but
poorly educated.  Get your heads out of your respective tty's and
into some Maimonides, Aquinas, Aristotle, or Kant.  Or even Mill.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (04/23/86)

In article <1416@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:

>You have a moral responsibility, Phil.  The very concept of mail
>assumes privacy between sender and receiver.  You know that.

Nonsense. UUCP mail has always been unreliable and insecure.  Don't go
comparing UUCP mail with USmail.  If you don't like the (free) service
my site provides, don't use it. I didn't ask you to send mail through
my site. I didn't set it up as a relay site. Relaying happens by default
and it would be an effort to turn it off.

>I'm glad you "don't make a practice" of reading mail.  You should,
>as a generic upstanding human being, promise that you won't.

You missed my point that as a system admin one can not promise not to.
But then, you probably don't know anything about running a system
anyway.

--
 Cats are alien beings sent here to sit on our cars.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (04/24/86)

--
[A discussion between Phil Ngai & me on privacy of e-mail]

> >You have a moral responsibility, Phil.  The very concept of mail
> >assumes privacy between sender and receiver.  You know that.
>
> Nonsense. UUCP mail has always been unreliable and insecure.  Don't go
> comparing UUCP mail with USmail.  If you don't like the (free) service
> my site provides, don't use it. I didn't ask you to send mail through
> my site. I didn't set it up as a relay site. Relaying happens by default
> and it would be an effort to turn it off.

The comparison is valid.  The contents of UUCP mail, like US mail,
are assumed to be confidential.  The mail may get lost or munged--it
often does--but it is not written for public dissemination.

> >I'm glad you "don't make a practice" of reading mail.  You should,
> >as a generic upstanding human being, promise that you won't.
>
> You missed my point that as a system admin one can not promise not to.
> But then, you probably don't know anything about running a system
> anyway.
>
>  Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720

I was vague in my use of the word "promise".  Having been a system
administrator a few years back, I'm well aware of the lengths you
go to in putting broken files and file systems back together.
Analogously, postal workers certainly have to read pieces of letters
that were inadvertently shredded in order to put them back together
as best they can.  I do not consider this a violation of privacy.

When these accidents happen, what you are reading is not exactly
mail.  Also by analogy, letters fall out of envelopes, addresses get
erased or smeared, etc.  The promise refers to an intention to
maintain the sender-receiver privacy.  Aiding in the delivery or
return of the mail, or examining parts of it during the recovery of
your system's resources, clearly does not violate that intention.
It's a promise not to be knowingly malicious.  I didn't think there'd
be much debate about that.

You are correct that you didn't ask for this headache, that you
never told anyone they could send mail through your site, and that they
are not paying for the service.  I maintain, however, that you have
moral obligations beyond the sum total of those things you have entered
into contracts for, moral obligations to people you don't even know.
I'm sure you feel that way too, or haven't you ever given to charities?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

phil@amdcad (04/25/86)

In article <1451@ecsvax.UUCP> bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) writes:
>In article <168@dione.rice.EDU> salex@iapetus.rice.edu writes:
>
>>If you rely on any utility of mail being private, especially if it
>>goes through machines not controlled by sender or recipient, you are
>>fooling yourself.
>
>I don't rely on it being private.  I do rely on it being unmolested by
>other Systems Administrators.  Mail's utility is predicated on it being
>as reliable as the network will allow.

Sounds like you agree there. I agree too. Except that if reliability
is important to you, you should set up a direct link. Don't complain
about other people when you have the most direct means of solving the
problem. Especially when the other people are doing you a favor by
relaying your mail.

>> It has been my observation that
>>all mail administrators that I have dealt with have very few qualms
>>about reading others mail.  Perhaps, it shouldn't be that way, but
>>it's not going to change any more quickly than any of the other
>>problems which result from a system of decentralized control of the
>>network.
>
>I'm sorry that's the case.  *I* figure my users have some right to
>privacy.  For those SAs that go out of their way to read mail, I hope
>they read something about themselves.

I'm not sure but I think Scott meant that mail admins read mail going
through their machine. As far as I'm concerned, my machine is there
for my users and they have a right to as much privacy as can
reasonably be given. (if they leave a temporary file in /tmp and I
need to clean out /tmp, I'll read it before rm'ing it.)  But people
who send mail *through* my machine have no rights to privacy.

--
 Cats are alien beings sent here to sit on our cars.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

gam@amdahl (04/25/86)

On the one hand, you can use the -d flag of Peter Honeyman's
pathalias(1) to declare as DEAD any site which you do not
want your mail to go thru.  That way that site will only be used
when it is the only available choice.

On the other hand, I doubt that such exclusions from the network
would improve the security or privacy of electronic mail.  I suspect
there are many many mail peekers out there that we will never know
about.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

 ~ How can I tell you ~
 ~ That I love you? ~
 ~ ... I can't think of right words to say ~
--
[ This does not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

lauren@vortex (04/26/86)

I could comment at length on this topic from a variety of angles,
but due to time constraints I'll just make a simple statement
to those people thinking about encryption as a "solution" to the
"problem" of mail privacy:

The legal ramifications of allowing encrypted messages (I don't
mean "fake" encryption like rot13--I mean the real thing)
through your system are decidedly unclear.  If anyone tells
you that they understand all of the legal issues involved in
handling such traffic they simply don't know what they are talking about.

Courts have been bouncing back and forth regarding whether or not
third parties have some responsibility for materials passing through
their facilities.  The issues of common-carrier responsibilities,
who is and who is not a common-carrier, etc. are also complex to
say the least.  The argument that "the material was encrypted so he
didn't know he was being used for something illicit" has not proven
to be a convincing one to various courts.

Given the fluidity of this situation, and impending new laws which
may complicate the situation even further, it would seem best
to avoid, whenever possible, putting third parties in the position
of possible problems.  I recommend against passing encrypted materials
through intermediate sites unless you have the explicit (written!)
permission from those sites to do so.

----

But of course, there's a far simpler solution.  If you have something
really private to say to someone else, either don't send it via e-mail
or set up a direct link to that person's site.

--Lauren--

dricej@drilex (04/26/86)

This whole discussion about reading other peoples' mail has been raging because
some important distinctions between rights and courtesies are being missed.

1. The owner of a computer has the right to control the uses to which that
computer is put.  This means that the owner, or the owner's agent (the system
administrator) has the right to look through any file on the system.  Some
owners may enter into contracts which relinquish this right, promising
file security for the user.  This does not apply to inter-system mail, though,
because:

2. Unix mail is transmitted as a matter of courtesy, not a matter of contract.
Although we all transmit it, it is in a spirit of cooperation, not because we
were paid to do so.  Therefore, there is no formal obligation of privacy
for intersystem mail.

3. Nonetheless, we transmit mail out of courtesy.  Another aspect of courtesy
is the expectation of reasonably privacy for that mail transmission.  For
a system administrator to look through mail routinely, in search of
competitive secrets for example, is very discourteous.  But he or she still
has the right to do it (as delegated by the owner of the computer).
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard,linus}!axiom!drilex!dricej

george@gvax (04/27/86)

In article <11447@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1416@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>>
>>You have a moral responsibility, Phil.  The very concept of mail
>>assumes privacy between sender and receiver.  You know that.
>
>Nonsense. UUCP mail has always been unreliable and insecure.  Don't go
>comparing UUCP mail with USmail.  If you don't like the (free) service
>my site provides, don't use it. I didn't ask you to send mail through
>my site. I didn't set it up as a relay site. Relaying happens by default
>and it would be an effort to turn it off.
>
>>I'm glad you "don't make a practice" of reading mail.  You should,
>>as a generic upstanding human being, promise that you won't.
>
>You missed my point that as a system admin one can not promise not to.
>But then, you probably don't know anything about running a system
>anyway.

One question: What is "amd"? Do they sell any products or services? If so,
I would like to urge everyone to boycott this company and any other which
employs a system administrator with this type of attitude. It gives the rest
of us a bad name.

George Boyce, george@gvax.cs.cornell.edu

jad@hpcnoe.UUCP (04/29/86)

	Reading other people's mail is tacky.  Sure you "can" do it; I
	"can" shoot your [insert pet name here], too.  I understand the
	need to clean up after uucp; until you get a better system,
	there's not much choice.  But that's different from saying "if
	you send your mail through my machine I will read it if I feel
	like it", which I find totally irresponsible and appalling.
	Besides being a massive waste of time.

	Personally, it makes no difference to me as I know enough not to
	trust anything I care a whit about to electronic mail (encrypted
	or not).  It's the poor ignorants who lose, yet again ...

			      --      jad      --
				 John A Dilley
Phone:				 (303)229-2787
Email:		          {hpfcla,hplabs} !hpcnoe!jad
(ARPA):			     hpcnoe!jad@hplabs.ARPA

bch@ecsvax (04/29/86)

In article <128@drilex.UUCP> dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) writes:

>Unix mail is transmitted as a matter of courtesy, not a matter of contract.
>Although we all transmit it, it is in a spirit of cooperation, not because we
>were paid to do so.  Therefore, there is no formal obligation of privacy
>for intersystem mail.

I disagree.  It is my opinion that when we agree to forward others'
mail, we are doing so because others have agreed to forward *our*
mail.  It is an agreement implicit in becoming a member of usenet.
Perhaps it should be explicit -- systems administrators of sites on
usenet should have to have a signed agreement on file before they are
permitted to forward mail onto the net.  Money is not the only
recompense in a contractual agreement.

If I thought that the System Adminstrator at a neighboring site was
deliberately interfering with mail being forwarded through his or her
system, I would not only route around the site but would probably take
steps to terminate the link.  The agreement must work both ways.
Part of the guarantees of service I attempt to make to our own users
*includes* guarantees to users at other sites temporarily using our
facilities.
--

  	  Byron Howes
usenet/bitnet address:  bch@ecsvax

Any opionions expressed herein are purely my own, and do not represent
the views of the General Administration of the University of North
Carolina or those of the North Carolina Educational Computing Service.

phil@amdcad (04/29/86)

In article <339@gvax.cs.cornell.edu> george@gvax.UUCP (George R. Boyce) writes:
>One question: What is "amd"? Do they sell any products or services? If so,
>I would like to urge everyone to boycott this company and any other which
>employs a system administrator with this type of attitude. It gives the rest
>of us a bad name.

I am not an official spokesman for the company but I expect that if
you asked them what policy on reading mail going through this machine
was, they would say "We don't want people sending mail through this
machine.  Let them pay for their own phone calls."
--

gam@amdahl (04/29/86)

In article <919@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

> Given the fluidity of this situation, and impending new laws which
> may complicate the situation even further, it would seem best
> to avoid, whenever possible, putting third parties in the position
> of possible problems.  I recommend against passing encrypted materials
> through intermediate sites unless you have the explicit (written!)
> permission from those sites to do so.

Laws that inhibit the free flow of information in a securely encrypted
form are a threat to the Freedom of Speech and the implied freedom of
communication.

By all means, use encrypted mail whenever possible, as it is your only
guarentee of privacy in transit.

A judge who would claim that a courier holds responsability for what
the message says is nothing more than a naive re-statement of the old
stories about killing the bearer of bad news ....

> But of course, there's a far simpler solution.  If you have something
> really private to say to someone else, either don't send it via e-mail
> or set up a direct link to that person's site.
>
> --Lauren--

Here we both strongly agree.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
--
[ This does not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

bch@ecsvax (04/30/86)

In article <11447@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>If you don't like the (free) service
>my site provides, don't use it. I didn't ask you to send mail through
>my site. I didn't set it up as a relay site. Relaying happens by default
>and it would be an effort to turn it off.

(1) The service isn't free.  I'm obligated to forward on mail from your
users just as you are from mine.  It's real simple.  It's also simple
to set up a filter to drop mail sent from amdcad on the floor if that's
what you have in mind.

(2) I just took a look at my uucp maps.  There is a very extensively
commented entry for amdcad written by Phil.  To me, if Phil advertises
his machine and its connectivity to the net, he is volunteering it
as a relay site.  He could as easily portray himself as a leaf node
and thus not have to deal with relaying mail.  It is more than just
the software that causes relaying...you have to announce you are a node
which will relay.
--

  	  Byron Howes
usenet/bitnet address:  bch@ecsvax

Any opionions expressed herein are purely my own, and do not represent
the views of the General Administration of the University of North
Carolina or those of the North Carolina Educational Computing Service.

good@pixar ("Pravda nyet isvetsia, Isvetsia nyet pravda") (04/30/86)

	Assuming that uucp mail is private seems extremely naive to me.  Not
that I, as a sysadmin, go deliberately poking through mail.  I don't think
that administrators *should* read mail unless they have to (for any of the
reasons already mentioned in this debate).  But I never send anything
confidential via uucp, and I hope nobody else does.  It's got to be just
asking for trouble.

	Someone said that e-mail should be treated like US Mail.  In the case
of uucp I think the more correct analogy is CB radio, as mentioned by another
author.  Uucp uses a "free", decidedly anarchistic network to disseminate the
mail.  There is no mechanism to guarantee privacy nor delivery.  In contrast,
for example, Pixar rents an electronic "mail box" from MCI Mail.  We pay for
the service, and use MCI's organized network to send and receive e-mail and
telexes, etc.  In that case I feel we can reasonably expect and insist on
privacy in our communications.

	The lesson for usenet users should be that confidential material should
not be sent via uucp -- unless you are hoping it will leak.  But that is yet
another discussion...

--
		--Craig
		...{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!good

Unknown@decwrl (04/30/86)

This message is empty.

mouse@mcgill-vi (04/30/86)

In article <3068@amdahl.UUCP>, gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) writes:
> On the one hand, you can use the -d flag of Peter Honeyman's pathalias(1)
> to declare as DEAD any site which you do not want your mail to go thru.
> That way that site will only be used when it is the only available choice.

     Exactly what I did with lll-crg (bandy's  machine).  Oooh, maybe  I
shouldn't have said that,  I can  see the bandygrams now....but he seems
to  be saying to the world "I'm  not interested enough in  carrying your
mail to be ethical about it", so, well, he's  not carrying ours.  On the
other  hand,  seems to me that  being a member of USEnet is a privilege,
not a right.  Hmmmm....

     Or, I suppose you could diddle the input files to declare all links
to a given machine (say, lll-crg) as  cost -1000000,  then every  letter
will get routed through lll-crg  (I would suppose, I haven't tried it!).
If many sites did this, I doubt bandy would be  ABLE to read every piece
of mail passing through his machine.  For that matter, would his MACHINE
be able to handle it??

     (:-), for those lacking in humor.
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse@uw-beaver.arpa

"Come with me a few minutes, mortal, and we shall talk."

jer@peora (05/01/86)

> Courts have been bouncing back and forth regarding whether or not
> third parties have some responsibility for materials passing through
> their facilities.  The issues of common-carrier responsibilities,
> who is and who is not a common-carrier, etc. are also complex to
> say the least.  The argument that "the material was encrypted so he
> didn't know he was being used for something illicit" has not proven
> to be a convincing one to various courts.

Well, now, Lauren, I must admit that this is a bit of a problem... because
if it *is* advisable not to pass encrypted mail by this argument, it is
also essentially mandatory that you read every piece of mail that passes
through your site!  In fact, the legal ramifications are so severe that
it would seem inadvisable to let *anyone* send mail through your site...
because if anybody ever sends anything illicit through your site, and you
could be held liable because they did, then you're taking on a terrible
responsibility in letting anyone use your site to transport mail.

Or could that be ... um ... no, surely you didn't mean that... :-)
--
E. Roskos

gds@sri-spam (05/01/86)

I think we've all gotten off the point a bit here.  This all started
because Andy Beals was reading a piece of mail not addressed to him, but
what's more he intercepted it and returned it, saying "it wasn't worth
*his* (emphasis mine) time to send it".

I can appreciate the difficulties of UUCP mail administration (after
all, I had to do it myself not too long ago) and sometimes you have to
read the mail that gets left in your queues, but you should only do this
in the course of administration.  What Andy was doing, in my opinion,
was outside the bounds of administration, and more along the lines of
censorship.  Unless he is authorized by Lawrence Livermore Labs to
intercept mail at his site and return it if he (personally) feels it is
not worth his time to send, he shouldn't be intercepting it.

This is the kind of thing I was warning about in net.news.*, when people
would start thinking because they were backbone administrators they
could do whatever they felt like because otherwise they would eliminate
certain newsgroups.  I hope the rest of the net is satisfied with these
forms of net.censorship, I'm sure not.

--gregbo

mrl@oddjob.UUCP (05/01/86)

In article <2744@pixar.pixar> good@pixar.UUCP ("Pravda nyet isvetsia, Isvetsia nyet pravda") writes:

>	Assuming that uucp mail is private seems extremely naive to me.  Not
>that I, as a sysadmin, go deliberately poking through mail.  I don't think
>that administrators *should* read mail unless they have to (for any of the
>reasons already mentioned in this debate).  But I never send anything
>confidential via uucp, and I hope nobody else does.  It's got to be just
>asking for trouble.

I just came across this fortune which seems unusually appropriate
for this discussion, and exhibits a useful analogy:

    Mencken and Nathan's Second Law of The Average American:
	    All the postmasters in small towns read all the postcards.
--
*
  *       *

phil@amdcad (05/02/86)

In article <1500@ecsvax.UUCP> bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) writes:
>(2) I just took a look at my uucp maps.  There is a very extensively
>commented entry for amdcad written by Phil.  To me, if Phil advertises
>his machine and its connectivity to the net, he is volunteering it
>as a relay site.  He could as easily portray himself as a leaf node
>and thus not have to deal with relaying mail.  It is more than just
>the software that causes relaying...you have to announce you are a node
>which will relay.

I did that to be a good neighbor. However, I can not guarantee privacy
of mail sent through my site. If my map entry somehow implys that I
do, I'll have to withdraw it.

I don't understand your reaction. It's not as though I or anyone at
this site makes a practice of spying on others' mail. But stuff gets
stuck and has to be cleaned out. I'm not going to let my disk fill
up. And I'm not going to blindly delete data. So there is a chance
your mail will get read. I don't think it's a great thing but it
seems to be the best alternative.

--
 If a reactor melts down in Russia will they call it the America syndrome?

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/02/86)

Given some of the laws that are pending, it may well be the case that
ultimately, the letter of the law would require that every piece of mail
passing through an intermediate site be screened before being passed
on.  There is all sorts of legislation pending involving child pornography
and other illicit activities that doesn't seem to draw any distinction
between active and "passive" participation in the passing on of material.

Similar examples can be drawn from the world of BBS's.
There have been several BBS cases where operators
were prosecuted when "patterns of abuse" indicated that they
encouraged the use of their facilities for illicit purposes.  The board
operators claimed they didn't know what sorts of messages were being
sent.  In one case at least, this argument was rejected by the court.
Now, obviously not all cases involving BBS operators
have gone in that direction, but the point I'm making is that there
is considerable fluidity in the laws in this area, and it looks, at this
time, as if pending legislation may put increasing responsibility
on intermediaries in message transmission.

I don't propose at this point to discuss the pros and cons of
such responsibility.  Nor would I want to hazard a guess about what
these various pieces of legislation will look like if and when they
become law.  One can only hope that such laws will be "reasonable"
and take into account the technical realities of the situation.

But in the meantime, while everything is in such a state of flux,
it seems only prudent to avoid putting other people into a possibly
risky situation.  Since at least some courts view message encryption
with a "if they have to hide what they're saying they must be trying
to do something wrong" attitude, avoiding the use of encryption
except with the permission of the third parties would seem the best course,
for the time being, anyway.

I certainly hope the law doesn't put people into the position of being
legally required to read all mail that they handle.  But I can imagine
a requirement that certain sorts of mail be blocked once you are made
aware of the fact that your site is passing illicit traffic.  If you're
faced with large volumes of encrypted mail, you may not be able to
implement such controls, which could well anger the courts.

But this is all academic, since nobody knows which way the courts will
ultimately rule on any of this.  That's the whole point--nobody knows!
If someone wants to send a message that contains material so personal
or so sensitive that reading by an intermediate party would be
a disaster, then setting up a direct connection would seem the most
appropriate course of action by far.

As for the general topic of reading other people's mail (legal issues
aside for now)... My own feeling is that mail shouldn't normally
be read unless some abnormality makes it appropriate.  Such abnormalities
may include failed/misaddressed mail and "bizarre" usage patterns.
By "bizarre" I mean extremely high volume.  I once saw about 500 messages
in a queue, all of almost identical length (about 1000 bytes) to sites
scattered all over the place.  Given that kind of volume, I wanted
to know what the hell was going on.  I discovered it was somebody
just playing loop-d-loop with the network, trying to pass the same
message which essentially said "test" back and forth through every site
he could find--a total waste of the money of many sites.  I sent the person
a message telling him he shouldn't do this, and he said, "Gee, thanks!
I didn't know it was costing anybody money!  I was just playing."  Wonderful.

Luckily for all of us, these sorts of situations don't come up very often,
so normally we can leave things pretty much alone.  I don't think it's
polite or appropriate for a system admin to randomly read mail just for
"fun" when there's no administrative reason to do so and I would never suggest
or condone such actions.

--Lauren--

philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) (05/05/86)

During this debate, some reference has been made to the possibility
of encrypting mail. There is only one potential drawback here - some
sites seem to have developed a nasty habit of stripping the eighth bit
of any data passing through them. I discovered this by accident when
someone recently sent me some files which had been 'pack'ed to reduce
transmission costs. They were (of course) useless with the eighth bit
stripped off ...

This doesn't seem like reasonable behaviour to me. I suppose that the
moral is to convert your encrypted mail to a hex representation before
sending it ...

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (05/06/86)

>From: lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein)
>Given some of the laws that are pending, it may well be the case that
>ultimately, the letter of the law would require that every piece of mail
>passing through an intermediate site be screened before being passed
>on.  There is all sorts of legislation pending involving child pornography
>and other illicit activities that doesn't seem to draw any distinction
>between active and "passive" participation in the passing on of material.

The law is strange, but I doubt very highly it is (or will be) this
strange. What I could imagine is requiring a site which sends mail
through you to sign a contract limiting liability, declaring responsibility
and specifying what is and is not agreed to be sent.

I mean, c'mon, this is a little apocalyptic isn't it? Yes, I saw the
various disclaimers...I dunno, it is a crazy world tho isn't it.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

elw@netexa.UUCP (E. L. Wiles) (05/06/86)

> >                 The argument that "the material was encrypted so he
> > didn't know he was being used for something illicit" has not proven
> > to be a convincing one to various courts.
>
>                     In fact, the legal ramifications are so severe that
> it would seem inadvisable to let *anyone* send mail through your site...
> because if anybody ever sends anything illicit through your site, and you
> could be held liable because they did, then you're taking on a terrible
> responsibility in letting anyone use your site to transport mail.
>
> Or could that be ... um ... no, surely you didn't mean that... :-)
> --
> E. Roskos

I'd like to see someone try to sue the U.S. Post Office for one of the
multitude of explosive devices sent through their service.  It should
be interesting to see the sparks fly!  :-)
--
				E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress Comm. Inc.
				Vienna, Virginia.

"Opinions?....Opinions?....WHAT Opinions?!?"

pete@uqcspe.OZ (Peter McMahon) (05/06/86)

Reading other peoples' mail is just one activity of the
abuser of (perhaps naive) trust.  I have a heard of a certain site
(no names, hey Cheryl?) where the SA installed a device driver that
allowed that person to peruse /dev/null!!

So keep safe. Cat ALL unwanted output to your terminal.
--

Peter McMahon

ACSnet:	pete@uqcspe.oz		ARPA:	pete%uqcspe.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	pete@uqcspe.oz		UUCP:	..!seismo!munnari!uqcspe.oz!pete
JANET:	uqcspe.oz!pete@ukc	Phone:  (07) 377 4276

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/08/86)

In article <951@bute.tcom.stc.co.uk> andrew@stc.UUCP (Andrew Macpherson) writes:

> Hmm yes I think this picture-postcard is a good analogy, since there is
> the text right alongside the address... comments?

I agree with this analogy for the most part.  On the one hand, it is
ridiculous to expect privacy on a postcard.  On the other hand, it is
rarely necessary to read any more than the address.

But the kinda stuff I'm hearing around here sounds like some people
sit back and read the mail like some people watch soap operas!

I think the obvious solution is to use crypt(1) and uuencode/
uudecode(1).  (Be sure that you transmit the key for the encryption
over a *secure* medium)

crypt(1) is now once again permitted to be exported to other countries.
I don't know if a public domain uuencode(1) exists but it would be
easy to write.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

"Will the *real* Dr. Fedderman please report to neurosurgery *immediately*?!"
--
[ This does not represent Amdahl Corporation ]

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (05/08/86)

> I have a heard of a certain site. . .where the SA installed a device driver
> that allowed that person to peruse /dev/null!!
>
> So keep safe. Cat ALL unwanted output to your terminal.

Won't work.  If the SA is in a position to *divert* stuff directed to /dev/null,
they're in a position to *copy* stuff directed to /dev/tty.

So keep safe.  Share computers only with people you can trust.
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado		ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX, Elsie & Ado are Digital, Borden & Shakespeare trademarks.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (05/12/86)

In article <5662@sri-spam> gds@sri-spam writes:
>I think we've all gotten off the point a bit here.  This all started
>because Andy Beals was reading a piece of mail not addressed to him, but
>what's more he intercepted it and returned it, saying "it wasn't worth
>*his* (emphasis mine) time to send it".
>
>I can appreciate the difficulties of UUCP mail administration (after
>all, I had to do it myself not too long ago) and sometimes you have to
>read the mail that gets left in your queues, but you should only do this
>in the course of administration.  What Andy was doing, in my opinion,
>was outside the bounds of administration, and more along the lines of
>censorship.

You've lumped everything Andy into the category of censorship.  Under
some circumstances I don't consider reading a piece of mail not
addressed to me as censorship. My neighbors go down all the time.  My
UUCP queues clog up. And I have to clean it up. Under those
circumstances I look at whatever I have to. I consider this part
of UUCP mail administration.

As for bouncing junk mail back, that could be called censorship.
However, I think of censorship as something like the Federal
government telling a newspaper it can't run an article critical of
Ronnie. What we have here is a newspaper refusing to run a 50 page
letter to the editor. The author is free to start his own newspaper
and probably should. The author does not have any right to complain
about "freedom of the press". It's not his press.

>Unless he is authorized by Lawrence Livermore Labs to
>intercept mail at his site and return it if he (personally) feels it is
>not worth his time to send, he shouldn't be intercepting it.

I'm sure that if you asked the Department of Energy they would say LLL
should not pass *any* mail for others. You know, of course, the policy
of the ARPAnet has always been that messages must be in support of
government work. DOE probably has the same policy as DOD about misuse
of government resources. (I claim DOE is a branch of DOD but that
belongs in net.politics.)

>This is the kind of thing I was warning about in net.news.*, when people
>would start thinking because they were backbone administrators they
>could do whatever they felt like because otherwise they would eliminate
>certain newsgroups.  I hope the rest of the net is satisfied with these
>forms of net.censorship, I'm sure not.

So start your own backbone.
--

broman@noscvax.UUCP (05/13/86)

In article <919@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> But of course, there's a far simpler solution.  If you have something
> really private to say to someone else, either don't send it via e-mail
> or set up a direct link to that person's site.

The direct link gives only a slight increase in privacy, because leaks can
happen either in your system or in the addressee's, unless you trust ALL system
administrators involved. Also, phone communications can be intercepted
when they get transmitted by microwave through the atmosphere. Monitoring the
phone company's transmissions is not all that hard. You need encryption for
real privacy.

Vincent Broman, code 632,  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 225 2365     Starship: 32d 42m 22s N/ 117d 14m 13s W
Arpa: broman@bugs.nosc.mil Uucp: {floyd,moss,bang,gould9,sdcsvax}!noscvax!broman

When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

sakw@cvaxa.UUCP (Sak Wathanasin) (05/15/86)

Granted that as uucp administrator, you have to unblock the queues by hand,
I think that over 95% of the time you don't have to read other people's mail
to do this. I can get enough info most of the time by using "head" to just
look at the mail headers. A lot of these problems would go away if uucp could
generate a correct return path for stuff it can't deliver instead of just
sending it to "uucp" at the last site.

I'm actually *grateful* to other SA's for forwarding misdirected mail that
was intended for me even if it means that they have had to read it to find
out where to send it - and I'd feel the same way about real (paper) mail.
--
Sak Wathanasin, U of Sussex, Cognitive Studies, Falmer, Sussex BN1 9QN, UK
uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!sakw

davidw@sjfc.UUCP (David White) (05/16/86)

	EXPERIMENTAL PHILOSOPHY COURSE

	The course described below is a privately sponsored experiment
in education and is not connected with any college or university.  Classes
will be organized throughout 1986 (at least), and a serious effort will be
made to place all who apply.  The brief application form will not ask about
your educational background; all are welcome.  The only real requirement
is a seriousness of purpose.  The course will also be lots of fun.

	for applications:  EX.C.PHL
			   35 LUELLA ST
			   ROCH  NY  14609

	or		   716-482-2616

	or     seismo!rlgvax!cci632!sjfc!davidw

	EX.C.PHL  Course description and materials are available on request.
                  No charges of any kind.  No credit of any kind.
                  Biographical information on the instructor available on
                  request.

richl@tektools.UUCP (Rick Lindsley) (05/18/86)

One should never count on full 8 bit transmission for mail. If any sites
use SMTP to transfer their mail it will fail. Mail is not designed for
binary transfer; it is designed for textual transfer. The fact that uucp
*may* be used to transfer mail may lull you into thinking you can count on
full 8 bit transmission, but you can't.

Rick Lindsley
Postmaster@tektronix