[net.mail] Real Networks

kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) (05/09/86)

In article <6657@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Clearly, then, a Real Network has to have connections live all the time so
> that it knows when machines go down.

This isn't necessary or sufficient.  The only way that (I am aware
of) to determine when a machine goes down is for it to tell you
that it is going down.  For this, decicated connections will do,
as will dial up connections.

It the host goes down without telling you in advance, then all you
can ever determine is that you can't communicate with it when you
want to, you might surmise that its down, but there's no way you
can know.  Now, with either dedicated or dial up links, you can
make this assumption whenever its appropriate - on a dedicated
link it might be appropriate after a few seconds or minutes.  On
a dial up link, it might be appropriate after a few hours or days.

In either case, a Real Network can then reroute traffic after it
has made this determination.

Robert Elz	kre%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov	seismo!munnari!kre

> If the host goes down without telling you in advance, then all you
> can ever determine is that you can't communicate with it when you
> want to... On a dial up link, [deciding he's down] might be appropriate
> after a few hours or days.
>
> In either case, a Real Network can then reroute traffic after it
> has made this determination.

Unfortunately, such rerouting attempts are of little use (and may even
be counterproductive) if the he's-down decision process takes a length
of time comparable to the probable downtime.  Which can easily be the
case, given heavily-used phone lines and calling-time restrictions.
By the time you are sure he is down, he's probably up again.  Possibly
things are better in Australia, but hereabouts it is impossibly hard
to automatically keep down/up data current enough to be very useful for
rerouting.  Oh sure, if he's down for a month that's different... but
it's also very infrequent, to the point where it can be handled manually.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (05/14/86)

henry points out difficulties in rerouting when the time to decide a
neighbor is down is of the same order as the neighbor's downtime.  to
amplify, it is very easy to concoct scenarios in which cycles are
created.  and if steps are taken to avoid them, traffic might get
blocked permanently.

as henry points out, the downtime decision has to have a long period;
i would guess a day or so.  but then, honey danber returns queued mail
after a day or so, giving the sender the option to resend along a
different path.

	peter

zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (05/16/86)

In article <6657@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <?> ? writes:
>> ... Real Networks do this [routing] automatically and dynamically...

>Clearly, then, a Real Network has to have connections live all the time so
>that it knows when machines go down.  Do let us know when you are willing
>to finance such a network for us.  Meanwhile, we will continue to use our
>unReal but still exceedingly cost-effective network.  We will also continue
>to have a low opinion of people who think that there is something "unreal"
>about one of the largest networks in the world.

Ahem...

In the finest tradition of "layered systems" UUCP is built ON TOP OF
a "REAL SYSTEM".  I am speaking of the international telephone system.
So when I send mail from UMD2 I open an SMTP connection; when you send mail
you open a TELCO connection.  We both rely upon the underlying transport
layer to do the dirty work.  Yes, Telco is live all the time.  Yes, users
VERY seldom know when a piece of Telco is down.  It's a pretty fine
network, all in all, and sometimes I wonder why we bother to reinvent the
wheel.

The only reason UUCP need use multiple systems is to try to take advantage
of things like "unlimited local calling".  If it were not for these quite
artificial constraints (i.e. if telco charged for straight "mile-seconds")
it would be just as economcal to call the final site as to chain through
intermediate sites.  This is of course ignoring the site-phone# database
problem...

I personally have a very low opinion of people who thing bigger is better.
If you dislike those of us in the "lower 48" claiming we are better because
we are bigger, you might want to rethink your statement...

--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben@umd2.umd.edu

avolio@decuac.UUCP (05/16/86)

In article <961@umd5.UUCP>, zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:
> In the finest tradition of "layered systems" UUCP is built ON TOP OF
> a "REAL SYSTEM".  I am speaking of the international telephone system.

Look.  I am sorry I used the term Real Network, okay?  I didn't mean
to besmirch UUCP, Ma Bell (wherever she is...), or anyone or
anything.  I love UUCP.  It is wonderful to get a call from someone
who wants a net connection (see I even call it a net!) and to have it
up and running in 10 minutes.  No kidding, I think it is tops. (As
opposed to TOP, which is something different.)

The distinction was drawn wrt how routing is done or figured out.
Yes, the phone call from here to there is routed automatically with no
noticable loss of signal and it is done completely transparently to
the user.  But, I was referring to the routing that is done on top of
the phone lines.  One has to know the route from one machine to
another or at least to a "smarter" UUCP host.  Then, in path
a!b!c!d!user if host c is down, there is nothing automatic to retoute
the mail message via another route.  That is the short coming that was
trying to bring out ( ... at least I think it was ... it's been a few
weeks).

--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *

> >... We will also continue
> >to have a low opinion of people who think that there is something "unreal"
> >about one of the largest networks in the world.
>
> I personally have a very low opinion of people who think bigger is better.

Just as well that I don't think that, then.  Please read my words more
carefully.  If there is an elephant on your doorstep, it is foolish to
ignore it, even if you happen to feel that it is ugly.  Some of us get
very tired of if-it's-not-like-the-Arpanet-then-it's-beneath-our-notice.