[net.mail] Sendmail Woes

In article <87@bgsuvax.UUCP> schaefer@bgsuvax.UUCP (Stephen Schaefer) writes:
>I'm trying to implement RFC822 within my sendmail.cf file and have run
>into two or three nasties.
>The least severe problem (only because we don't see it exercised):
>RC822 says
>address		= mailbox
>		/ group
>group		= phrase ":" [#mailbox] ";"
>However, when Sendmail "cracks" a "To:" line of the form
>groupname:user1@place1,user2@place1,user3@place2;
>it hands it to the rewriting rules as three different addresses
>groupname:user1@place1
>user2@place1
>user3@place2;
>only one of which is actually legitimate.  How do people deal with
>this?  Should it be dealt with *before* Sendmail sees it?  I will be
>happy enough to hear that it is universally ignored.

The only way this has worked for us is by mistake:  when used
in the form:
	groupname:user1@place1,user2@place1,user3@place2;@here
then
	groupname:user1@place1
and
	user3@place2;@here
just happened to translate back to themselves.  Applying some
recent updates to sendmail.cf destroyed this.  I'd be very
happy to see any real fixes to this.  I'm afraid that what
should be done is tell sendmail about list syntax.

Eric??
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)