[net.mail] .signature file

In article <241@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
>Can somebody help me out...I remember reading in the Usenet documentation
>that one can make a .signature file that would be used to append a standard
>signature to anything sent over Usenet.  Neat, but apparantly I'm omitting
>something or have the wrong name, and I can no longer find the info in the
>Usenet documentation.  Can anybody shed some light to help out a poor
>bewildered soul?
>Tad Marko

For most mail "user agents" (interface, or user programs), you
have to explicitly include your "~/.signature".  These include
mail, Mail, mailx, mh, and msg, from what I can see.  In fact,
the only mail program that appears to pick up on ~/.signature
is the one included with the news package.

For this reason (manually picking up), I've linked ~/.signature
to ~/.sig.  I left the ~/.signature link, so it would in fact be
included in news, as:
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/04/86)

In article <454@hadron.UUCP>, jsdy@hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
> In article <241@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
> >Can somebody help me out...I remember reading in the Usenet documentation
> >that one can make a .signature file that would be used to append a standard
> >signature to anything sent over Usenet.  ...

> For most mail "user agents" (interface, or user programs), you ...

"... anything sent over Usenet ..." *only* includes NEWS.  There is no
Usenet apart from the news transmittion.  Because people treat Usenet
and the UUCP network interchangeably, misconceptions like the above
from Tad grow.  He naturally assumed statements made about news
software carried over to mail, etc.

There is no such thing as a Usenet Address.  There is no mail traffic
over Usenet.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *

In article <984@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>In article <454@hadron.UUCP>, jsdy@hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
>> In article <241@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
>> >Can somebody help me out...I remember reading in the Usenet documentation
>> >that one can make a .signature file that would be used to append a standard
>> >signature to anything sent over Usenet.  ...
>> For most mail "user agents" (interface, or user programs), you ...
>"... anything sent over Usenet ..." *only* includes NEWS.  There is no
>Usenet apart from the news transmittion.  Because people treat Usenet
>and the UUCP network interchangeably, misconceptions like the above
>from Tad grow.  He naturally assumed statements made about news
>software carried over to mail, etc.
>There is no such thing as a Usenet Address.  There is no mail traffic
>over Usenet.

Fred,

Thanks for your clarification of the issue (somewhat).  However,
give the kid a break.  He's obviously a new user and doesn't know
the language yet.  Most of the replies either were couched in
cant or addressed something totally other than what he was, under
his verbal faux pas, really asking.  As for me, well, shame on me
for writing a shorter article and not including the Unix Lexicon.
[;-)]