[net.mail] UUCP -> BITNET transfer?

lenny@helm.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (06/17/86)

To anyone out there who has some knowledge
on transfering mail to a BITNET site from
a UUCP site:

	Is there a shell script out there for the headers?
What nodes are mailers to the BITNET network? How
are the headers in the mail message set up?
What is the mailing protocol?  Please let me know!

      Write to me:
      ...philabs!sbcs!helm!lenny

		Thanx!!

othello@tesla.UUCP (Mystery) (06/24/86)

In a recent article lenny@helm.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) wrote:
>To anyone out there who has some knowledge
>on transfering mail to a BITNET site from
>a UUCP site:
>
>	Is there a shell script out there for the headers?
>What nodes are mailers to the BITNET network? How
>are the headers in the mail message set up?
>What is the mailing protocol?  Please let me know!
>
>      Write to me:
>      ...philabs!sbcs!helm!lenny
>
>		Thanx!!

	I am sorry to post this to the whole net, but our uucp mail
is a bit irregular these days.  I have written a shell script that allows
network news to be automatically forwarded to any "mail" site bboard.
It will probably solve your problem. If there is enough intrest, I will
post the script, if not I will mail it to you directly.

					-Michael Culbert

						othello@tesla.ee.cornell.edu

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (07/06/86)

In article <1003@tesla.UUCP> othello@tesla.ee.cornell.edu writes:
>In a recent article lenny@helm.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) wrote:
>>To anyone out there who has some knowledge
>>on transfering mail to a BITNET site from
>>a UUCP site:

How does one go about routing mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site?
Who's the gateway for this?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

Kentucky: The state that needs Japan to bring it into the 20th century.

"Goodnight M.A."

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (07/07/86)

In article <521@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>How does one go about routing mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site?
>Who's the gateway for this?

the official BITNET-UUCP gateway is PSUVAX1.

from UUCP:

use a class-3 mail route to the BITNET site ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!site.BITNET!user.

from BITNET:

send a Class M punch file to MAILER@PSUVAX1 which conforms to BSMTP standards.

there are other unofficial gateways but PSUVAX1 is prefered.

Herb Chong, IBM Research...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie%ibm.com@csnet-relay
ARPA:  herbie@ibm.com, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (07/07/86)

In article <521@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

> How does one go about routing mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site?
> Who's the gateway for this?

I think psuvax1 wants to be the gateway.  Last time I looked the Columbia
mailer on BitNet itself routed anything.UUCP to them.  In fact, I think
this is the routing stuff from BitNet:

<anything>.UUCP   psuvax1
<anything>.ARPA   wiscvm
<anything>.EDU }
<anything>.COM }
<anything>.MIL }  one of the berkeley machines
<anything>.GOV }
<anything>.ORG }

Not that I blame them if they changed their minds - trying to be any
kind of a mail gateway is a real headache...
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/09/86)

In article <1064@umd5.UUCP>, zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:
> In article <521@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>
> > How does one go about routing mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site?
> > Who's the gateway for this?
>
> I think psuvax1 wants to be the gateway.  Last time I looked the Columbia
> mailer on BitNet itself routed anything.UUCP to them.  In fact, I think
> this is the routing stuff from BitNet:
Psuvax1 has a few problems with it, although the link does indeed work.
For one, psuvax1 seems to be out more often then one would think it should
be.  Second, mail sent through it had a delay time of between 4 minutes
and a couple days.  These times may not be entirely accurate since I
do not have a direct uucp feed to psuvax1, its about 3 hops.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me"
Romulan: "Permit me the glory of the kill"

dave@helm.UUCP (07/12/86)

In article <521@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>In article <1003@tesla.UUCP> othello@tesla.ee.cornell.edu writes:
>>In a recent article lenny@helm.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) wrote:
>>>To anyone out there who has some knowledge
>>>on transfering mail to a BITNET site from
>>>a UUCP site:
>>>

>How does one go about routing mail from a BITNET site to a UUCP site?
>Who's the gateway for this?
>
>--
>Edward C. Bennett

To answer both of these questions, the best gateway I know of, and use
every other day to send mail to Clarkson <CLVM.. Home of the Twilight
Zone Relay Station for the initiated..>, is psuvax1, aka "The Center
of the Virtual Universe".  To send mail to BITNET from UUCP, simply
pick your favorite path to psuvax1!<BITNET node>.BITNET - example:
               ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!ACCOUNT@CLVM.BITNET
would send a mail or whatever file to 'ACCOUNT' on Clarkson's VM machine.

To go from BITNET to UUCP on a VM system is REALLY easy; to send mail to
UUCP you do this:    MAIL <user>@<node>.UUCP
Your mailer should automagically route the file to PSUVAX1 or another
gateway, and perform the path writing, etc. for you.  Try this to get a
list of command on PSUVAX1 from BITNET: SMSG RSCS CMD PSUVAX1 HELP
<Vaxenites, replace with your command, as for Un*xites>

Mail can be sent to the ARPANet the same way, just tack on .ARPA when going
to psuvax1..  I love smart mailers! :-)

-dg-

...!ihnp4!chinet!helm!dave
...!philabs!sbcs!helm!dave

"Just another BITNETter trying to get home.."

VM system.

henry@mit-trillian.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <533@helm.UUCP> dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) writes:
>To send mail to BITNET from UUCP, simply
>pick your favorite path to psuvax1!<BITNET node>.BITNET - example:
>               ...!ihnp4!psuvax1!ACCOUNT@CLVM.BITNET

For those of you whose mailers get "confused" by the combination of "!"
and "@" syntaxes, psuvax1 also accepts addresses of the following form:

...!allegra!psuvax1!MITVMA.BITNET!S19984

where you can replace MITVMA with any BITNET hostname and S19984 with
any valid userid on the BITNET host you're mailing to.

>To go from BITNET to UUCP on a VM system is REALLY easy; to send mail to
>UUCP you do this:    MAIL <user>@<node>.UUCP

Now wait a minute!  Not everybody runs MAILER (particularly when you
are talking about VAX/VMS and Unix BITNET sites which run non-RSCS
networking software), and not everybody at VM sites uses the same exec
to send mail.  People at those places which don't have MAILER should
create a file with appropriate "To:", "From:" and "Subject:" lines.  An
example follows:

To: henry@mit-athena.UUCP
From: S19984@MITVMA
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 86 18:16:20 EDT
Subject: this is a test
<this line should be blank>
Now type your message here.

This file should be punched (class M) to MAILER at PSUVAX1.  psuvax1
takes care of the rest of the details.

>Your mailer should automagically route the file to PSUVAX1 or another
>gateway, and perform the path writing, etc. for you.  .  .  .

Your mailer should only route the file to psuvax1.  At psuvax1, the
mailer runs the UUCP pathalias program and thus will expand the UUCP
path for you accordingly.

>Mail can be sent to the ARPANet the same way, just tack on .ARPA when going
>to psuvax1..  I love smart mailers! :-)

Wrong, wrong, wrong!  The Internet gateway is wiscvm.bitnet
(wiscvm.wisc.edu).  If your BITNET mailer doesn't support mail to
.ARPA, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL, and .ORG you will have to create your message
and imbed BSMTP commands in it.  You will then have to punch the
resulting file to SMTPUSER at WISCVM.  This isn't quite so easy as
sending mail through the UUCP gateway; you will probably want to write
an EXEC/shell script/whatever-you-need-to-write if you plan on doing
this often.

Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry