[net.mail] VNET connections

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (08/07/86)

Quoted from <1358@ncoast.UUCP> ["Re: Gateway to VNET wanted"], by simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast)...
+---------------
| I would also be interested in finding a gateway to VNET (the internal
| IBM network.)
+---------------

[Yes, I know I'm responding globally to a local article, but the original came
from off-system.  ++bsa]

From what I remember about postings of a few months ago, IBM axed the last few
VNET gateways a few months ago; VNET now is not connected to any other
network.

++Brandon
--
  ---------------- /--/	Brandon S. Allbery		UUCP: decvax!cwruecmp!
 /              / /|\/	Tridelta Industries, Inc.        ncoast!tdi2!brandon

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (08/09/86)

In article <1362@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP writes:
> Quoted from <1358@ncoast.UUCP> ["Re: Gateway to VNET wanted"], by simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast)...
> +---------------
> | I would also be interested in finding a gateway to VNET (the internal
> | IBM network.)
> +---------------
> [Yes, I know I'm responding globally to a local article, but the original came
> from off-system.  ++bsa]
> From what I remember about postings of a few months ago, IBM axed the last few
> VNET gateways a few months ago; VNET now is not connected to any other
> network.

They still have one that I know of.  Its connected to machine BITNIC.
I'm not disclosing anything secret because anyone with access to the
BITNET routing tables can find it.  Just think of VNET as akin to the
NSA.  Everyone knows its there, but finding anything about it, or
communicating to them is a royal pain in the rear.  Unless someone on
the inside opens the door to you.

> ++Brandon
> --
>   ---------------- /--/	Brandon S. Allbery		UUCP: decvax!cwruecmp!
>  /              / /|\/	Tridelta Industries, Inc.        ncoast!tdi2!brandon

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp(for a while) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken
           !psuvax1!cmcl2!ciap!andromeda!argus!ken
     ***   WARNING:  NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***
bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet or ken@orion.bitnet

Spock: "Captain, you are an excellent Starship Captain, but as
a taxi driver, you leave much to be desired."

Kirk: "What do you mean, 'if both survive' ?"
T'Pow: "This combat is to the death"

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (08/11/86)

A document called vnetdoc.listing is available for anonymous FTP
from zap.mit.edu.  In the event that your host doesn't know zap,
its internet number is 18.72.0.126.  This document describes how
the BITNET <-> VNET gateway works.

As the document is quite large (~100K), I suggest you wait until
off-hours to get a copy of this.

Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

josh@polaris.UUCP (Josh Knight) (08/15/86)

In article <1362@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>From what I remember about postings of a few months ago, IBM axed the last few
>VNET gateways a few months ago; VNET now is not connected to any other
>network.
There is a gateway to the IBM internal RSCS network from CSNet at IBM.COM,
direct querys to postmaster@IBM.COM.  An authorized user at any IBM
internal node can send and receive mail via this gateway.  The key word
here is authorized.  Most authorized users are in the Research Division
or ACIS (Academic Information Systems).  The gateway performs a "nick
name" to USERID at NODE mapping.  This means that the fact that my address
is both josh@ibm.comm and JOSH at YKTVMH is just convenient for me,
not a necessary correspondence between userid and gateway nick name.
--

	Josh Knight, IBM T.J. Watson Research
 josh@ibm.com, josh@yktvmh.bitnet,  ...!philabs!polaris!josh