[net.mail] Request for a USENET -> ARPANET gateway

dragon@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Brad J. Sagarin) (08/21/86)

I have just set-up an ARPANET mailing list on a non-usenet machine.  From this
machine, mail can be routed to the usenet without much difficulty, but some of
the members are having difficulty submitting articles from usenet only sites.

Any advice on the protocal necessary to route mail from a USENET site, through
a gateway to an ARPA site would be appreciated.  An example 'To:' header line
would be particularly helpful.

Thanks in advance.

						- Brad

P.S. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I'm rather
new to the USENET.  Perhaps such advice should always be available in
net.announce.newusers ...

Brad Sagarin					________	________
ARPA:dragon@xx.lcs.mit.edu		       /   /\   \      /   /\   \
USENET:...seismo!mit-eddie!dragon	      /   |  |   \    /   |  |   \
					     |    |{}|    |  |    |{}|    |
					      \   |  |   /    \   |  |   /
"Put it on a plate, son, you'll enjoy it more" \___\/___/      \___\/___/
				- Repo Man				Fnord

dragon@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Brad J. Sagarin) (08/25/86)

In article <2979@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> dragon@mit-eddie.UUCP (Brad J. Sagarin) writes:
>Any advice on the protocal necessary to route mail from a USENET site, through
>a gateway to an ARPA site would be appreciated.  An example 'To:' header line
>would be particularly helpful.

Thanks to the many people who e-mailed me answers.  After fairly extensive
testing, the most reliable gateways seem to be harvard & seismo.  To send mail
from a USENET site to the ARPANET, the following protocal is used:

	ARPA address: foo@bar.edu

	USENET address: ...harvard!bar.edu!foo

The .edu tells the gateway (harvard in this case) to route to the ARPANET.
Other ARPA standard suffixes will also work (.COM, .ARPA, etc.)

An alternate to the above is: ...seismo!bar.edu!foo.  I believe most gateways
use this syntax.

						- Brad