[net.mail] Congress is now debating the future of Usenet

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/18/86)

Many people probably missed lll-crg!well!tenney's offer to email a copy of
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.

Listen up!  This is no joke!

It appears to put legal liability on Usenet hosts which forward mail or
news for other hosts, and could alter or destroy the current structure
of Usenet (and/or Stargate).  It was written by people who DON'T UNDERSTAND
EMAIL and networking, and was lobbied for by the commercial email companies
(telemail, compuserve, etc).

Read <1632@well.UUCP> (vnews/readnews users type 'p').
Post discussion to net.mail (keep it out of the other groups).

This bill, S.2575, is now pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It
purports to extend constitutional protection against unreasonable
search to electronic storage.  However, it also does many other
things.  It loosens the existing wiretap authorization laws and also
allows wiretaps and "tracking devices" (bugs) to be placed on people
for up to 48 hours without a court order.  It also makes it illegal to
tune in cellular phone calls on your TV (channels 80-83).  And it makes
you legally responsible for the carriage of email unless you run a "public
access" system.

Note that the current version of the bill (introduced last week with
no debate) may be better or worse than the above; my copy has not arrived
yet.

To get an up to date, official copy of the bill, contact the staff
below.  If you object to it, tell them why, and tell them that you want
action on the bill delayed for further review (e.g. until your views
can be heard in written comments).  Tell your home state Senators and
Congressmen the same thing.

Congressional staff:
	Ann Harkin, John Podesta		202 224 4242
	Steve Metalitz, Ken Mannella		202 224 5617
	Judiciary Committee			202 224 5225
ACLU:
	Jerry Berman, technology/privacy	202 544 1681

Hit them now on it, before they get back to session and try to pass it!
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/19/86)

In article <1013@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
X> Many people probably missed lll-crg!well!tenney's offer to email a copy of
X> the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
X>
X> Listen up!  This is no joke!
X>
X> It appears to put legal liability on Usenet hosts which forward mail or
X> news for other hosts, and could alter or destroy the current structure
X> of Usenet (and/or Stargate).  It was written by people who DON'T UNDERSTAND
X> EMAIL and networking, and was lobbied for by the commercial email companies
X> (telemail, compuserve, etc).
X>
X> This bill, S.2575, is now pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It
X> purports to extend constitutional protection against unreasonable
X> search to electronic storage.  However, it also does many other
X> things.  It loosens the existing wiretap authorization laws and also
X> allows wiretaps and "tracking devices" (bugs) to be placed on people
X> for up to 48 hours without a court order.  It also makes it illegal to
X> tune in cellular phone calls on your TV (channels 80-83).  And it makes
X> you legally responsible for the carriage of email unless you run a "public
X> access" system.
X>
X> To get an up to date, official copy of the bill, .....
X> If you object to it, tell them why, and tell them that you want [a delay]

from what I read here, this should also be of interest to ARPA and CSNET sites,
as well as FIDONET, MAILNET, etc., etc. ... In other words, I suggest maximum
distribution of this message to anyone even remotely interested in computer
communications.  I'll take it on me to forward this message to all ARPA-sites,
as well as the the actual text of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
if I can find it online somewhere.

I have not read the Act (yet) and do not have an opinion on it as yet, so all
I am speaking up for at this point is:

		  LET's CALL THIS TO EVERYONE's ATTENTION
				*BEFORE* THE MATTER IS CAST INTO CONCRETE!!!

 ---Werner  "democracy is a matter of knowing when and where to cast your vote"

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/20/86)

I have put a copy of S.2575, the Electronic Communications "Privacy"
Act, on lll-crg.arpa in the file pub/s.2575, which is available for
public anonymous ftp.  It's 68K of ASCII text.  You can't get it this
way unless you're on the Arpanet.  Uucp folks send mail to
{lll-crg,ptsfa,hplabs,hoptoad}!well!tenney (Glenn Tenney) to get a
copy.

If there is a consensus in favor, I'm willing to post the bill to
net.mail or net.sources.  MAIL votes to me on this, at {ihnp4,
ptsfa,sun,utzoo,cbosgd}!hoptoad!gnu.  Be quick -- there's not much time.

If it's likely that you won't see the bill for a few days, I suggest
calling your Senator's staff now, asking for an official copy, and
telling the staff that you are "concerned" about the bill and want
action delayed on it for further study.  This may keep them from voting
on it as soon as they get back from recess, if enough people call.

Here's a note I added to the online copy of the bill:
[Note added by John Gilmore, hoptoad!gnu or jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa:
 This version is not under consideration any more; it was replaced
 on 12Aug by a text that nobody to my knowledge has seen, then
 the Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights subcommittee voted the new
 text up to the full Senate Judiciary Committee.  I am working to get
 a copy of the current draft and will let people know when I have one
 online.  I have spoken with Judiciary staffer Cindy Blackburn at
 202-224-8059 and she says there will be no public hearings where we
 could testify; we just have to write, call, telegram, and otherwise
 buttonhole the congressmen on this.  I suggest that you definitely call
 YOUR senators, in case it gets to the full Senate, and in addition,
 contact one or more (draw at random so we don't all get the same ones)
 of the Judiciary Committee senators:  Thurmond (chairman), Mathias,
 Laxalt, Hatch, Simpson, Broyhill, Grassley, Denton, Spector, McConnell,
 Biden, Kennedy, Byrd, Metzenbaum, Deconcini, Leahy (sponsor of the bill),
 Heflin, and Simon.  Please cover as many bases as you can -- time is
 short and our only chance is to let these guys know they're making
 a mistake, with our network on the line.  Letters and telegrams can be
 sent to:  Senator ______, US Senate, Washington, DC, 20510.  Contact
 directory assistance at 202 555 1212 for phone numbers.  Wouldn't it be
 nice if these guys were on the net?]
--

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (08/20/86)

In article <1013@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Many people probably missed lll-crg!well!tenney's offer to email a copy of
>the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
>
>It appears to put legal liability on Usenet hosts which forward mail or
>news for other hosts, and could alter or destroy the current structure
>of Usenet (and/or Stargate).
>
>This bill, S.2575 [...] makes you legally responsible for the carriage
>of email unless you run a "public access" system.

   I'd just like to interject my own observations here.  I strongly agree
with John's suggestion that you read the bill for yourself (many thanks
to him for making it available, at least to those of us with ARPA access).
It is in fact very easy to read.

   Unfortunately, I can't find anything in it to substantiate John's claims
above.  The first claim (that it "puts legal liability on Usenet hosts")
is very imprecise, which of course makes it hard to refute, but in my
reading of the text I could find nothing that seems to me likely to affect
the normal operation of any Usenet host.  The word "liability" does not
appear in the text.
   The second claim, that you are "legally responsible for the carriage of
email unless you run a 'public access' system" is also unclear -- is this
supposed to mean liable to the sender for its delivery, or liable for
things like libel and copyright violation, or liable to someone else for
something else altogether?  In any case I could find nothing to this effect
in the bill, and the words "public access" also do not appear.

   Let me make clear that I am not denying John's claims.  I am simply
stating that I could not see how they were justified by the text of the
bill.  It is not impossible that either I overlooked a major provision,
or that the claims above are implied rather than explicitly stated (for
example, if by amending the previous law Usenet hosts are to be subjected
to existing law from which they were previously exempt).
   Perhaps John or one of the other people who have posted about this act
can explain how the claims above are derived from the text of the act.
Quotes from the bill itself, or at least references to speicfic sections,
would help us resolve exactly what it is that the bill would do.

   Frankly, while I understand that time is somewhat short, I think it is
important that we should be clear on the exact implications of the bill
before we jump off into mass letter-writing and phone calls.  Both because
it is possible that the impact of the bill has been exaggerated, and because
a careful examination of the bill, if it upholds the claims that have been
made, would certainly encourage many more people to protest to their elected
representatives (myself, for one).

   -- David desJardins

dudek@endor.harvard.edu (Glen Dudek) (08/20/86)

I am not a lawyer, but after wading through the pertinent sections of
S.2575 (my thanks to Glenn Tenney and John Gilmore for making this bill
known and available), I am not overly concerned.  It seems to be
primarily concerned with protecting the privacy of electronic messages,
and establishing the guidelines under which such electronic messages
can be divulged or obtained by legal investigation.  This is the
primary section on privacy and disclosure:

	    "(3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this
    paragraph, a person or entity providing an electronic communication
    service to the public shall not willfully divulge the contents of any
    communication (other than one to such person or entity, or an agent
    thereof) while in transmission on that service to any person or entity
    other than an addressee or intended recipient of such communication or
    an agent of such addressee or intended recipient.

	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
    communication--

	    "(i) as otherwise authorized in section 2511(2)(a) or 2517 of
    this title;

	    "(ii) with the lawful consent of the originator or any
    addressee or intended recipient of such communication;

	    "(iii) to a person employed or authorized, or whose facilities
    are used, to forward such communication to its destination; or

	    "(iv) which were inadvertently obtained by the service
    provider and which appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if
    such divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.".

These do not seem to be unreasonable restrictions.  So, what is hiding
between the lines of the legal mumbo-jumbo that I am missing?  Please
reference the appropriate sections so I can try to make sense of it again.

	Glen Dudek
	postmaster@harvard.harvard.edu

In article <189@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> dudek@harvard.UUCP (Glen Dudek) writes:
>  This is the primary section on privacy and disclosure:
>
>	    "(3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this
>    paragraph, a person or entity providing an electronic communication
>    service to the public shall not willfully divulge the contents of any
>    communication (other than one to such person or entity, or an agent
>    thereof) while in transmission on that service to any person or entity
>    other than an addressee or intended recipient of such communication or
>    an agent of such addressee or intended recipient.
>
>	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
>    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
>    communication--
>
>	    "(ii) with the lawful consent of the originator or any
>    addressee or intended recipient of such communication;

   If *this* is what worries you, there is a very simple solution.
Have your mail feeds (the originators of mail through your machine)
sign consent forms stating their understanding that complete non-
disclosure of Usenet mail is not guaranteed.  Presto, "lawful consent"!

   I find it hard to believe that this provision is what is stirring
up all the fuss.

   -- David desJardins

dmm@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (David MacMillan) (08/21/86)

>the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
>
>This bill, S.2575, is now pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It

     net.ham-radio people have noted for some time that this bill
severely limits the freedom to receive radio-borne information in
a manner quite at odds with tradition.  "Orwellian" would be the
kindest term I can think of.

     Anyway, does anyone know if it would be possible to suggest to,
say, the "60 minutes" people that they (quickly) do a segment on
S.2575?  They would be the ones who could show the "average" (i.e.
non-computer, non-radio) person that his/her right to receive
information is being limited in a dangerous, precedent setting way.
It's not a long step to overt censorship.
    The L.A. Times, N.Y. Times, and San Jose Mercury-News might be
other good avenues, as might the NPR news programs.

                              David M. MacMillan, KB6MPN
 "If feather-dusters are      - UCSD [Lit] (ex-UCSC/Crown)
 made of feathers, what are   - Calma/GE [Info-Sci] (ex IBM)
 crop-dusters made of?"       - UCSD Soaring Club
           - LM, 'cellist     - SSA, USHGA, ARRL

   (work) (619) 587-3099
   (home) (619) 452-7761

devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) (08/22/86)

> This Bill, S.2757, the "Electronic Communications Privacy Act",
> appears to put legal liability on Usenet hosts which forward mail or
> news for other hosts, and could alter or destroy the current structure
> of Usenet (and/or Stargate).  It was written by people who DON'T UNDERSTAND
> EMAIL and networking, and was lobbied for by the commercial email companies

  There is still time for getting your message to the senators.  The
hearing for Rehquist's nomination at Chief Justice has delayed the
full Judiciary committee hearing on the subcommittee report until
mid-September (whenever the congressional recess is over).  It is
expected to be passed by Judiciary but probably won't clear the full
Senate, conference committee and get the President's signature this
year because of time constraints.

  However, stranger things have happened, so don't delay!  Note that
this bill will be one of the first for action when the Senate reconvenes.

Bob Devine
[this information came from the Aug. 18th edition of MISweek]

bogstad@brl-smoke.ARPA (William Bogstad ) (08/22/86)

[Note: All of my comments are based on S.2575 dated June 19 (legislative
day 16), 1986.  I do not yet have the newest version of the bill.  My
statements are based on my understanding of the bill.  I do not have any
legal training and would welcome corrections (if any are needed) from
those with more accurate information.]

	Well, first some general information.  If you have gotten a copy
of bill S.2575 you may want to compare it to the previous law.  This can
be found in the U.S. Code Title 18.  Most large public libraries
probably have a bound copy of the entire U.S. Code.  (about 20?
volumes)  The last complete edition I know of was 1982.  The last
supplement (III) is from Jan. 20, 1986.  I had to copy a total of 12
pages to get the whole thing.  It dealt with "wire", "oral", and
telegraph-like communications.  Wire and oral communications are
essentially phone and face-to-face conversations.

In article <189@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> dudek@harvard.UUCP (Glen Dudek) writes:

>I am not a lawyer, but after wading through the pertinent sections of
>S.2575 ...  I am not overly concerned.  It seems to be
>primarily concerned with protecting the privacy of electronic messages,
>and establishing the guidelines under which such electronic messages
>can be divulged or obtained by legal investigation.

	Yes, it does finally address the subject of electronic messages.
However, the bill changes some things for other forms of communication.
In particular, it explicitly excludes cordless telephone conversations
from protection.  See the change in definition of "wire communication"
in Sec. 101. (a) (1) (D) (of S.2575)
	by inserting before the semicolon at the end the following:
"or communications affecting interstate or foreign commerce, but such
term does not include the radio portion of a cordless telephone
communication that is transmitted between the cordless telephone handset
and the base unit".

	I think this is a very bad inconsistency.  In particular,
because other radio transmitted telephone conversations are protected -
(cellular and older mobile phones).  The claim is that it is too easy to
tap cordless telephone conversations.  Well, this is true, but from
conversations with people who I believe to be knowledgeable in that area,
I believe it is just as easy to tap these other forms.

	In my opinion, a better law would be to protect
scrambled/encrypted conversations on the radio waves and leave
unprotected messages legally unprotected.  This might encourage the
vendors to provide systems with real security and would put the law more
in step with the protection you can expect to actually have if someone
tries to break the law anyway.  This would also avoid the problem with
accidently picking up a conversation, i.e. tuning your amateur radio
across the bands and happen to cross the frequencies used for phone
transmissions.  I believe this accidental reception would be illegal.
With an encrypted signal, this problem is avoided.

	One other thing of interest is the fact that the penalties for
listening to cellular conversations are lower then for other
transmission media.  It makes you kind of wonder if the penalties were
based on the cost of the equipment involved.  (cordless < cellular <
mobile)

>This is the
>primary section on privacy and disclosure:
>
>	    "(3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this
>    paragraph, a person or entity providing an electronic communication
>    service to the public shall not willfully divulge the contents of any
>    communication (other than one to such person or entity, or an agent
>    thereof) while in transmission on that service to any person or entity
>    other than an addressee or intended recipient of such communication or
>    an agent of such addressee or intended recipient.
>
>	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
>    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
>    communication--
>
>	    "(iii) to a person employed or authorized, or whose
>    facilities are used, to forward such communication to its destination;
>    or
	Note: This makes it legal to read the messages in your
mail spool directory if you administer the system.

>	    "(iv) which were inadvertently obtained by the service
>    provider and which appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if
>    such divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.".

	Why this exception?  Yes, we all want to stop crime, but I
can't find a similar statement for phone conversations.  There are
mentions of service personnel monitoring transmission for quality
control, but I don't think this allows them to divulge the contents of
those conversations without a court order.  Why can't e-mail get the
same legal protection.

	That's it for now, but I haven't finished going through the
bill yet.  I'm also interested in the amendments to the bill which
were made suddenly (and apparently without discussion).

				Bill Bogstad
				bogstad@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa
				bogstad@brl-smoke.arpa

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (08/22/86)

In article <189@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> dudek@harvard.UUCP (Glen Dudek) writes:

>I am not a lawyer, but after wading through the pertinent sections of
>S.2575 ... , I am not overly concerned.
>
>	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
>    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
>    communication--
>	    "(iv) which were inadvertently obtained by the service
>    provider and which appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if
>    such divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.".
>
>These do not seem to be unreasonable restrictions.  So, what is hiding
>between the lines of the legal mumbo-jumbo that I am missing?  Please
>reference the appropriate sections so I can try to make sense of it again.
>
>	Glen Dudek
>	postmaster@harvard.harvard.edu

That last paragraph means (in my opinion, also of a non-lawyer) that
if you INADVERTENTLY peek at some mail passing through your node of
the net AND it appears to pertain to a crime THEN you can feel free
to divulge otherwise PRIVATE MAIL!  Lets see you do that with US Snail:
I'm the mailroom clerk and happen to open your letter and ...

((that is just one of the problems))

-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/22/86)

You can't tell the players without a key.  ">>" is me, John Gilmore; ">"
is David desJardins (desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU).  Text direct from the
bill is indented 8 spaces.  Left margin is me commenting.  Indented
paragraphs are me paraphrasing the bill.  Please don't anybody quote
more than 10 lines of this or we'll never figure it out.

>>It appears to put legal liability on Usenet hosts which forward mail or
>>news for other hosts, and could alter or destroy the current structure
>>of Usenet (and/or Stargate).
>>This bill, S.2575 [...] makes you legally responsible for the carriage
>>of email unless you run a "public access" system.
>Unfortunately, I can't find anything in it to substantiate John's claims
>above...

By "puts legal liability on" I meant "makes subject to suit or prosecution".

>   The second claim, that you are "legally responsible for the carriage of
>email unless you run a 'public access' system" is also unclear...

I meant "responsible to the sender for disclosing it to third parties":

		"(g) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter
	121 of this title for any person--
		"(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made
	through an electronic communication system that is configured so that
	such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general
	public;
	"CHAPTER 121 -- STORED WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND
			TRANSACTIONAL RECORDS ACCESS
	"Section 2702. Disclosure of contents
		"(a) PROHIBITIONS.-- Except as provided in subsection (b)--
			"(1) a person or entity providing an electronic
	communication service to the public shall not knowingly divulge to any
	person or entity the contents of a communication while in electronic
	storage by that service;
	"Section 2707. Civil action
		"(a) CAUSE OF ACTION. -- Any provider of electronic
	communications service, subscriber, or customer aggrieved by any
	violation of this chapter in which the conduct constituting the
	violation is engaged in with a knowing or intentional state of mind
	may, in a civil action, recover from the person or entity which
	engaged in that violation such relief as may be appropriate.

This requires that a Usenet host carrying email not send the message to
anyone other than the recipient(s).  While some waffling could be done
around the word "knowingly", I'd hate to hang my defense on it.
I've seen enough email go astray in the uucp network to wonder if I
should be carrying other peoples' email after this bill passes.

You might be able to maintain that software bugs which cause mail to
be divulged to third parties do not cause "knowing" divulgence, but after
a history of such bugs and divulgences is shown over time, a case could
be made.

I think it should be possible to set up and run an unreliable email
service in the US, with the customers knowing full well that it is
unreliable.  (By "unreliable" I mean that not only might the message
not get there, it might go somewhere else.)  The bill removes this
choice, which seems to be the choice we in the Usenet have currently
made.

--

The sections on "governmental access" require careful reading.  Here's
what I get from the bill, paraphrased:

	They need a warrant to get email less than 180 days old
out of an "electronic communications system".

	They need only a subpoena or court order to get email older
than 180 days from anywhere.

	They need only a subpoena or court order to get anything from
a "remote computing service", no matter what its age.

	Unix machines used by end-users would mostly be classed as
remote computing services, though machines that just forwarded mail
might be considered electronic communications systems.  This means
that once a message is in /usr/spool/mail/$USER or your mbox, it
can be gotten without a warrant.

	Warrants are much harder to get then subpoenas or court orders.
The Constitution spells out the requirements for a warrant, and it
requires an exact description of what they are searching for.

	All of this is available to the state (and maybe local)
governments, as well as the Feds.

	Access to your data with a warrant: does not notify you.

	Access to your data with a court order or subpoena, which
notifies you: causes them to make a backup copy, then tell you they
want the data, and give you 14 days to protest.  If you don't protest, or if
your protest loses in court, the computer center turns over the backup
to the government.  It is not possible to appeal this protest to a higher
court.

	Access to your data with a court order or subpoena, which does
not notify you: can be done by having a medium high bureaucrat, defined
below, certify that notifying you might have an "adverse result",
defined below.  You will find out 90 days later, but you don't get to
block it, since your 14 day period expired while you didn't know they
were asking for the data.

	"Section 2705. Delayed notice
		"(a) DELAY OF NOTIFICATION.--
			"(2) An adverse result for the purposes of paragraph
	(1) of this subsection is---
				"(A) endangering the life or physical safety
				of an individual;
				"(B) flight from prosecution;
				"(C) destruction of or tampering with
				evidence;
				"(D) intimidation of potential witnesses; or
				"(E) otherwise seriously jeopardizing an
				investigation or unduly delaying a trial.
			"(6) As used in this subsection, the term 'supervisory
	official' means the investigative agent in charge or assistant
	investigative agent in charge or an equivalent of an investigating
	agency's headquarters or regional office, or the chief prosecuting
	attorney or the first assistant prosecuting attorney or an equivalent
	of a prosecuting attorney's headquarters or regional office.

I find this to be a little loose.  I think all files less than 180 days
old should require a warrant, no matter where they happen to be sitting.

I don't see why the government would ever choose to tell you it
was after your data, since getting a signature that your finding
out would "unduly delay a trial" should be pretty trivial; for example,
you might protest or hire a lawyer, and that would delay them.  I think that
if they can't get a warrant, but choose to not notify you, they should
not be given the data until you have been notified and had a chance to
protest.

I also think that the bill should provide a clear definition
of the difference between a remote computing service and an electronic
communications system -- which the FCC has been trying to do for a long
time, and failing -- or should treat the two the same.
--

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (08/23/86)

In article <1032@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>	"CHAPTER 121 -- STORED WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND
>			TRANSACTIONAL RECORDS ACCESS
>
>	"Section 2702. Disclosure of contents
>		"(a) PROHIBITIONS.-- Except as provided in subsection (b)--
>			"(1) a person or entity providing an electronic
>	communication service to the public shall not knowingly divulge to any
>	person or entity the contents of a communication while in electronic
>	storage by that service;
>
>I think it should be possible to set up and run an unreliable email
>service in the US, with the customers knowing full well that it is
>unreliable.  (By "unreliable" I mean that not only might the message
>not get there, it might go somewhere else.)  The bill removes this
>choice, which seems to be the choice we in the Usenet have currently
>made.

   It's too bad you didn't quote a little further.  But I suppose you have
to be selective when you are trying to make a point that is not borne out
by the actual text.

		"(b) EXCEPTIONS.--  A person or entity may divulge the
	contents of a communication--
			"(3) with the lawful consent of the originator or an
	addressee or intended recipient of such communication, or the
	subscriber in the case of remote computing service;

   This seems to indicate quite clearly that the originator can give consent
for the contents of his message to be disclosed.  For an individual Usenet
host, the "originator" and "addressee" are either users on that machine or
other Usenet hosts (or possibly machines on other nets).  So all you need
is a release from your mail feeds, stating that they give their "lawful
consent" for the unintentional disclosure of the contents of their communi-
cations.

   -- David desJardins

In article <1665@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>>	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
>>    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
>>    communication--
>>	    "(iv) which were inadvertently obtained by the service
>>    provider and which appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if
>>    such divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.".
>
>That last paragraph means (in my opinion, also of a non-lawyer) that
>if you INADVERTENTLY peek at some mail passing through your node of
>the net AND it appears to pertain to a crime THEN you can feel free
>to divulge otherwise PRIVATE MAIL!  Lets see you do that with US Snail:
>I'm the mailroom clerk and happen to open your letter and ...

   As a matter of fact this is *exactly* the provision that does currently
apply to the US Mail -- I think it has been copied verbatim into this new
context.
   But what I find strange is that this disclosure is certainly legal under
existing law -- right now there are essentially no restrictions.  So, while
half of the net is screaming that S 2575 is *too* restrictive, you are
arguing for *more* restrictions.
   Just another sign that there is far from total agreement on the net
about the various provisions of this bill.

   -- David desJardins

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (08/23/86)

In article <15389@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) writes:
> In article <1032@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> >
> >	"CHAPTER 121 -- STORED WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND
> >			TRANSACTIONAL RECORDS ACCESS
> >
> >	"Section 2702. Disclosure of contents
> >		"(a) PROHIBITIONS.-- Except as provided in subsection (b)--
> >			"(1) a person or entity providing an electronic
> >	communication service to the public shall not knowingly divulge to any
> >	person or entity the contents of a communication while in electronic
> >	storage by that service;
> >

> 		"(b) EXCEPTIONS.--  A person or entity may divulge the
> 	contents of a communication--
> 			"(3) with the lawful consent of the originator or an
> 	addressee or intended recipient of such communication, or the
> 	subscriber in the case of remote computing service;
>
>    This seems to indicate quite clearly that the originator can give consent
> for the contents of his message to be disclosed.  For an individual Usenet
> host, the "originator" and "addressee" are either users on that machine or
> other Usenet hosts (or possibly machines on other nets).  So all you need
> is a release from your mail feeds, stating that they give their "lawful
> consent" for the unintentional disclosure of the contents of their communi-
> cations.

   To begin with, Mr. Gilmore complains about a law which proposes to make it
illegal for the operator of an electronic communication service to knowingly
divulge the contents of any communication while in storage on their machine.
Why?  We all know that Mr. Gilmore has little respect for the privacy of mail
which is routed through his machine (which is why I try to route my mail
around hoptoad whenever possible).  It would seem that Mr. Gilmore wishes to
have the right (without threat of prosecution) to now divulge the contents
of messages routed through his machine.   While there are aspects of this
bill I don't especially care for, and I have written a letter to my
congresscritters about it, I think that in this instance, at least, Mr.
Gilmore is off base.

   Mr. DesJardins  then confuses the system adminstrators of mail feed sites
with "originators" and "addressees".  I beg to differ.  As *I* read the text
of the bill, only **I** may authorize the intentional divulging on the
content of messages I send.  A release from any mail feed site would have no
legal standing in such a question.

   Both gentlemen seem to have missed the fact that the language specifies
"intentional" or "knowingly" divulgin the contents of messages.  If some
flaw of the software or hardware, or an error on the part of a sender
results in the contents of a message being *inadvertantly* (or "unkonwingly")
divulged to someone other than the addressee, there is no violation
involved.

   This bill is a mess, it attempts to cover too many things with language
that is inadequate, and is clearly designed by persons having little or
no knowledge of the technical realities of electronic communications.  On
this basis alone, we should all write to the appropriate legislators and
bodies, expressing displeasure with the bill.

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (08/24/86)

In article <877@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>   Mr. DesJardins  then confuses the system adminstrators of mail feed sites
>with "originators" and "addressees".  I beg to differ.  As *I* read the text
>of the bill, only **I** may authorize the intentional divulging on the
>content of messages I send.  A release from any mail feed site would have no
>legal standing in such a question.

   I would say instead that Mr. Keller fundamentally misunderstands the
operation of Usenet mail.  There expressly is *not* a "Usenet" organization
which provides for the delivery of mail from one user to another.  Rather,
Usenet is composed of a number of *distinct entities*, each of which has
taken on a very limited role:  that of receiving mail from one machine foo,
examining the message, noting that the addressee is "bar!(random stuff),"
and forwarding the message to machine bar.  I see no moral or legal reason
why any Usenet site should have any responsibility whatsoever to the
individual who happened to originate the text of a particular message at
a site with which they have no interaction whatsoever, under either existing
or proposed law.  A site's only responsibility is and should be to the sites
to which it sends and from which it receives.

   -- David desJardins

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (08/25/86)

In article <3230@brl-smoke.ARPA> bogstad@brl.arpa (William Bogstad (JHU|mike) <bogstad>) writes:
>>	    "(3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this
>>    paragraph, a person or entity providing an electronic communication
>>    service to the public shall not willfully divulge the contents of any
>>    communication (other than one to such person or entity, or an agent
>>    thereof) while in transmission on that service to any person or entity
>>    other than an addressee or intended recipient of such communication or
>>    an agent of such addressee or intended recipient.
>>
>>	    "(B) A person or entity providing electronic communication
>>    service to the public may divulge the contents of any such
>>    communication--
>>	    "(iv) which were inadvertently obtained by the service
>>    provider and which appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if
>>    such divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.".
>
>	Why this exception?  Yes, we all want to stop crime, but I
>can't find a similar statement for phone conversations.  There are
>mentions of service personnel monitoring transmission for quality
>control, but I don't think this allows them to divulge the contents of
>those conversations without a court order.  Why can't e-mail get the
>same legal protection.
>
>				Bill Bogstad

" 'electronic communication' menas any transfer of signs, signals,
writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of ANY NATURE transmitted
in whole or in part by a WIRE, RADIO, ELECTROMAGNETIC, PHOTOELECTRONIC or
PHOTOOPTICAL system ... , but does not include ...
 B) any WIRE or ORAL communication ... "

Well, to me the above is at best ambiguous, since in one case they
include wire communications then exclude the same ones.  I therefore
don't know, but one could say that telephone conversations MIGHT be
included as 'electronic communication', especially if digitized.  Of course,
records, tapes and movies ARE included.  Hmm, depending on what is photo-
optical, this might even include any letter that CAN be read by a photo-
optic reader (since the letter would be a PART of the optical recognition
system).  On second thought, every check I write is the data part of
a photooptic system, so all my checks would be considered ...

The essence here is that this is LUDICROUS, but I believe the wording
says that!

-- Glenn Tenney

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (08/26/86)

In article <15406@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>In article <877@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>>   Mr. DesJardins  then confuses the system adminstrators of mail feed sites
>>with "originators" and "addressees".  I beg to differ.  As *I* read the text
>>of the bill, only **I** may authorize the intentional divulging on the
>>content of messages I send.  A release from any mail feed site would have no
>>legal standing in such a question.
>examining the message, noting that the addressee is "bar!(random stuff),"
>and forwarding the message to machine bar.  I see no moral or legal reason
>why any Usenet site should have any responsibility whatsoever to the
>individual who happened to originate the text of a particular message at
>a site with which they have no interaction whatsoever, under either existing
>or proposed law.  A site's only responsibility is and should be to the sites
>to which it sends and from which it receives.

That's the way the June 19 (16) 1986 version seems: the bill assumes there
is ONE SENDER, ONE RECEIVER, and INTERMEDIARIES.  I didn't see definitions
of sender/receiver/intermediary, but I imagine they're in the original
sections of the code.

In the case of UUCP MAIL, there may be many intermediaries.  Each site only
"knows" its neighbors (let's deal with anonymous uucp/ftp in a minute), so
each site doesn't know nor care who the message sender/receivers are.  Now
what if a site has anonymous logins or daemons which can send/receive
mail?  (Public 'phone booth'?)  It seems the sites being used by the
sender/receivers don't need to confirm identity (anonymous access):

	"(h) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter--
	"(ii) for a provider of electronic communication service to
record the fact that a wire or electronic communication was initiated
or completed in order to protect such provider, another provider
furnishing service toward the completion of the wire or electronic
communication, or a user of that service, from fraudulent, unlawful
or abusive use of such service; or
	..." (page 4 of my listing.. Section 211(2) of title 18, USC)

The above allows each site to keep records, but does not require it.

In the case of USENET news articles, Section 211(2) of title 18, USC,
is amended to allow

	"(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made
through an electronic communication system that is configured so that
such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general
public; ..."

The above allows whatever kind of USENET rebroadcasting is needed.
USENET news are intended for access by anyone with the right kind
of equipment (and good attempts at widening that base are obvious
in the source).  The above seems to allow any USENET site to send
USENET news to anyone else.

So what's the fuss?  What new things is this law requiring of USENET
and UUCP MAIL sites?

It seems uucp can continue to lose mail.  On the other hand, if any
cracker reads or messes up a site's mail the law creates (section 2701)
Federal penalties!

--
Scot E. Wilcoxon    Minn Ed Comp Corp  {quest,dicome,meccts}!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N  93 08 W (612)481-3507 {{caip!meccts},ihnp4,philabs}!mecc!sewilco

bogstad@brl-smoke.ARPA (William Bogstad ) (08/26/86)

In article <15406@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>In article <877@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
[edited]
>and forwarding the message to machine bar.  I see no moral or legal reason
>why any Usenet site should have any responsibility whatsoever to the
>individual who happened to originate the text of a particular message at
>a site with which they have no interaction whatsoever, under either existing
>or proposed law.  A site's only responsibility is and should be to the sites
>to which it sends and from which it receives.

	I don't know what the current legal responsibilities are on
USENET (i.e. uucp mail), and I am not sure what they will be if the
suggested legislation is enacted.  However, I do think that there are
some moral responsiblities.

	If you as a site administrator want to discard any mail that is
not directly addressed to people on your site or based on any other
criteria, I would have to accept that as being your moral right.  Uucp
mail has always been based on a system where service is provided in
whatever quality and quantity the site felt it could provide.  I am
not aware of anyone being required to provide a certain level of service
in order to become a member of USENET.  Hopefully, your uucp map entry
accurately describes the service you will attempt to provide so that
others do not depend on you based on faulty information.  I do think,
however, that you have a moral responsibility to keep other people's
mail private.  Discard it if you must, but please don't publish it.

[A similiar discussion on reading other's mail occurred just a short
time ago here and in net.news, so maybe we should just let this subtopic
go and make sure that the "correct" legal responsibilities are enacted.
"Correct", of course, not having yet been determined and unless you get
involved might not turn out the way you think it should, i.e. you may
become responsible for uucp mail's delivery.]

				Bill Bogstad
				bogstad@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa
				bogstad@brl-smoke.arpa

root@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (08/26/86)

One of the interesting issues is how the proposed changes would affect
mail within our campus.  Currently we have what I regard as a
reasonable privacy policy.  Users' files will not be divulged to
anyone else unless there is a good reason for doing so.  However good
reasons can include University proceedings, and investigations by the
system administrators involving resource usage or system security.  I
am hoping that nothing in the law will require me to get a court order
to look at mail files on my own system, should I have a good reason
for doing so.  (Note that this is not something that I do under normal
circumstances.  But if I have probable cause to think that a user is
doing something damaging, and that looking at their mail file will
show it, I do not want to have to go to the police in order to proceed
with an investigation.  It should be possible to authorize this by an
internal administrative proceeding of some sort. In general we try to
avoid bringing down even the campus police on our students, except in
really extreme cases.)

It is not clear to me exactly what is protected.  Most people seem to
think that mail in transit through my site is protected.  But once
mail gets into the user's files, is it still protected?  I am hoping
that it is not.  Otherwise we will have to have special flags in each
byte to indicate whether the byte arrived via computer mail or not.

It is also not clear to me that everything that is called electronic
mail really is, according to the law.  The law clearly has in view
third parties providing a service to the public.  Presumably it should
still be possible for a company to route its memos among its staff
electronically, without suddenly finding that it can't look at its own
memos if the right person doesn't happen to be around to authorize it.
I suspect that our lawyers will take the position that we are not
providing general electronic mail service to our students.  Rather, we
are providing simplified ways for them to receive and turn in
assignments, etc.  I.e. they are using our computer only for what is
broadly considered University business.  They are not end users in
the same sense as a user of a public timesharing system.

If the term "public" turns out to have a crucial role, as I suspect it
will, we are likely to find ourselves in the same situation as with
our campus roads.  Once a year we close all of our roads, just to
prove to people that these are strictly internal University resources,
and not a public road.  I think we may want to take the view that we
have an agreement with a few neighboring sites to exchange data via
UUCP, but we are not provding an electronic mail service to the
public.  Once a year we may decide to bounce all communications for a
day, just to make it clear that we are not in the mail business.  Does
this make any sense to anybody?

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (08/27/86)

In article <5615@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> root@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>One of the interesting issues is how the proposed changes would affect
>mail within our campus.  Currently we have what I regard as a
>reasonable privacy policy.  Users' files will not be divulged to
>anyone else unless there is a good reason for doing so.  However good
>reasons can include University proceedings, and investigations by the
>system administrators involving resource usage or system security.  I
>am hoping that nothing in the law will require me to get a court order
>to look at mail files on my own system, should I have a good reason
>for doing so.  (Note that this is not something that I do under normal
>circumstances.  But if I have probable cause to think that a user is
>doing something damaging, and that looking at their mail file will
>show it, I do not want to have to go to the police in order to proceed
>with an investigation.  It should be possible to authorize this by an
>internal administrative proceeding of some sort. In general we try to
>avoid bringing down even the campus police on our students, except in
>really extreme cases.)

My reading of the bill says that you, as an employee of the service
provider, can look at all communications either: as necessary and
incident to rendering the service, or to the protection of the rights
or property of the provider; and for forwarding the mail.  I find it
*INTERESTING* to think that the bill says the rights or property
of the provider, so the university security force can look at
all E-Mail just in case some student talks about infringing ANY rights
of the university --- !!! BIG BROTHER !!!   This stinks!!!

>It is not clear to me exactly what is protected.  Most people seem to
>think that mail in transit through my site is protected.  But once
>mail gets into the user's files, is it still protected?  I am hoping
>that it is not.  Otherwise we will have to have special flags in each
>byte to indicate whether the byte arrived via computer mail or not.

Sorry, but it seems to be protected in transit AND within your site.

>It is also not clear to me that everything that is called electronic
>mail really is, according to the law.  The law clearly has in view
>third parties providing a service to the public.  Presumably it should
>still be possible for a company to route its memos among its staff
>electronically, without suddenly finding that it can't look at its own
>memos if the right person doesn't happen to be around to authorize it.
>I suspect that our lawyers will take the position that we are not
>providing general electronic mail service to our students.  Rather, we
>are providing simplified ways for them to receive and turn in
>assignments, etc.  I.e. they are using our computer only for what is
>broadly considered University business.  They are not end users in
>the same sense as a user of a public timesharing system.

Hmm.  First, the bill talks about electronic communications services
and remote computing services and the storage within those systems
which you are providing.  The bill talks about providing these services
to the public.  Well, if you are a net site forwarding e-mail for
other sites, there is no question that those communications are protected.
As for your students, are you a public university?  Do you receive
public funds? etc.  My gut feeling is that even a private university really
is providing services to that segment of the public that is able to pay for
the services (ie. tuition).

>If the term "public" turns out to have a crucial role, as I suspect it
>will, we are likely to find ourselves in the same situation as with
>our campus roads.  Once a year we close all of our roads, just to
>prove to people that these are strictly internal University resources,
>and not a public road.  I think we may want to take the view that we
>have an agreement with a few neighboring sites to exchange data via
>UUCP, but we are not provding an electronic mail service to the
>public.  Once a year we may decide to bounce all communications for a
>day, just to make it clear that we are not in the mail business.  Does
>this make any sense to anybody?

- - - slight subject change here - - -

Another related, but perhaps missed point in the bill of special
interest to universities is that it is a crime for someone that
"intentionally exceeds an authorization to access that facility" in addition
to the usual break in!  This crime can have a fine of up to $250,000 and
a year in prison.  What a tool for power hungry security people to
use on students that like to play around to see what their limits are.
Just one short sentence, but what an affect.

-- Glenn Tenney

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/28/86)

In article <15406@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, David desJardins writes:
>                                             I see no moral or legal reason
> why any Usenet site should have any responsibility whatsoever to the
> individual who happened to originate the text of a particular message at
> a site with which they have no interaction whatsoever, under either existing
> or proposed law.  A site's only responsibility is and should be to the sites
> to which it sends and from which it receives.

This is certainly David's point of view.  I don't think that this is
what the current bill proposes, though.  The bill gives the originator
of a message the right to sue people who disclose it.  Fabrications
about my not really originating a message, it was originated by decvax
when it passed the message to ucbvax, will not fool anybody, even a
judge.

[This is why I first got upset about the bill -- it changes the rules
for our electronic mail system, without our consent.]

If I send an email message through David's site, and he intercepts it
and discloses it, the bill lets me sue him.  If he's interested I'm
sure we can put it to the test...

David, I suggest you call a staffer on the Judiciary Committee and ask
them which interpretation is intended by the authors.  Try Cindy Blackburn
at 202-224-8059.
--

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (08/29/86)

> >>	    "(3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this
> >>    paragraph, a person or entity providing an electronic communication
> >>    service to the public shall not willfully divulge the contents of any
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  This is a crucial point - just because you allow certain people and sites
to use your machine for this purpose does not mean that you are offering
such services "to the public".

  Our position is that we restrict these services to our account holders
(students, faculty, staff) and to sites with which we have arrangements,
and that this does not constitute offering service "to the public."

  Our university counsel also mentioned that many laws are passed with
vague areas which require litigation to define more clearly - this does
appear to be a candidate for this category.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) (08/30/86)

In article <1683@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:

>Another related, but perhaps missed point in the bill of special
>interest to universities is that it is a crime for someone that
>"intentionally exceeds an authorization to access that facility" in addition
>to the usual break in!  This crime can have a fine of up to $250,000 and
>a year in prison.  What a tool for power hungry security people to
>use on students that like to play around to see what their limits are.
>Just one short sentence, but what an affect.
>
>-- Glenn Tenney

I think that 'students that like to play around to see what their limits are'
are exactly the target of this clause.  Without this clause, any penalties on
unauthorized access would be meaningless.  In both business and academia,
I think that most of the really serious security breachs were done by people
who already have some authorization to access the computer.

I haven't looked at the bill (I understand that it was posted with 14 bit
compression).  Does it cover malicious denial of service?  (E.g intentionally
wedging the machine?)
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard,linus}!axiom!drilex!dricej

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (09/02/86)

In article <1978@ecsvax.UUCP> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  This is a crucial point - just because you allow certain people and sites
>to use your machine for this purpose does not mean that you are offering
>such services "to the public".
>
>  Our position is that we restrict these services to our account holders
>(students, faculty, staff) and to sites with which we have arrangements,
>and that this does not constitute offering service "to the public."

I believe that this is exactly why this should be of concern to net.mail.
If you forward e-mail for other uucp sites, this could (would?) be considered
services "to the public" since you really don't restrict what e-mail you
forward.
-- Glenn