[net.mail] Driving on the left side of the road :-)

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (09/08/86)

I am trying to communicate with a site in Britain, and I think I need
a basic network topology briefing

The message is destined to site psg.npl.co.uk

Our mailer sends mail in the uk domain to cs.ucl.ac.uk via X.25.  If I
remember well, that machine is the gateway to the uk domain, where address
conversion to the "programming-language-style domains" takes place

But the JANET address of the site I am trying to reach is
JANET:          jrp%psg.npl.co.uk@uk.ac.ukc
which seems to indicate that JANET and the uk domain are not one and the same
(could the uk in cs.ucl.ac.uk be an internetism while the one in ac.ukc.uk is
a janetism?)

Is the real address
jrp%psg.npl.co.uk%ukc.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
-- assuming we have a direct link to cs.ucl.ac.uk?
No joke?

Is this the same kind of situation where an arpa site with a .edu name
must go through csnet-relay explicitly to reach ai.toronto.edu on CSNet?

Hoping for the day where a machine will have a UNIQUE id and that gateways
will work...

Jean-Francois Lamy
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.edu
University of Toronto		       EAN:   lamy@ai.toronto.cdn
Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A4	       UUCP:  lamy@utai.uucp

------- Forwarded Messages

Date:    Mon, 8 Sep 86 05:27:10 edt
Subject: Failed Mail Transfer

Date:     Mon, 8 Sep 86 2:25:21 BST

Message not delivered to address: jrp@psg.npl.co.uk

The reason for the failure was:
    [USER] (BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "jrp@psg.npl.co.uk"

[ and so on...]

------- Message 2

[exerpts from the signature of the message I wish to reply to]

UUCP: 		jrp%nplpsg.uucp@mcvax.uucp
		jrp@psg.npl.co.uk
		...mcvax!ukc!nplpsg!jrp
ARPA:		jrp%nplpsg.uucp@seismo.css.gov
JANET:		jrp%psg.npl.co.uk@uk.ac.ukc

------- End of Forwarded Messages

--

stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Stephen J. Muir) (09/11/86)

In article <2279@utai.UUCP> lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
>I am trying to communicate with a site in Britain, and I think I need
>a basic network topology briefing
>
>The message is destined to site psg.npl.co.uk
>
>Our mailer sends mail in the uk domain to cs.ucl.ac.uk via X.25.  If I
>remember well, that machine is the gateway to the uk domain, where address
>conversion to the "programming-language-style domains" takes place

This is nothing to do with the domain order in this case.  What has happened is
that UKNET (the UK branch of USENET) has evolved separately from the two X.25
networks over here (JANET and PSS).  A while ago, the UKNET powers to be
decided that all UKNET sites should also have a domain-style name as used in
JANET and PSS.  Such domain names should be registered in the NRS (Name
Registration Scheme), which is a central registry of domain-style UK names.

Since, due to what I shall call "red tape", it is not very straightforward to
register your name in the NRS, not all UKNET sites are registered there yet.
I suspect many sites have given up trying!  The machine "cs.ucl.ac.uk" is the
"official" JANET<->ARPA gateway.  It does not recognise UKNET names.  The other
gateway, known both as "ukc.ac.uk" and "ukc.uucp", recognises both the UKNET
and domain-style names (whether registered in the NRS or not), but costs the UK
site money both for incoming and outgoing mail.

What I suggest you do is try "cs.ucl.ac.uk" first.  If that fails, try the
other one.
--
EMAIL:	stephen@comp.lancs.ac.uk	| Post: University of Lancaster,
UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen	|	Department of Computing,

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (09/11/86)

In article <2279@utai.UUCP> lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:

>I am trying to communicate with a site in Britain, and I think I need
>a basic network topology briefing
>
>The message is destined to site psg.npl.co.uk
>
>Our mailer sends mail in the uk domain to cs.ucl.ac.uk via X.25.  If I
>remember well, that machine is the gateway to the uk domain, where address
>conversion to the "programming-language-style domains" takes place
>
>But the JANET address of the site I am trying to reach is
>JANET:          jrp%psg.npl.co.uk@uk.ac.ukc
>which seems to indicate that JANET and the uk domain are not one and the same
>(could the uk in cs.ucl.ac.uk be an internetism while the one in ac.ukc.uk is
>a janetism?)

JANET and the uk domain should be one and the same: names in the uk domain
should be registered in the UK Name Registration Scheme - akin to an ARPA
nameserver. The UK ARPA/JANET gateway at UCL takes care of mapping between
ARPA and JANET names and relaying the mail. If your ARPA mailer is smart
enough to kick all uk mail to UCL without an explicit relay, the address
given should be enough for UCL to forward to the appropriate host in JANET.

UCL also copes with such bizarre follies as the reverse domain ordering
we're stuck with. My ARPA domain address is "jim@cs.strath.ac.uk". In JANET,
it's "jim@uk.ac.strath.cs"!! (We'll ignore JANET's long and short names -
they only make this shambles more confusing.)

>Is the real address
>jrp%psg.npl.co.uk%ukc.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
>-- assuming we have a direct link to cs.ucl.ac.uk?

Yes. The site you are actually trying to reach is on UUCP and is accessible
through the UK UUCP "gateway" at UKC. They have tried to prevent confusion
by arranging that all outgoing UUCP mail presents addresses in ARPA ordering,
using pseudo NRS names for sites not on JANET - eg user@host.dom.co.uk.

The trouble is that some folk think that these pseudo names are registered
in JANET's NRS when they are not (even though the addresses aren't in JANET
domain order anyway). The folk at UCL rebuild their address tables from the
NRS and they usually take extra information on these pseudo-names from UKC.
Your mail shouldn't have been bounced by UCL.

Perhaps you could contact the UCL postmaster to see what went wrong? Perhaps
their address tables were faulty when you tried sending mail. You could
also try an explicit UUCP route - "...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!psg.npl.co.uk!user"
will work.

		Jim

ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim@strath-cs.uucp, ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim
JANET:	jim@uk.ac.strath.cs

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"

pc@ukc.ac.uk (R.P.A.Collinson) (09/12/86)

UCL do not understand references to UK style domain names which are
not registered with the Name Registration Scheme in the UK.  This is
reasonable behaviour.  Currently, the UUCP network in the UK is in
transition between the `old style' <name>.uucp way of doing things and
a completely domain based system ending in the ARPA registered domain
.uk. UCL do understand the `uucp' names for all UK sites (they send them
to ukc to deal with :-) ).

The UUCP maps which we put out from ukc reflect the transition.
Every site has a uucp name and where relevent (ie. where the name
is registered) an alias to the uucp name is given as an alias in the
pathalias data.

It is also true to say that the mail system at UKC understands the
unregistered name (and some nasty combinations in between) so the
address

	user%unregisteredname%ukc.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk

will work.

I hope that we will be moving more quickly with registration of
all UK sites soon.

PS Other countries do have the sense to drive on the left. It makes
it much easier to get the sword out, you know.