[net.mail] Change of address notification

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) (09/11/86)

Hi, everybody!

Just wanted y'all to share in my excitement as I completed setting up my
new workstation! You can all send me mail on this cute little thing now!
I spent all weekend trying to come up with a GREAT name for it, and finally
decided that "seismo" was a cool name. So, just send those cards and letters
to jordan@seismo ... I can't wait!

Tee Hee. Aren't I a clever little rascal? Seismo was a great Martian god
just before the war. Aren't you up on your spacy-mythology?!?

/jordan

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (09/12/86)

There is a site in Italy that wants to name their vax seismo. They
also want to exchange mail/data with us. They don't seem to see
any conflict.

There are several seismo's in existance, they just aren't well connected.

---rick

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/14/86)

In article <41519@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
> There is a site in Italy that wants to name their vax seismo. They
> also want to exchange mail/data with us. They don't seem to see
> any conflict.
>
> There are several seismo's in existance, they just aren't well connected.

I don't see any conflict either.  When I talk about John to my mother, she
knows whom I mean.  when I talk about John to my soccer team, they know whom
I mean (at least until a) I'll get a baby brother also named John or b) we
recruit another player named John).

And when I talk to my ARPA-host, I expect it to know which other host I mean
when I try to send mail to rick@seismo .... I don't think that't so much to
ask.

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (09/15/86)

Gee, so I log onto my seismo and say "mail someone@seismo" it then reads
my mind to determine if I mean the seismo I am typing on or the
seismo in Italy. How could I have missed something so simple.

You have correctly stated my argument. We already HAVE the other "Johns"
The suffix .css.gov (or whatever) gives you the needed context, just
as talking to your mother gives you context.

What happens when you talk to your wife and say "I talked to John today"
She has no context so doesn't know if it's your brother, soccer teeam, etc.

---rick

davids@iscuva.UUCP (David Schmidt) (09/18/86)

In article <3975@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>In article <41519@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>> There is a site in Italy that wants to name their vax seismo. They
>> also want to exchange mail/data with us. They don't seem to see
>> any conflict.
>
>I don't see any conflict either.  When I talk about John to my mother, she
>knows whom I mean.  when I talk about John to my soccer team, they know whom
>I mean (at least until a) I'll get a baby brother also named John or b) we
>recruit another player named John).
>
>And when I talk to my ARPA-host, I expect it to know which other host I mean
>when I try to send mail to rick@seismo .... I don't think that't so much to
>ask.

The thing is, when you talk to your mother you are (in a matter of speaking)
using an "implied" domain.  She assumes you are talking about your family.
Likewise with the soccer team.

If you were to have members of your soccer team over for dinner at your
parents you would have to qualify "John".  You would have to say "John on
my soccer team" instead of just John.  That is, in effect, a domain.

--

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  David Schmidt

diamant@hpfclp.HP.COM (John Diamant) (09/19/86)

> I don't see any conflict either.  When I talk about John to my mother, she
> knows whom I mean.  when I talk about John to my soccer team, they know whom
> I mean (at least until a) I'll get a baby brother also named John or b) we
> recruit another player named John).
>
> And when I talk to my ARPA-host, I expect it to know which other host I mean
> when I try to send mail to rick@seismo .... I don't think that't so much to
> ask.

Actually, that type of context is exactly what you get.  However, the
appropriate context is not ARPA, it is COM  or GOV, etc.  If you are also
in the GOV domain, instead of typing rick@seismo.CSS.GOV, you can type in
rick@seismo.CSS, or if you are in the CSS.GOV domain, then you really can
address him as rick@seismo.  The reason the ARPA context is not sufficient
is that it is just too large.  Would you expect your soccer team to know which
John you are referring to if your team had 10,000 members!?

John Diamant
Systems Software Operation	UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA/CSNET: diamant%hpfclp@hplabs.HP.COM
Fort Collins, CO