[net.mail] A question about smail

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/29/86)

Our uucp net looks like this:

		   __ ...
		  /
	BMS -- BMS-AT -- vrdxhq -- seismo ...
		     \		/
		      \_ dgis _/

We have installed smail with a full path database on BMS.  It works
great.  I can route addresses from BMS-AT with:

	mail BMS!user@foo

I would like to use smail on BMS-AT, but not use the full database.
I would like only gateway addresses in the database.  I would like
BMS to route uucp names.  (I know, I could let seismo do it.)
I would like to be able to enter:

	smail user@foo

from BMS-AT and have the message sent to 'BMS!user@foo'.  Here
is what I put in the 'paths' file.

.UUCP	BMS!%s
BMS	BMS!%s
BMS-AT	BMS-AT!%s
UUCP	BMS!%s

Ultimately, I would put all our local connections and all domain
gateways in BMS-AT, but I wanted to start with a minimum database.
It doesn't work.  I get the message 'foo getpath failed' and it tries
to send the mail to 'foo!user'.  If I try 'user@foo.uucp', it works.
Do I have to use 'foo.uucp' to use seismo for routing also?
MYDOM is set to '.UUCP'.  I know I must be pretty dense, but please
explain.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (10/01/86)

In article <227@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>I would like to use smail on BMS-AT, but not use the full database.
>I would like only gateway addresses in the database.  I would like
>BMS to route uucp names.  (I know, I could let seismo do it.)
>I would like to be able to enter:
>
>	smail user@foo
>
>from BMS-AT and have the message sent to 'BMS!user@foo'.  Here
>is what I put in the 'paths' file.
>
>.UUCP	BMS!%s
>BMS	BMS!%s
>BMS-AT	BMS-AT!%s
>UUCP	BMS!%s
>
>Ultimately, I would put all our local connections and all domain
>gateways in BMS-AT, but I wanted to start with a minimum database.
>It doesn't work.  I get the message 'foo getpath failed' and it tries
>to send the mail to 'foo!user'.  If I try 'user@foo.uucp', it works.
>Do I have to use 'foo.uucp' to use seismo for routing also?
>MYDOM is set to '.UUCP'.  I know I must be pretty dense, but please
>explain.

In the first place, don't go around expecting seismo to handle all
your mail unless you ask them first; it just isn't nice.  Since you
have a site bms (why is all that upper case in there?) which has
the full database on it, you should be using it for your smart
gateway, not seismo.

Second, the notation user@host means "look up host in the pathalias
database, and route it there".  While there is an implied .uucp for
some actions, this isn't one of them.  You have to type in the .uucp.

Third, if this is going to work, you'll have to list all the top level
domains and indicate that BMS is the gateway for all of them:
	BMS	.com
	BMS	.edu
	BMS	.gov
	BMS	.mil
	BMS	.net
	BMS	.org
	BMS	.au
	BMS	.nl
		/* etc */
	BMS	.arpa
	BMS	.csnet
		/* etc */

	Mark Horton

tron@nsc.UUCP (Ronald S. Karr) (10/03/86)

In article <227@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
 >I would like to use smail on BMS-AT, but not use the full database.
 >I would like only gateway addresses in the database.  I would like
 >BMS to route uucp names.  (I know, I could let seismo do it.)
 >I would like to be able to enter:
 >
 >	smail user@foo
 >
 >from BMS-AT and have the message sent to 'BMS!user@foo' ...

I made a modification to smail for sites our sites which allows the
specification of a forwarding host which will be sent any addresses that
the local host cannot send due to lack of information.

Thus, in your case, if the forwarding-relay host on BMS-AT were set to BMS
then any addresses not addressable using your database would be sent to:

	BMS!address!user

Thus you would not need to state explicitly that BMS is your gateway to all
domains, while this would effectively be the case.

If there is interest in these modifications, I will post the diffs to the
net in net.sources.  Alternately, I could mail them to anyone that wants
them.
--
  Ronald S. Karr			USENET: hplabs!nsc!tron
  National Semiconductor		ARPA:   decwrl!nsc!tron@ucbvax.ARPA

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (10/09/86)

In article <2652@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> In article <227@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
> >I would like to use smail on BMS-AT, but not use the full database.
> >I would like only gateway addresses in the database.  I would like
> >BMS to route uucp names.  (I know, I could let seismo do it.)
[and Mark says]
> In the first place, don't go around expecting seismo to handle all
> your mail unless you ask them first; it just isn't nice.

To quote from u.Path.1 ...

#
# DOMAIN GATEWAY LIST FOR UUCP AND OTHER TOP-LEVEL DOMAINS
# This file is pathalias input for UUCP domain addressing.

# TOP LEVEL DOMAINS AND THEIR GATEWAYS

# UUCP top level domain
cbosgd	.uucp
ihnp4	.uucp
seismo	.uucp	<-----
ucbvax	.uucp
harvard	.uucp
mcvax	.uucp
decuac	.uucp

# ARPANET and related domains
seismo	.arpa, .com, .gov, .mil, .edu, .org, .net, .us	<-----
-----

Not that I'm trying to argue, but it would seem that a large majority
of the net is implicitly using seismo as a gateway. By letting itself
be included in the maps with this type of entry, it is seems that
seismo is offering a service perhaps?

I am the first to admit that 'ncc' is not one of the larger sites on the net,
but we attempt to do our part on a local basis when it comes to forwarding mail
and news. No, we cannot afford toll charges to pick up news, however we try to
provide a small contribution to the net by trying to help ease the burden of
distribution placed upon the backbone. USENET would be a pretty dull place if
there were only 15 or so backbone sites talking to each other.

We currently feed news and mail to several sites in our area, and are working
on providing a mail link between Edmonton and Calgary via a dedicated line we
are putting into place. We also run smail on our system, and offer the routing
capabilities to our downstream mail feeds. I don't remember reading anything
in the documentation for smail indicating that I required "permission" from
ANY site that published a map entry to use their mail gateways. It seems I
read somewhere that when I documented links in *my* map entry, it indicated
*I*, as a responsible system administrator,  was making those paths available
for the general use of the USENET community.
--

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM) 	  {ihnp4,ubc-vision,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon
Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.  		Envoy_100: Unix