[net.mail] FidoNet; mail

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (10/25/86)

Quoted from <258@puff.wisc.edu> ["Re: FidoNET Newsletter (long - 110 lines)"], by plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher)...
+---------------
|   This networking is done over normal voice grade phone lines, with the
| originator paying the phone bills.  Users can send mail to users on any
| other Fido BBS in the world, with delivery overnight.  Messages can
| also be sent to anyone on Usenet, again, see below.  Currently, FidoNet
| (the name for the global network of Fidos) consists of over 1000
| systems in USA, Canada, England, Holland, (other European contries too)
| Australia, Indonesia...
+---------------

Along with the UANet scheme I'm working on, I am trying to integrate FidoNET
with UA; this requires that the UNIX system call out, because Fido can't be
made to log in to UNIX (or so I understand).

+---------------
|   FidoNet is organized as a structured blob :-)  Anyone CAN talk to
| anyone else, but default routing channels messages through hosts or hubs.
+---------------

Sounds a lot like Usenet on PCs.  ;-}

BTW, since UA will interface with both Fido and USENET, theoretically any
UA node will be a Fido/UUCP gateway:

	...sys1!sys2!user@sysname.UA
	...sys1!sys2!user@net.node.FIDO

Note that these are only guesses; how it will really work depends on how
I can write the dispatch software without having it turn into the gross
hack that sendmail is... (in fact, I already have ideas on that, based on
a modified regexp allowing macros).

++Brandon
--
  ---------------- /--/	Brandon S. Allbery		UUCP: decvax!cwruecmp!
 /              / /|\/	Tridelta Industries, Inc.        ncoast!tdi2!brandon

pozar@well.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (10/26/86)

BERKELEY.EDU> <258@puff.wisc.edu> <1629@ncoast.UUCP>
In article <1629@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>Quoted from <258@puff.wisc.edu> ["Re: FidoNET Newsletter (long - 110 lines)"]
, by plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher)...
>+---------------
>|   This networking is done over normal voice grade phone lines, with the
>| originator paying the phone bills.  Users can send mail to users on any
>| other Fido BBS in the world, with delivery overnight.  Messages can
>| also be sent to anyone on Usenet, again, see below.  Currently, FidoNet
>| (the name for the global network of Fidos) consists of over 1000
>| systems in USA, Canada, England, Holland, (other European contries too)
>| Australia, Indonesia...
>+---------------
>
>Along with the UANet scheme I'm working on, I am trying to integrate FidoNET
>with UA; this requires that the UNIX system call out, because Fido can't be
>made to log in to UNIX (or so I understand).

   Actually Fido has a special schedule to set aside packetized mail.  During
that schedule you can run a scripted modem programme to upload the mail to the
UNIX system that is hosting the gateway.   In this way Fido can call out.
   I'm working on a gateway that will do approximatly that.

        Tim Pozar
        pozar@well.uucp
        Sysop 125/406
        (415) 788-2022 (work)

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (11/01/86)

 : Along with the UANet scheme I'm working on, I am trying to integrate FidoNET
 : with UA; this requires that the UNIX system call out, because Fido can't be
 : made to log in to UNIX (or so I understand).

Actually, using 'events', Fido can run programs (like kermit -r or
call_unix_and_login...) just as easily as it can send fidomail...

I'd like to hear from you concerning UANet - my interests lie along that
route too.

Now for the reason for posting this -vs- replying:
  I think that a comp.mail.fidonet group would be wonderful - but let's wait
  till the net re-org gets done.  FidoNet can learn a lot from
  usenet, and usenet may learn something from Fidonet.  As things
  stand now, UUCP, Internet, BITNET et al are subnets of usenet - why
  can't FidoNet join as well?  Granted, the involvement is low
  right now, but we have to start somewhere!

  FidoNet has grown from 10 nodes in 1983 to >1000 nodes now, and
  the Author of Fido (Tom Jennings) hasn't had access to Usenet
  to develop networking ideas!  It's about time to start those ideas
  moving to FidoNet, because without them, FidoNet may crash and
  burn....

  Nuff of rambling...

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)