[net.micro.zx] Removing newsgroups

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (07/15/85)

Time to clean out some deadwood, folks.  I intend to apply the same
criteria we use for creating new groups to these old, unused ones:
there must be a clearly demonstrated need not filled by another group,
AND a sufficient volume of postings to warrant a separate group.  If
you have a compelling reason why any of the following groups should
remain, MAIL those reasons to me.  Unless I get some very special
reasons or sufficient outpouring of support for a group, it will be
removed (that is, each one in this list) on or about July 26.

The candidates for removal are listed here, along with a set of responses
to potential objections to their removal.

net.movies.sw
-------------
This group was originally created when "The Empire Strikes Back" was
released (I believe), and was intended to keep all the discussions
out of net.movies.  Nothing has been posted to net.movies.sw in
many, many months that was not also posted to net.movies.  There
seems little reason to support this group until a new Star Wars
epic comes out (years), and we can recreate the group at that time,
should the net last so long.

net.rec.coins
-------------
Nothing has been posted to this group in at least 3 months.  The volume
is so low, there is no reason why "net.rec" couldn't be used for
the occasional posting about coin collecting.

net.rec.disc
------------
Same aregument as for net.rec.coins -- no one has posted anything to
the group in at least 6 weeks, and the volume is so low that net.rec
could easily handle the occasional posting.

net.women.only
a moderated newsgroup.  Anyone interested in getting on the mailing
list can read Chuqui's monthly posting in mod.newslists on mailing
lists for info.

net.micro.zx
------------
Does anyone really want to admit to owning any of these?  There has
been no traffic in the group for at least 6 weeks, and the volume
has always been so low it could easily be handled in the net.micro
newsgroup.

net.mail.msggroup
-----------------
This is supposed to be a gateway from the Arpa list, but there has
been no traffic in at least 7 months.  If we must have the gateway,
why not create a "mod" or "fa" group for it if the Arpa side
ever comes back to life?

--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (07/16/85)

In article <579@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) writes:
>net.micro.zx
>------------
>Does anyone really want to admit to owning any of these?  There has
>been no traffic in the group for at least 6 weeks, and the volume
>has always been so low it could easily be handled in the net.micro
>newsgroup.
Gee, I'd hate to see this one go. How about renaming it as 'net.doorstop'?

control@almsa-1 (William Martin) (07/16/85)

Re net.mail.msggroup: The ARPANET "Msggroup" list still exists; it has
had traffic recently, but the last several months have been at a rather
low level. It appears that the gateway into Usenet for this mailing list
has been broken, which is why it doesn't have any activity showing up.

Since there has been little noise raised about the broken gateway, it
seems fairly obvious that there is little need for the dedicated group.
Perhaps someone could fix the gateway, but set it up one-way-only and
feed any traffic into "net.mail". Since it is devoted mainly to
ARPA-style RFC 822 message-related discussions (but more generally than
the "header-people" list, which is for technical details), anybody with
input to send to it would have to have ARPA access anyway, so there is
no need for a two-way gateway. This would let Usenetters read the
traffic if there is any interest, but minimize the impact by deleting
the dedicated group.

Regards,
Will Martin

ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA    UUCP/Usenet: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin

steven@garfield.UUCP (Steven D. Brown) (07/18/85)

> Time to clean out some deadwood, folks.  I intend to apply the same
> criteria we use for creating new groups to these old, unused ones:
> there must be a clearly demonstrated need not filled by another group,
> AND a sufficient volume of postings to warrant a separate group.  If
> you have a compelling reason why any of the following groups should
> remain, MAIL those reasons to me.  Unless I get some very special
> reasons or sufficient outpouring of support for a group, it will be
> removed (that is, each one in this list) on or about July 26.
>
> net.micro.zx
> ------------
> Does anyone really want to admit to owning any of these?  There has
> been no traffic in the group for at least 6 weeks, and the volume
> has always been so low it could easily be handled in the net.micro
> newsgroup.

Yes I will admit I do own a Timex Sincalir 1000.

And I am very proud of the fact. The System I have consists of a TS-1000
16K Rampak, with a custom fullsized keyboard. Total cost $85.00 CAN.
I am presently using the following software:

		VU-CALC - A spreadsheet propgram 26 x 36
   		Flight Simulator
		Chess - Very Challanging
		Backgammon - also very Challanging
		Sinclair-File from Computing Now! Magazine

I find that this system suits my needs very well. My Only complaints are
the slow speed of the cassette interface. And the lack of hardware availability
out here in the boon docks, or if it is available in canada in is priced so
ridiculously high that I won't touch it.:-) Gladstone Electronics for example.

I for one would like to see this newsgroup left up, as I find it a great source
of information.

	SO COME ON ALL YOU OTHER TIMEX OWNERS I KNOW YOUR OUT THERE SOMEWHERE
	DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE LAUGHED AT. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED.

			LONG LIVE THE TIMEX-SINCLAIR.

				THE GOOFY NEWFIE
				STEVEN BROWN

CANADA POST:  86A LARKHALL STREET
    	      ST. JOHN'S,NFLD.
	      A1B 2C6

P.S. If anyone would like to trade info on sources of software/hardware drop
     me a line.

cgoudeseune@watnot.UUCP (Camille Goudeseune) (07/19/85)

Yes, I do admit to owning the volkswagen of computers.  Essentially, there
is nothing the humble ZX can't do that, say, a PC can.  It's just slower,
lower resolution, and 2^1000 times cheaper.  Also, I like my ZX because
you don't need to read a stack of manuals to master it, both in hardware
and software.  It's a wonderful thing if you write in assembler, and among
the gizmos I've added to my system are 2 good keyboards, an 8-bit parallel
I/O board, 16K (eventually I'll get around to piggybacking another 32K
above that), the only new $50 printer in existence, and a "robot" radio-
controlled car.  And all this for under $500, considering that I bought
90% of that stuff over 3 years ago!  Beat that, PC et al!

(Now if only I could buy about 128 of them and figure out parallel
processing...  (sigh)	:-}  )

	Camille Goudeseune, 2054 Waycross Cres., Mississauga, Ont., Can.
				L5K 1H9

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (07/23/85)

> Yes, I do admit to owning the volkswagen of computers.  Essentially, there
> is nothing the humble ZX can't do that, say, a PC can.  It's just slower,...

	Would the people trying to save net.micro.zx please edit their
followup lines to include ONLY net.news.group and net.micro.zx?  As a
subscriber to net.rec.disk, though not one which would defend it, I
would appreciate missing out on the ZX discussion...

			Bart Massey
			..tektronix!reed!bart