[net.news.config] Doomsday cometh

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (09/08/85)

In article <3223@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>In article <3568@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>So I think we haven't really lost control yet. If in fact the S/N
>>ratio does keep getting worse, we could easily start an elitist
>>net. Perhaps it would be moderated. But I think something could
>
>We? If it is elitist, who said you'd be invited onto it???? *smirk*
>--
>Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

Chuqui, I wrote to you and complained that I didn't appreciate such comments.
Your response was that it was "a harmless remark" and you would say that
to anyone. You also said some other nasty things about me which I won't
repeat here. You never said you were sorry you said it. Fine, I don't need
to be on a network with an insensitive fool like you anyway. Henceforth,
AMD does not talk to NSC. Farewell.
--
 A hacker is someone who orders Sweet and Sour Bitter Melon just because
 it is "an impossible combination".

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (09/10/85)

Phil sez:

	So I think we haven't really lost control yet. If in fact the
	S/N ratio does keep getting worse, we could easily start an
	elitist net. Perhaps it would be moderated. But I think
	something could ...

So, Chuq sez:

	We? If it is elitist, who said you'd be invited onto it???? *smirk*

So (of course), Phil sez:

	Fine, I don't need to be on a network with an insensitive fool
	like you anyway. Henceforth, AMD does not talk to NSC.
	Farewell.

"I'm taking my modem home..." ... come on guys. Does this need to be
a personal thing? We're talking about network connectivity here, not
just one person's feelings. I really have nothing to say about what
you two think of each other, but does it have to manifest itself at
the expense of Bay Area connectivity? Phil? You called me a "hairball"
the other day (without, I might add, a "*smirk*"...), but did I go
and find support from my SA to turn off AMD's feed from ucbvax?

Geeze... this is how wars start.

------------
Jordan Hayes        jordan@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
UC Berkeley                       ucbvax!jordan
+1 (415) 835-8767    37' 52.29" N 122' 15.41" W

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/10/85)

In article <3658@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <3223@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> >In article <3568@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> >
> >We? If it is elitist, who said you'd be invited onto it???? *smirk*
>
>............. You never said you were sorry you said it. Fine, I don't need
> to be on a network with an insensitive fool like you anyway. Henceforth,
> AMD does not talk to NSC. Farewell.

The *very* next article vnews showed me was Subject:  Re:  Proposal for
starting net.peace.  Ha!

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (09/11/85)

In article <3658@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

> ....You never said you were sorry you said it. Fine, I don't need
> to be on a network with an insensitive fool like you anyway. Henceforth,
> AMD does not talk to NSC. Farewell.

It seems that the elitism we all worried about wasn't the problem at
all -- it looks like the big problem is system administrators
choosing news feeds on the basis of personalities.

Phil and Chuqui had a spat, and Phil took all his marbles and went
home, unplugging his uucp connection with nsc as he did so. What a
marvellously mature way of arranging network connections! Next thing
you know, we'll do it on the basis of "my dad can beat your dad" and
"You're funny-looking."

Phil: you're the first one to publicly put elitism into practice. Are
you going to announce a policy of "be nice to Phil or lose your news
feeds," or do you plan to keep going on an ad hoc basis? Or, (please
please please) was it just overreaction to Chuqui's unique prose style?

--

		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/11/85)

>	We? If it is elitist, who said you'd be invited onto it???? *smirk*
>So (of course), Phil sez:
>
>	Fine, I don't need to be on a network with an insensitive fool
>	like you anyway. Henceforth, AMD does not talk to NSC.
>	Farewell.
>
>"I'm taking my modem home..." ... come on guys. Does this need to be
>a personal thing?

I'm sorry to see this has balooned out onto the net. There was no offense
meant to Phil or to anyone, and I'm very sorry to see that he took it the
way he did. I have long considered Phil a friend, I'm sorry to see that the
friendship doesn't seem to have survived the current situation. If Phil
feels he has to cut the links, I'm apologize to the network for putting him
in that position.

>Geeze... this is how wars start.

Only if both parties allow it. I never wanted anything to go public, and
I'm sorry Phil felt he had to make a statement on the situation. Anything I
say further, I'll say in private, since this really has nothing to do with
the net.
--
Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

An uninformed opinion is no opinion at all. If you dont know what you're
talking about, please try to do it quietly.

tombre@crin.UUCP (Karl Tombre) (09/14/85)

In article <3658@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Chuqui, I wrote to you and complained that I didn't appreciate such comments.
>Your response was that it was "a harmless remark" and you would say that
>to anyone. You also said some other nasty things about me which I won't
>repeat here. You never said you were sorry you said it. Fine, I don't need
>to be on a network with an insensitive fool like you anyway. Henceforth,
>AMD does not talk to NSC. Farewell.

I begin to wonder if you americans are adult people! How can you say
things like "I don't talk to you anymore." and meaning this? Children under
10 use to say such things... I cannot understand that it can be so difficult
to bear remarks like those of "Chuqui". I often hear such remarks but never
have I felt offensed in such a way by them.

--
--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN (Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy)
UUCP:    ...!vmucnam!crin!tombre  or    ...!inria!crin!tombre

"Car le plus lourd fardeau, c'est d'exister sans vivre."
                                  (Victor Hugo)