[net.lang] The Shortest EVER Merry Xmas!!!

srlm@ukc.UUCP (11/24/83)

Newsgroups: net.lang

	Look at this!!!
	You can write the Merry Christmas program in KRC
	just like

	{["Merry Christmas",nl] | c <- [1..15]} !

	wonderful, isn't it?

	ps: I am aware that this should be submitted to ded@aplvax,
	    but as everybody else is submitting to net.lang, I think
	    the above program must be seen!!!

	silvio lemos meira - computing laboratory - university of kent

	...!{vax135, mcvax}!ukc!srlm

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (11/26/83)

I beg to differ with the originator's claim of the shortest Merry Christmas
program.  This is the shortest:
	{+:1..15!"Merry Christmas"}

This is a short form version of the Turing language program:
	for : 1..15	% no index name needed if you don't want one
	    put "Merry Christmas"	% stream I/O and strings supported
	end for

Some comments about Turing:
	- it is new and is the only language taught in the
	  undergraduate courses at the University of Toronto
	- its ancestors include Euclid and Concurrent Euclid.
	  This means programs written in Turing can be (and
	  are being) verified mathematically.
	- it is written using the S/SL technology.  It is
	  highly portable and code generators are planned for
	  a wide variety of machines
	- short-forms are officially recognized and supported

There is a lot more I could say but this already sounds like an advertisement.
If you want to know more, Reston Publishing is handling the Turing textbook
written by Prof. R.C. Holt and Prof. J.N.P. Hume.
--
Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsrgv!perelgut

whm@arizona.UUCP (11/29/83)

Goodness gracious, such lack of imagination!  A puzzle: Tell me the
length (in characters) of the shortest possible program to print
Merry Christmas 15 times.

					Bill Mitchell
					whm.arizona@rand-relay
					{kpno,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!whm

condict@csd1.UUCP (Michael Condict) (11/29/83)

The shortest possible program to print Merry Christmas 15 times has
0 characters in my new language CXmas, which is defined to be exactly like
C but for the fact that a zero length program has the meaning that
"Merry Christmas" is to be printed 15 times on standard output.

There, was that more imaginative?

M. Condict		...!cmcl2!csd1!condict
New York Univ.

decot@cwruecmp.UUCP (Dave Decot) (11/30/83)

The shortest possible program to print Merry Christmas?  What is a "program"?
How about the csh "program"

where X is an alias for 'repeat 15 echo Merry Christmas' ?

Dave Decot
decvax!cwruecmp!decot    (Decot.Case@rand-relay)

robison@eosp1.UUCP (11/30/83)

There is a bug in your program for the shortest possible
program to print Merry...

How will your compiler detect that a zero-length program has been
submitted?

MY compiler, Cms, is identical to your complier, except that
whenever it has been inactive for 10 minutes, it assumes that a
zero length program has been submitted...

				- Keremath,  care of:
				  Robison
			          decvax!ittvax!eosp1
				  or:   allegra!eosp1

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (12/01/83)

    There is a bug in your program for the shortest possible
    program to print Merry...

    How will your compiler detect that a zero-length program has been
    submitted?

Cxmas /dev/null
--
			Barry Margolin