[net.lang] A quality Pascal for UNIX/VAX

elc@unc.UUCP (Dr. Ed Chaney ) (01/15/84)

Subject: RE: A quality Pascal for UNIX/VAX
Newsgroups: net.lang,net.lang.pascal

	First the bad news.  This comes as more of a reiteration than an
answer.  I, too, am looking for a *quality* Pascal.  By that I mean J&W
with at least the following set of extentions/features :

* Honest to Nick PACKED arrays/records
* random access file support
* external (seperate compilation)
* conformant (dynamically dimensioned, if you must) arrays
* #include
* a loophole function to get around that wonderful strong typing
	when you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY have to do it
* 850 types of optimization (10 or 12 will do if they're the RIGHT
	10 or 12)
* ALL characters of identifiers significant
* source-level debugger
* a beautifier w/ syntax checking
* optional disable of run-time checking for mature programs or
	those that need to fly

	What I have described above exists for many DEC operating systems
and, according to my sources, for 68000 UNIX.  It is supplied by a great
bunch of folks who call themselves Oregon Software.  I have used their
RT-11 (actually TSX-Plus, but who's counting?) version and love it.
	Now, here's the closest I can come to good news.  They are doing
everything but promising that an implementation for VAX/UNIX will be
available Real Soon Now (sorry, JP).  As I said, their 68000 UNIX version
and their VMS version are either ready or real close.
	What we need to do is get together and show them our money.  They
make a quality product and I would like your help in convincing them to
make just one more version.
	By the way, it's called Pascal-2 and is not cheap.  But I think
it's worth the price.  At least until we can get Modula-2.  Any takers?

					George W. Sherouse

Newsgroups: net.lang,net.lang.pascal

Subject: RE: a quality Pascal for VAX/UNIX
Newsgroups: net.lang.pascal