[net.lang] Question on standardized

taylor@sdccsu3.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (08/31/84)

	I am curious as to whether the dialect
	of Fortran that I use at work is a standard
	one or not...specifically, it allows you
	to do string slicing (ie, if STR is declared;

		  Character*50 STR

Then you can get a substring from it by
STR(1:20) would be a substring of the first 20
characters....

Is this standard?

			Thanks!

				Dave Taylor

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (09/01/84)

In article <2233@sdccsu3.UUCP> taylor@sdccsu3.UUCP writes:
>		  Character*50 STR
>
>Then you can get a substring from it by
>STR(1:20) would be a substring of the first 20
>characters....
>
>Is this standard?

I believe that this is standard Fortran-77.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

joe@petsd.UUCP (Joe Orost) (09/04/84)

<>
ANSI X3.9-1978 FORTRAN 77 Chapter 5

|5.7 Character Substring
|
|A character substring is a contiguous portion of a character datum and is of
|type character.  A character substring is identified by a substring name and
|may be assigned values and referenced.
|
|5.7.1 Substring Name.  The forms of a substring name are:
|
|	v ( [e1] : [e2] )
|
|	a ( s [,s]... ) ( [e1] : [e2] )
|
|where:	v   is a character variable name
|
|	a ( s [,s]... ) is a character array element name
|
|	e1  and e2 are each an integer expression and are called substring
|	    expressions

Substrings are not included in the subset language.

					regards,
					joe

--
Full-Name:  Joseph M. Orost
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!joe