[net.lang] Interpretation of Unadorned Iden

mwm@ea.UUCP (09/13/84)

/***** ea:net.lang / mit-eddi!barmar /  5:57 pm  Sep 11, 1984 */
In article <78@rlgvax.UUCP> jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) writes:
>If I
>remember correctly, Lisp treats one as a self-quoting constant.
>Lisp example:
>	(foo bar (bletch))
>In each example, the interpretation is to call bletch, then call
>foo with "bar" as its first argument, and the value returned from
>bletch is its second.

You remember incorrectly.

Only partly so. There is at least one LISP that sports a feature (well,
they *call* it a feature) called "auto-quote". Anytime you try to evaluate
an undefined atom, it gets bound to its printname. Hence (setq bar bletch)
binds the string "bletch" to bar.

This LISP also had "auto-cond'ing" and "auto-sequencing," which cause strange
an unexpected interpretation of mis-parenthesized code. If I remember
correctly, the *only* error message from this LISP system was "out of memory."

Yuch.

	<mike