[net.lang] Info wanted on Y compiler

tower@mit-hermes.ARPA (Leonard Tower) (08/27/85)

I am interested in talking to anyone who has used or worked with the Y
compiler developed at the University of Arizona by Hanson, Davidson,
Fraser, et.al.

I am particularly interested in hearing from hackers who have gotten
the distribution from Arizona, and installed and/or retargeted it.

The GNU Project is looking into using parts of this compiler technology.

Please reply to me at:
	tower@mit-prep.arpa
	..!mit-eddie!mit-prep!tower
I will summarize to USENET, if there is enough interest.

Thanx,
Len

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (08/30/85)

-
    OK, I'll bite. What is a Y compiler?

Tom Granvold
Tymnet

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (09/03/85)

In article <496@tymix.UUCP> granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) writes:
>-
>    OK, I'll bite. What is a Y compiler?
>
>Tom Granvold
>Tymnet
	Y is a language designed in the Dept. of Computer Science,
	University of Arizona. It is meant to replace Ratfor for
	software tools type applications. Y is a true compiler, which
	looks very much like ratfor. It lacks structures and pointers.
	Data structures: int, char, real.

	I installed it. It is very easy to re-target to a new architecture,
	although I have not done any re-targeting.

	With regards to the compiler technology: Y compiler is a standard
	recursive-descent compiler. No fancy technology there. The really
	interesting part is "po", a superp peephole-optimizer that can
	be set to work with Y compiler. "po" uses *architecture descriptions*
	for re-targeting. The typical output of "po" is just as good, or
	better in most part, than your standard C compiler in terms of
	code quality.

Oz

--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]