[net.lang] Information on C++/Object Oriented Programming

markl@vecpyr.UUCP (Mark Patrick) (10/18/85)

I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with information
on the availability of documentation/source for C++.  Does it support
any form of dynamic typing at runtime?  Also any infornmation on
versions of Flavors/Traits which are portable to Unix based
environments (in particular a pyramid).  Does anyone have any
experience using Neon/Object Pascal I would be very interested in
their appraisel of these systems.

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (10/23/85)

In article <131@vecpyr.UUCP> markl@vecpyr.UUCP (Mark Patrick) writes:
>I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with information
>on the availability of documentation/source for C++.  Does it support
>any form of dynamic typing at runtime?  Also any infornmation on
>versions of Flavors/Traits which are portable to Unix based
>environments (in particular a pyramid).  Does anyone have any
>experience using Neon/Object Pascal I would be very interested in
>their appraisel of these systems.

Me too. -- I am working in ML and it seems as if C++ is similar.

--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
CSNET:	todd@bu-cs
BITNET:	cscpyqc@bostonu
USNail:	29 Gordon Street #201, Brighton, MA 02135

ggs@ulysses.UUCP (Griff Smith) (10/23/85)

> I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with information
> on the availability of documentation/source for C++.  Does it support
> any form of dynamic typing at runtime?  Also any infornmation on
> versions of Flavors/Traits which are portable to Unix based
> environments (in particular a pyramid).  Does anyone have any
> experience using Neon/Object Pascal I would be very interested in
> their appraisel of these systems.

"The C++ Programming Language", Bjarne Stroustrup, Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company, Inc., ISBN O-201-12078-X.

Source available from: AT&T Software Sales and Marketing, Post
Office Box 25000, Greensboro, North Carolina, 27420.  Phone
1-800-828-UNIX (i.e. 8649); in North Carolina call collect,
(919) 279-3666.
--

Griff Smith	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill
Phone:		(201) 582-7736

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (10/26/85)

> I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with information
> on the availability of documentation/source for C++.

  Addison-Wesley has just published Bjarne Stroustrup's book on C++.
The C++ "compiler" (actually a preprocessor) has also been released
by AT&T as a buy-able product.  See those corp.s for more info.

Bob Devine
Burroughs DSG/Boulder

fmg@galon (Pat Gallivan) (10/28/85)

In article <131@vecpyr.UUCP> markl@vecpyr.UUCP (Mark Patrick) writes:
>I would be most grateful if someone could provide me with information
>on the availability of documentation/source for C++.

At the recent ACM conference in Denver one of the Speakers was Bjarne
Stroustrup the author of C++.  He announced that C++ was being released
as version 1.0. with release notes.

In addition his book "The C++ Programming Language", Addison-Wesley,
1985 (Code #12078) was just then being released.

The release handout was rather long describing the features, hardware support
distribution and pricing amoung other things.  The language features including
data abstraction and object based programming were mentioned.  If there is
enough interest from the net I'll transcribe the whole release otherwise
contact AT&T Software Sales and Marketing,  P. O. Box 25000, Greensboro,
North Carolina, 27420.

----
Pat Gallivan @                   UUCP: ..!seismo!hao!nbires!isis!galon!fmg
Galon Exploration, Inc.
7122 S. Fillmore,                       (303) 770-6229
Littleton, CO  80122             Data:  (303) 771-0258

"It is better to 'backup' then go forward."