[net.lang] Re.: Information on C++

bs@alice.UucP (Bjarne Stroustrup) (10/30/85)

> From: jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West)

> Subject: Information on C++

> The gist seems to be that if you have an AT&T license, you can

> get the source code for a C++ to C translator for $2k, supplied

> without support (shades of pre-divestiture).  Although it's

> designed only for AT&T computers, it is said to run on machines

> that have a C compiler that

>	* supports variable names of arbitrary length, and

>	* support structure assignment.

> I know it has run on VAX's running System V and BSD 4.2.

> For more info, it's 800 828-UNIX.

> I am not in any way affiliated with the purveyors of the cult of UNIX.

Thanks, and a minor correction/addition:

	I don't believe you need an AT&T Licence
	(but ask AT&T: 800-828-UNIX or 919-279-3666).

	The $2K is a commercial source licence, a university gets it for $250
	(more shades of pre-divestiture).

	C++ is in use on AT&T 3Bs, VAXs, Apollos, Suns, Pyramids, Amdahls, and
	several others, using whatever OS they have. I don't keep track any more.
	The C++ translator can be used as a cross compiler, so it is hard to keep
	track. You normally need a VAX or a 3B to get started, though.