[net.lang] Info re: Microosft OEM MASM Upgrades

sandraj@microsoft.UUCP (Sandra Jacobson) (01/03/86)

Users of a Microsoft OEM'ed Macro Assembler/MASM (with (C) Microsoft on it)
can now to update to the latest version of the Microsoft Macro
Assembler v 4.00.  For details, contact Microsoft at (800) 426-9400.
In Washington State and Alaska call (206)828-8088. In Canada call (800)
387-6616.

System Requirements: MS-DOS 2.0 or later and Double Sided/Double Density
    5-/14 diskette format

This applies to copies of MASM that were purchased from OEMs only.  Copies
of MASM that were purchased from Microsoft are supported and updated under
the existing agreements.

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/04/86)

In article <8798@microsoft.UUCP> sandraj@microsoft.UUCP (Sandra Jacobson)
writes:

>Users of a Microsoft OEM'ed Macro Assembler/MASM (with (C) Microsoft on it)
>can now to update to the latest version of the Microsoft Macro
>Assembler v 4.00.  ....

   This is very interesting.  Presumably Microsoft will admit that this was
prompted by the recent complaint.
   On the one hand this shows that Microsoft is willing to support their
customers even if when they are not required to do so, which is certainly good.
But on the other hand it seems to provide an incentive for more people to flame
on the net with their misconceived notions about what kind of support is owed to
them.  After all, if it gets results...

   -- David desJardins

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (01/05/86)

In article <11349@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) writes:
>    This is very interesting.  Presumably Microsoft will admit that this was
> prompted by the recent complaint.
>    On the one hand this shows that Microsoft is willing to support their
> customers even if when they are not required to do so, which is certainly good.
> But on the other hand it seems to provide an incentive for more people to flame
> on the net with their misconceived notions about what kind of support is owed to
> them.  After all, if it gets results...
>
>    -- David desJardins

	:-) I hope. After all, this policy was probably the result of careful
thought by some people at Microsoft prompted by feedback from many customers.
The recent volley probably just brought it to our attention. I think that
the flames are understandable out of frustration, but I have to rate Microsofts
customer support better than average. Now, if only the upgrade pricing policies
were reasonable...
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/10/86)

In article <8798@microsoft> sandraj@microsoft (Sandra Jacobson) writes:

>Users of a Microsoft OEM'ed Macro Assembler/MASM (with (C) Microsoft on it)
>can now to update to the latest version of the Microsoft Macro
>Assembler v 4.00.  For details, contact Microsoft at (800) 426-9400.
>In Washington State and Alaska call (206)828-8088. In Canada call (800)
>387-6616.

In Canada, an upgrade costs $145.  The price for MASM without a
trade-in is $210.  The discount is a whopping 30% ...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979